Orca attack

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Unlike humans, I think Orca's kill for food, we may possibly be on their poison list.
They do it for fun as well as teaching, plenty of videos showing them playing with seals until they are dead, also great whites with a single killing bite taken from them. It’s fanciful in the extreme to think if presented with the opportunity they wouldn’t do the same with a human. It’s only because there is very little chance of direct interaction in water between our species and Orcas that deaths and attacks are not reported

RobbieW

Visit site
They do it for fun as well as teaching, plenty of videos showing them playing with seals until they are dead, also great whites with a single killing bite taken from them. It’s fanciful in the extreme to think if presented with the opportunity they wouldn’t do the same with a human. It’s only because there is very little chance of direct interaction in water between our species and Orcas that deaths and attacks are not reported
There is still no evidence that Orca kill humans in the wild. They are clearly intelligent and have displayed creative ways of catching prey. Yet there are no reports, even anecdotal , of them killing humans.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
There is still no evidence that Orca kill humans in the wild. They are clearly intelligent and have displayed creative ways of catching prey. Yet there are no reports, even anecdotal , of them killing humans.
Because the two species are never in the water together. If you wish to test your theory go out onto the water find a pod and swim amongst them, a black wet suit and some nice big fins will help. I am sure you will have a wonderful and exciting experience

RobbieW

Visit site
Because the two species are never in the water together. If you wish to test your theory go out onto the water find a pod and swim amongst them, a black wet suit and some nice big fins will help. I am sure you will have a wonderful and exciting experience
That would be stupid, I'd deserve whatever happened. My point is that they are quite capable of getting to us if they wanted to yet there is no evidence of that happening. With the rudder incidents, the Orca are quite capable of sinking the boats then picking off the crew in the water yet that doesn't happen.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
That would be stupid, I'd deserve whatever happened. My point is that they are quite capable of getting to us if they wanted to yet there is no evidence of that happening. With the rudder incidents, the Orca are quite capable of sinking the boats then picking off the crew in the water yet that doesn't happen.
It doesn’t happen with great whites either because they have learned about swimmers of the beaches there is nothing to say that Orcas won’t attack humans if the opportunity or need arises.

greeny

Visit site
It doesn’t happen with great whites either because they have learned about swimmers of the beaches there is nothing to say that Orcas won’t attack humans if the opportunity or need arises
Until the first time! They hadn't sunk a boat by chewing its rudder and creating a leak until 2/3 years ago, they have now, several times. They don't even have to attack the humans in the water, just sinking the boat by damaging its hull integrity puts the crew at risk from drowning or other risks.

Kola

Visit site

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I'm off to Greece in a couple of weeks. Along with the usual pair of pingers (which thankfully have yet to be used, nor do I want to use them) I'm quite interested in the reports that throwing sand into the water can help. Fisherman have reported the cloudy water interferes with the Orca's location system, and a bucket of it sitting on the taff rail has to be worth a try.

Ultimately it's just luck of the draw currently. No remedy has been shown to conclusively work, and I'm not convinced by the advice to stick inshore/keep to the African side/stay deep; I think it's just pot luck. The Orcas will just follow their food source. I still think the best course would be to electronically tag the pod's matriarch and make that location available to any interested parties. It could be overlaid on a plotter in the same way as AIS.

GHA

Visit site
, and I'm not convinced by the advice to stick inshore/keep to the African side/stay deep; I think it's just pot luck.
Join the telegram group. there masses of data on there & inside the 20m contour line has been shown to be very safe by the lack of incidents with many hundreds of passages through waters where incidents did happen in deeper water.
It works.

Major_Clanger

Visit site
Join the telegram group. there masses of data on there & inside the 20m contour line has been shown to be very safe by the lack of incidents with many hundreds of passages through waters where incidents did happen in deeper water.
It works.
I took the inshore route once and found it comparatively stressful at night. A plethora of unlit and poorly marked pots and buoys put me off the idea. Without wishing to tempt fate, I've been up and down that coast many times over the last few years and haven't even seen an Orca yet, let alone have one pay me any attention. I'll take pot luck for the moment (but with one ear and eye open to fresh ideas!).

GHA

Visit site
I took the inshore route once and found it comparatively stressful at night. A plethora of unlit and poorly marked pots and buoys put me off the idea. Without wishing to tempt fate, I've been up and down that coast many times over the last few years and haven't even seen an Orca yet, let alone have one pay me any attention. I'll take pot luck for the moment (but with one ear and eye open to fresh ideas!).
everyone else seems to manage it OK.....

the noforeignland app is well worth installing, it has all the incidents uploaded with positions & any new ones are added as soon as they are reported on orcas.pt. data can be downloaded with the click of a button so works offline.

I've been in under 20m water & watched a boat a mile further out getting spun round calling mayday...

Major_Clanger

Visit site
everyone else seems to manage it OK.....

the noforeignland app is well worth installing, it has all the incidents uploaded with positions & any new ones are added as soon as they are reported on orcas.pt. data can be downloaded with the click of a button so works offline.

I've been in under 20m water & watched a boat a mile further out getting spun round calling mayday...
Oh I managed it fine, it was just a PITA in comparison.

Not heard of that app before but it looks really good, thanks. Am downloading it as I type.