On the hook, UK, winter

nathanlee

Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anybody is aware of anybody that has wintered in the UK in a fairly remote anchorage? Any blogs or books or similar I can be pointed to?

My google searching is not turning up much of use.

typhoonNige

Visit site
Have a look at " Phoenix from the Ashes" by Justin Tyers. IIRC he and wife Linda overwintered on the Fal - not that remote but certainly far from the madding crowd. It's a good read and describes an interesting liveaboard experience with some great wit and illustrations too. Nice couple if you ever come across them.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The backwater in Suffolk had the odd liveabourd and so did the Orwell , your surrounded by marsh land on the backwater and the odd bouy use to be left out for used althought I not sure if they would be happy if a full time liveaboud stayed on it , you could always ask and pay a small sum

nathanlee

Visit site
I'd go for the books, rather than the blogs, if I were you, Nathan. You can burn them on the stove to keep warm when you've finished reading 'em.;)

But sorry, no. I'm not aware of any. Do let us know if you find any: I'd be interested, too.

Will do. I found out yesterday that some old friends have been around the NW coast for the last 4 years as full time liveaboards, and love it. I must try to get in touch with them. Eek, it feels like only a few months ago since I saw them - scary how quick time vanishes.

I do prefer books to be honest, but presumed I might struggle to find something so niche.

Thanks for your suggestion, Nige. I'll see if I can get my hands on that.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Yes, I hope Nathan doesn't desert us here on Liveaboard because of the blood-letting going on in the Lounge*.
It was good to see you back again on YBW sir, after your recent long absence!

(*watch The Godfather for Clemenza's judgement about the brutal inevitability of periodic bad-blood-cleansing amongst the Mafioso!)

Last edited: