One For The Buffs

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Is it a planing barge?

Not sure if it's a planing barge, but it does have a V hull. Thing is on the canal, if I try to go faster than walking pace, then the arse end clangs on the bottom and all the water in the canal just rushes backwards. Would trim tabs help keep the arse end up??

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk

I would suggest fitting a couple of shopping trolleys to the back, should be a plentiful supply in the canal, although I'd be wary of exceeding their design speed as it may initiate a full blown trolley wheel tankslapper, you may be able to accelerate through this without disrupting your structural integrity if you have enough horsepower.

jfm

Visit site
Can you tell us:

1. What rpm gives 4kts?
2. What is the max rpm of the 'gine, or even what exact make/model is the 'gine?

Then can extrapolate a bit

I'd expect something like 8knots top with 65hp but some more maths would help

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Umm! I'll try. A little bit brum brum, is about the same speed as old man walking dog. Or. 1000 revs keeps folk happy in marina, but it dont steer very well, 1200 revs is ok down canal, with very few grumbles. 1800 revs seems about warp speed without dragging all water out of canal and equates to sort of smart walking pace. Think max engine speed in gear is maybe 3000 cant remember really. Never been that fast!! Engine is Vetus though it must be sumat else really. Speed is all effected by lack of water depth in canal and volume of water, so like I said. Water tends to go back instead of boat going forwards. Used to have fun with this years ago on N Broads, get up little river, give boat full bore, drag all water back, then stick in nutral and surf down wave. Barge dont seem to happy with doing this though. This might help.

Vetus. D4 29

deborahann

Visit site

In answer to where the barge will be used, most of the potential purchasers (or should I say tyre kickers) are aiming to take the barge to France, or boat on UK rivers. Its not an ideal canal boat as its designed for rivers like the Thames or Trent.

Been on the Thames with it and the engine size was fine, until the enviro people let huge torrents of water down the river, then I think any boat would have had difficulty, could still go upriver against the flood but it was slow.

& if this helps re the engine debate size it has a V shaped hull, which is great for Canal use, as it doesn't go aground, unlike a previous 62 foot narrow boat, which was like punting in that at times. Oh & its a Vetus engine.

& I've someone looking at it this Saturday, he was having a new one built by the same boat builder (who built my barge) which he's now cancelled as he realised he had to pay huge amount of VAT on it. Anyone know what the current position re VAT on a new boat purchase is it still you can claim it back only if you live on the boat. i.e. its your main residence.