Oiling winches

zoidberg

Visit site
Discussing with a friend my disassembly of some new/old winches - Lewmar 30 STs - and the arcane business of cleaning then re-greasing the moving bits with 'proper' grease, I recalled that WD40 is very much the wrong stuff, for solvents and other volatiles evaporate, leaving a poor lubricant residue that salt crystals adhere to, then become crushed, creating a 'grinding paste' of sorts.

I have various part-used tubs of greases and other lubricants, some inherited.

What are the congregation's choices for a 'light film of persistent lubricant' - and what is contra-indicated?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I use a waterproof marine grease to lightly lube the bearings, just a smear not to excess, and a little on the pawls and springs.

Worked for me for nearly twenty years.

I clean and degrease with last years petrol from the outboard.

Waste not want not..............................

dansaskip

seabear.uk
I use a waterproof marine grease to lightly lube the bearings, just a smear not to excess, and a little on the pawls and springs.

Worked for me for nearly twenty years.

I clean and degrease with last years petrol from the outboard.

Waste not want not..............................
Works for me too. The only way to go

jwilson

Visit site
Most winches use a thin smear of grease on bearings and gears, but only ever light oil like 3-in-1 on pawls and springs. One tube of Harken grease is still only half used after 14 years on my Harken winches. If you grease the pawls and the the grease later thickens you can stop the pawls working properly, causing potentially dangerous failure under load.

Refueler

Visit site
Its an age old thing ... on ships :

If it moves - oil it ...

If it doesn't - either paint or grease it.

Why ? Grease will retain slat / grit / crud and gring it into the item. Oil used sparingly will not.

WD40 - UGH !! Yes I use it to free up or quick shot lub'ing ... but not for serious work as its residue is the stuff of the devil. I will always lub properly after its use.

People who drove the original Mini or 1100's will no doubt know stories of distributors sprayed liberally in WD40 to avoid the dreaded water ... to only find that keep doing that and eventually you can't start the car !! If you want a spray to lub ... get proper Lub Oil in spray ...

Back to winches ?

Mine need a service as the click has gone from them when turned ... they still lock as should do - but would be nice to hear that click again. How will I do it ? 3in1 oil for pawls etc. and a smear of ordinary grease for standing parts ... only enough to do the job.

Halo

Visit site
I follow the lewmar advice on their video of how to service winches - wash off verything with paraffin in a disposable foils baking tray, light oil on pawls/springs , a paint brush to put a film of grease on everything else.

Washing in petrol is crazy dangerous IMHO - I just pour old outboard fuel into SWMBO's car when she is distracted elsewhere.

Poignard

Visit site
I follow the lewmar advice on their video of how to service winches - wash off verything with paraffin in a disposable foils baking tray, light oil on pawls/springs , a paint brush to put a film of grease on everything else.

Washing in petrol is crazy dangerous IMHO - I just pour old outboard fuel into SWMBO's car when she is distracted elsewhere.
Do you have a British Seagull? :D

crewman

Visit site
I use Muc Off to clean winches. Sold by bike shops to clean offroad bikes. Water based so no fire risk, dries off quickly, then light oil with 3i n 1. Suggested by a Lewmar rep.

Refueler

Visit site

Petrol ... Paraffin ... diesel ..... whats problem ? All middle distillates .... and good cleaners.

As to old O/Bd fuel into car ... as long as the ratio of that to whats in tank is good - then no problem - due to the 2T in it if 2str ... but I prefer to add new and use as intended - in the O/Bd.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Good heavens man, what's wrong with you ?

Back in the days when petrol was 7/6 a gallon and i worked in garages, we used to use bucket fulls of it to wash down just about anything. Cellulose paint thinners was good for cleaning some stuff too, worked a treat on you hands when you got paint on them :)

Refueler

Visit site
Good heavens man, what's wrong with you ?

Back in the days when petrol was 7/6 a gallon and i worked in garages, we used to use bucket fulls of it to wash down just about anything. Cellulose paint thinners was good for cleaning some stuff too, worked a treat on you hands when you got paint on them :)

He's been got at by HS&E !!

lw395

Visit site
We do it twice a year.
Normally the bearings don't get very dirty in that time, so all that's needed is to wipe off the old grease with kitchen roll and add a little new grease. clean the pawls and their pivots, add a drop of oil.
I use a waterproof grease from Lucas Oils, and synthetic oil.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Most winches use a thin smear of grease on bearings and gears, but only ever light oil like 3-in-1 on pawls and springs. One tube of Harken grease is still only half used after 14 years on my Harken winches. If you grease the pawls and the the grease later thickens you can stop the pawls working properly, causing potentially dangerous failure under load.

That is why I use waterproof grease, not ordinary general purpose grease which IS hygroscopic and absorbs water, turning it into a thicker emulsion and, as you say, sticking the pawls.

If the pawls move freely immediately after cleaning and greasing and a non hygroscopic grease has been used, why will they stick later? Cleaning and lubeing every two years tells me that perhaps I am overdoing it - they always look internally like they were done yesterday!

I have never had a subsequently stuck pawl on any winch I have cleaned and serviced. And I have done plenty.

Last edited: