Options along Medway river. - Chatham berth expires end oct and i cannot afford the renewal cost

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Of all the marinas offering services to non berth holders have found Gillingham to be good value for money and by far the best to .................
A .Book and get a lift.
B. Virtually at any state of tide.
C Decent proper hoists.
D. A clean tidy dry yard with easy but secure access.
E. Did have chandlery on site.
F. Nice little cafe .

Well I quite agree with the comments above ; worked there for a few years , when the Parham family ran it ; thought it was a real Boaters Marina run for Boating

Re the Chandlery , maybe some other Chandlery might open a branch there in the future ? Offering easy , safe parking with poss a cafe in a Boating environment = great stuff ; maybe even call in by boat , moor up outside , who knows ?

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
Well I quite agree with the comments above ; worked there for a few years , when the Parham family ran it ; thought it was a real Boaters Marina run for Boating

Re the Chandlery , maybe some other Chandlery might open a branch there in the future ? Offering easy , safe parking with poss a cafe in a Boating environment = great stuff ; maybe even call in by boat , moor up outside , who knows ?
as i mentioned, Pirates cave is opening a branch within the marina grounds, where the cafe used to be

Capt Popeye

Visit site
as i mentioned, Pirates cave is opening a branch within the marina grounds, where the cafe used to be

Well yes when I worked in the Chandlery for a few years , Pirates Cave was oft mentioned by potential Customers in the Chandlery , when comparing item prices and service / availability etc

Gillingham being on good trade relationship with item suppliers , oft meant that we could order an item for a customer on Friday for First Delivery following day l which ws very good for business

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
before my move to the medway river in 2021 I was at Erith yacht club for 10+ years, so back then the chandleries seemed a long way to go and i would just use whatever chandlery had the best price via the websites. But i did buy a honda outboard and other bits and peices directly from Gillingham chandlery over those years

sailorman

Visit site
Nothing wrong with either marina. Gillingham’s lock is tidally restricted, not a problem if time is on your side, Chatham is 24/7 with 1.5m draft.

Unfortunately if you want walk on/walk off access it comes at a cost.

MYC is the most expensive club but it has the best facilities on the river, scrubbing, lifting, storage ashore and a trot boat to ferry you about. Budget a £1k less than Chatham MDL all in.

The cheaper down the scale you go the less you get, there’s no silver bullet solution to cost vs facilities.

Set your max budget and accept the inconvenience it brings.
?