Old fuel

PaulJ

Visit site
Re: You think YOUV\'E got problems!

Ummm.... Not quite. It is a long keeled boat, built on frames. The keel is divided into sections between the frames. The aft three sections are capped off and make up the main fuel tank and the next five sections are also capped with a steel plate and house the ballast. The steel capping plates are not quite at the top of the keel so the bilge "sump" is the bit of the keel above the steel capping plates.

The bottom of the keel/tank is about 6ft below the engine's lift pump which is too much for the lift pump to cope with when the tank is low so I have had to fit a "day tank" and the fuel is first filtered when being pumped from the main tank up to the day tank so hopefully that filter will catch most of any crud. It is then filtered again between the day-tank and the engine..... and then of course the engine has it's own filter mounted on it so I think the fuel that reaches the engine should be pretty clean. I don't know much about the chemistry of diesel or any other fuel but my concern was that any "lighter factions" in the fuel may have evaporated or somehow otherwise been affected by the long period of storage.......

Paul.

<hr width=100% size=1>I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.....

G

Diesel is a medium distillate and does not have the same tendency as Gasoline to light fractions. Of course all fuels have light ends - but with diesel etc. its not a problem.

The fuel would have to be stored in completely open containers and subject to high ambient temp. to really make it unuseable ...

I would now suggest - after reading your 'pipe-line' route and its filters ..... can you suck up fuel via the first filter and check ? I would dare to suggest that it would be ok - unless your tank has been subject to some ingress of crap etc. Second I would think that condensation collection inside the steel would be a possibility .... causing a pool of water in the base of the tanks.

The only way to be 100% sure ...... is to disconnect all filters, pump out all the fuel into drums. Flush out tanks with filtered fuel (old fuel you just pumped out should be fine for this) - this flush can be drummed also separately to settle out. Then filter remaining fuel back - mixing it with fresh fuel. THerefore using the old fuel over a period.

But to be honest - I would draw of the fuel and filter it back to the tank without all the palaver .......

You would actually be amazed at the condition of storage tanks in some places and also the condition of some fuel tanks on boats and cars ......

My mothers VW was notorious for cutting out - the fuel tank for years hadn't been filled full and I borrowed the car one time - I filled the tank full as is my habit. I had no problem - but later myu mum had to have the tank drained ...... falkes had been washed of the upper parts of the tank and had settled under the pick-up tube. Cure .... drop out contents of tank, bend the end of the pick-up tube so that it was not veryical to the base of tank, filter the fuel back.

I can only say that a few people have trouble with fuel - for many different reasons .... this then leads to fuel worries about cutting out, blocked filters, biocides etc. etc. Sensible measures and care with fuel normally repays with good service.

I for one use no biocide, keep fuel over years, my boat dioesel tank is presently about 40% full and boat will stand for possibly another 3-4 months - maybe till next spring ....... I have had no fuel related problems so far ..... there's me touching wood. Yes and before someone picks me up on it - the part full tank is against my own advise..... I didn't have time to fill it up before leaving.

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ... and of course Yahoo groups :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

PaulJ

Visit site

Thanks Nigel,

In fact the tank is absolutly full right up to the top so hopefully there should be no condensation. If you think the fuel should not have deteriorated I think once I get it in the water I will run it on load for an hour or so against a spring and if it seems ok I will risk it.

Paul.

<hr width=100% size=1>I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.....

G

Fine ..... but I have to say that I am only going by what you have said and any other factors I cannot use in my answer .... therefore I must be clear that all has been my honest opinion based on my experience and testing of fuels.

The only real problem with diesel - is not so much will it fire - its actually sediments and other blocking fine filters. A diesel engine is actually a pretty crude piece of kit !

PaulJ

Visit site

OK Nigel..... I won't sue you if it stops! ;o)

oldharry

Visit site

But do please make sure that there is no water in it. If water gets past the filters and separators it will wreck the pump and possibly the injectors too.

Secondly, it may run fine in harbour, but as the level drops a bumpy sea will stir up the crud in the tank, so be prepared for unexpected stoppages, and carry several spare filters!

I agree with Nigel the fuel itself should be OK, but there could be an awful lot of muck lurking in the bottom waiting to be stirred up - I would transfer it a bit at a time to a holding tank via a filter and separator and run the engine off that, rather than feeding it directly to your engines pump and injectors, risking engine stoppages and expensive damage.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Can you before running ...

stir up tank and effectively flush all sediments out with the old fuel and then filter back ?

It would be a good idea to try and ensure that at least sediments don't block any filters ... plus of course dragging out any water etc.

If I was back in UK - you could test the fuel in my engine - I need a charitable hand at moment !!!!

PaulJ

Visit site
Re: Can you before running ...

Yes I can stir it up quite easily.... I'll try that.

Thanks to all,

Paul.