Options along Medway river. - Chatham berth expires end oct and i cannot afford the renewal cost

Capt Popeye

Visit site
The other benefit Chatham has is the water is colder due to being deeper, has virtually no mud in it and is less saline meaning weed does not grow as easily.

You make an interesting point there Capt C ; might I ask , are there still any comments about the Electrical Discharge into the Chatham Marina these days ; there was i recall talk of a Flouresent Glow during the dark Nights sometimes , a relic of the Neuclear Subs I recall ? {:))#

Concerto

Visit site
You make an interesting point there Capt C ; might I ask , are there still any comments about the Electrical Discharge into the Chatham Marina these days ; there was i recall talk of a Flouresent Glow during the dark Nights sometimes , a relic of the Neuclear Subs I recall ? {:))#
Never seen anything. Probably more likely to be luminescent creatures in the water or just uninformed comment.

PeterMax

Visit site
I was in Chatham, caught a sea bass, good thing I did not eat it due to the glow! Preferred Chatham to Gillingham where I spent a year as well. As you say, Chatham is a nice fancy place with lots of stuff around. Change is as good as a holiday though! Moved to a swing mooring at Queenborough due to budget and location, much easier out into the sea as Chatham is too far away up the Medway. Love it there, use the boat much more, working harbour, nice gang, more rustic and 'adventurous', like sleeping on the boat, etc. Have dinghy but their trot is great in summer, have to book it in winter. I sail year round though so don't take the boat out for winter. Anti-fouled between tides on their scrubbing stand in the creek harbour. £1112 per year for 9m boat and dinghy storage.

ChathamSailor

Visit site
I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but having the boat in the river compared to either of the marinas, fouling will be a big issue regardless of your new copper coat.

This year has been particularly bad, we’re scrubbing off monthly, some of the waterline weed grows to 18’’ long in 4 weeks!

I’d lean toward a facility with scrubbing facilities if I were you.

Regarding getting a mooring at MYC, the only way you’ll get a swinging mooring is to join, get involved in club activities, volunteer for a few bits, ‘who’s that new member?’….‘that’s UK Woozy, he/she’s really helpful etc,’

Come mooring allocation time, (members need to commit to 2023 by end of January), they’ll know what spares they have and I reckon your participation in club activities will have an impact on how successful you’ll be.

A well trodden path is accept a fore and aft for a year, get involved in the club and you’ll be at the front of the queue.

I can’t imagine there’s a list of non members in the office that want swinging moorings that’ll get a phone call to join when one becomes free.

When you look at the age demographic, a couple of people sell up and retire every year so it’s not exactly dead mans shoes territory.

The other option would be swinging mooring at REYC or RNSA, opposite/adjacent to Chatham MDL, although I don’t know contact details for these.

ChathamSailor

Visit site
I was on Thunderbolt Pier for two years. Did not have a problem with fouling ( after a very well applied Coppercoat) at Gillingham Marina ( done in the shed in very controlled conditions temperature wise.

oldgit

Visit site
on visits to MDL Chatham noticed boats with noticeable fouling, mainly long strands of weed. This simply may be due to the fact that they may have not moved for ages.
Have not noticed this sort of fouling on any boats in the tideway.
As for some of the urban myths about Chatham have yet to experience any of them.
Not being one to waste an opportunity however.................

The hooter blows 10 mins before the end of the shift, a forklift driver has a part full drum of heavy electric cable on the tine.
It is long way back to the the workshop to securely store the cable and will take some time.
The drum is promptly dumped into the dock and the "worker" can knock off as the final hooter goes.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
i ended up at Gillingham. good thing too as need to get the boat lifted again soon for the lift keel and at chatham a lift and hold is costly due to only one crane. on the other hand the water seems very murky and the action camera i used to see if the keel is still there wasnt able to see anything where as at chatham the water was very clear and would of been visible

oldgit

Visit site
i ended up at Gillingham. good thing too as need to get the boat lifted again soon for the lift keel and at chatham a lift and hold is costly due to only one crane. on the other hand the water seems very murky and the action camera i used to see if the keel is still there wasnt able to see anything where as at chatham the water was very clear and would of been visible

Almost certainly due the vast numbers of oysters in MDL Chatham constantly filtering the water .
Difficult to find anywhere now on the river not boasting nice crop of oysters.
The water quality has improved vastly over the years, you will however need permission from ROFF to harvest them.
Do know of folks who after having filtered them in freshwater for 48 hours, have found them very tasty.
Not sure if they are Pacific or Native ?
Once very common in the Medway a couple of hard winters in the 1800s and then pollution finally finished them off as a commercial crop.

ROFF Today | roff

Last edited:

Capt Popeye

Visit site

I was at Gillingham a good few years ago , understand that it has changed hands now , was berthed in the Floating Tidal berths ; t'was very easy to leave the Marina on a floating tide , and the Staff were very friendly /knowledgeable as well

oldgit

Visit site
I was at Gillingham a good few years ago , understand that it has changed hands now , was berthed in the Floating Tidal berths ; t'was very easy to leave the Marina on a floating tide , and the Staff were very friendly /knowledgeable as well

The chandlery in Gillingham has now closed and the space vacated up for rent.
Chris the man in charge has always been very helpful and customer freindly.
The drying tidal berths have never been that busy.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
The chandlery in Gillingham has now closed and the space vacated up for rent.
Chris the man in charge has always been very helpful and customer freindly.
The drying tidal berths have never been that busy.

Thank you that iformation ; as a fred drift , I worked week ends in the Chandlery for a few years , that was many years ago now ; Charlie was the manager back then , he i understand was manager through many changes to the Marina ; the existing showrooms were used by a Car Dealership before becomming a Chandlery ; good memories of my time served in the Chandlery , thats when I bought a Yacht already berthed in the Floating berths

As working all weekend Chandlery I slept Sat /Sun aboard Yacht and could used the Marina facilities

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Of all the marinas offering services to non berth holders have found Gillingham to be good value for money and by far the best to .................
A .Book and get a lift.
B. Virtually at any state of tide.
C Decent proper hoists.
D. A clean tidy dry yard with easy but secure access.
E. Did have chandlery on site.
F. Nice little cafe .