On way to Gib

Heckler

Visit site
But noticed on th Navtex last week that gale warnings for gale force 8 in the Straights for a few days! Is this a regular occurance at this time of the year? Plus the realisation has hit that marina charges are likely for the next few weeks! So any ideas for anchoring, Bay of Cadiz etc on the way down?
Stu

GrahamM376

Visit site
But noticed on th Navtex last week that gale warnings for gale force 8 in the Straights for a few days! Is this a regular occurance at this time of the year? Plus the realisation has hit that marina charges are likely for the next few weeks! So any ideas for anchoring, Bay of Cadiz etc on the way down?
Stu

Two anchorages in Cadiz bay. The one we usually use is under the new bridge then turn to stbd and follow the bridge towards the small boat marina in the corner. Good holding in thick mud. In easterlies, anchor outside Pt Sherry behind breakwater.

Heckler

Visit site
Two anchorages in Cadiz bay. The one we usually use is under the new bridge then turn to stbd and follow the bridge towards the small boat marina in the corner. Good holding in thick mud. In easterlies, anchor outside Pt Sherry behind breakwater.
Thanks Graham, you always come up trumps! Good to chat the other day. Stayed in Culatra two nights. Tried to go out the next day, two metre swell, the thought of that with the donk on to Ayamonte, nah! so came back.
Bashed on the next day, still lumpy at the start but moderated. Still had to engine for 5 hours though! Ran the new seal in nicely!
Mazagon tomoz then it looks like northerlys for the next couple of days.
S

capnsensible

Visit site
The anchorage outside Puerto Sherry is very good, between the marina and the training wall for Santa Maria.

Sancti Petri is actually really interesting. Care necessary with tide. Wouldn't anchor, holding is pants. Call yacht club or wave at marineros to get mooring buoy, not very expensive and includes water taxi 24 hours. Couple of bars, great tapas. Was cleared out by Franco for use as a military training area. Tumbledown, eccentric, cheap! Been loads.

It's nearly always windy in the Straits but progress can be made if you use the tide and current. Best to be off Trafalgar about 3to 4 hours before HW Gib. Once you get past Tarifa, wind will be a lot less if it's easterly.

Gissa shout if you want to know anything about Gib. Will be back there on Friday.

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
The anchorage outside Puerto Sherry is very good, between the marina and the training wall for Santa Maria.

Sancti Petri is actually really interesting. Care necessary with tide. Wouldn't anchor, holding is pants. Call yacht club or wave at marineros to get mooring buoy, not very expensive and includes water taxi 24 hours. Couple of bars, great tapas. Was cleared out by Franco for use as a military training area. Tumbledown, eccentric, cheap! Been loads.

It's nearly always windy in the Straits but progress can be made if you use the tide and current. Best to be off Trafalgar about 3to 4 hours before HW Gib. Once you get past Tarifa, wind will be a lot less if it's easterly.

Gissa shout if you want to know anything about Gib. Will be back there on Friday.

In Mazagon marina now, lumpy, hot, motor from Ayamonte. Actually started sailing for about half an hour then it all dropped. Same conditions tomoz by the look of it. Thinking of staying here for another day and wait for more wind on Thursday.
S

Heckler

Visit site

In Rota now, looking better next week, thinking of leave here on Tuesday, Barbate, then leave there 5.15am on Wed for Gib. Looks as if the big winds are moving to tomoz and Monday so lo easterly/south easterly with hi. tide Gib on Wed about 08.15
thoughts appreciated?
Stu

capnsensible

Visit site
In Rota now, looking better next week, thinking of leave here on Tuesday, Barbate, then leave there 5.15am on Wed for Gib. Looks as if the big winds are moving to tomoz and Monday so lo easterly/south easterly with hi. tide Gib on Wed about 08.15
thoughts appreciated?
Stu

Sounds good, bet you end up with the engine on as you get east of Tarifa!

Came past Tarifa on a bus yesterday, looked bumpy as tcm says, bangety boom.

Tip. If you want to get into Marina Bay, give them a bell monday with your eta wednesday, about 3ish? They will reserve a berth and then call on VHF 71 as you get round North Mole. If you haven't been here for a while, you will see a line of red PHM's to take you up to the runway.

Avagoodone!

:encouragement:

skipperwales

Visit site
Sounds good, bet you end up with the engine on as you get east of Tarifa!

Came past Tarifa on a bus yesterday, looked bumpy as tcm says, bangety boom.

Tip. If you want to get into Marina Bay, give them a bell monday with your eta wednesday, about 3ish? They will reserve a berth and then call on VHF 71 as you get round North Mole. If you haven't been here for a while, you will see a line of red PHM's to take you up to the runway.

Avagoodone!

Probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but are you planning to leave a little early? I left Barbate at 7am on 12 July with HW Gib 09.50. Tides worked out fine, but quite sporting fog half way down to Tarifa which suddenly vanished and was replaced by a decent blow all the way to La Linea.

Mistake I did make was to cut inside the cardinal as i turned into Gibraltar bay. There's an ODAS buoy marked on the chart, but with the sea state and the tide running it was impossible to see it which made me a bit anxious, otherwise very straightforward.

Bill

Heckler

Visit site
Probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but are you planning to leave a little early? I left Barbate at 7am on 12 July with HW Gib 09.50. Tides worked out fine, but quite sporting fog half way down to Tarifa which suddenly vanished and was replaced by a decent blow all the way to La Linea.

Mistake I did make was to cut inside the cardinal as i turned into Gibraltar bay. There's an ODAS buoy marked on the chart, but with the sea state and the tide running it was impossible to see it which made me a bit anxious, otherwise very straightforward.

Bill
In Barbate, 6.5 kts with a nice E 12 kt beam breeze till just south of Cadiz, then it went SW then Se and then 22 knots so tacked all the way down with the donk on as I turned east to trafalgar, v bumpy! Question I answered myself, can you get in to Barbate from the west between the tunny and the netrance? YES! Never even saw the fecking thing! Just a old gimmer in a small boat by the entrance.
Stu

Visit site
Hi Stu, You make me feel quite nostalgic I haven't been to Rota for a couple of years and Gib for six - used to go frequently, the first time we were able to park in the old sub pens but that was nearly forty years ago. Enjoy Gib, its a great place.
Jim

Heckler

Visit site

Feck me, up at the crack of dawn, just left the pontoon, down came the fog! Mate went out first, I stooged, he came back in, we waited till nearly 8, still drifting in, didnt fancy messing with tunny nets so we have to wait till weekend unless we cqn do it on this afternoons slot, trouble is the. argins are fine. Working on the Straits Sailing book for tide flows and start times.
Stu

skipperwales

Visit site
Straits sailing book spot on . Like you I came in to Barbate looking for the inner mark on the Tunny nets and couldn't find it. The outer marks seemed to be there. Going South, the outer mark on the tunny net marked on the chart about 5 miles or so South of Barbate wasn't there, tho again the inner marks were. The rest of the passage was clear of nets or pots, but the fog was pretty dense.

GrahamM376

Visit site
, didnt fancy messing with tunny nets

Unless Cap says different, the only net you may come across is off Zahara beach as you will be inside the Barbate one if you follow the beach for half a mile. They may all have been taken in by now though. Tarifa can be fun in fog, we had close encounter with the ferry and other yachts last year.

capnsensible

Visit site
Hi y'all.

Not been west for a few weeks so don't know which tuna nets are out. They are well marked though unlike the nasty little odas buoys East of Tarifa and off. Punts Canero.

Was forecast light easterlies today so naturally when we rounded Europa Point a couple of hours ago it was a honkin sw6....

the Tarifa weather broadcast was spot on. Listen for call up on 16, then switch channel 10. Swaps every two hours with Tangier but Tarifa one much better. 1015, 1415, 1815 etc.

Avagoodone.

Heckler

Visit site
I would probably leave at 8 tomorrow morning.

Been looking at tomoz morning but the wind is easterly and building in the afternoon, realistically how long should it take to get to Tarifa and Gib from Barbate. Working on my ave 5 kts, do we get enough lift from the tide and go outside the Zaharah net thing then head fir Tarifa close to shore?
S

skipperwales

Visit site
An 8 am start would fit the tide, it took me 6 hours, motoring at 5 knots for the first couple of hours. We didn't really pick up much tide for the first couple of hours and then there was quite a lift. Looking at the forecast I'd be a bit concerned about wind over tide around Tarifa and in the straits and I'd be inclined to wait until the wind is favourable, but that's based on my experience of one trip.