Ohlson 35, Ufo 34 & Carter 33 can any one help????????

rich201283

Visit site
Hi
I am looking at a few boats at the moment, Ohlson 35, Ufo 34 & Carter 33, Can anyone advise which it the safest, Fastest,Nicest to sail?

Any information would be appreciated

billskip

Visit site
I did an 80 mile delivery of a Carter 33 she seemed to be a good stable boat and good to sail
but not exactly quick off the mark..max wind for trip was f4 so an easy sail.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I would be of the opinion that all three are reasonably fast, reasonably safe, and reasonably nice to sail. Everybody will have different opinions re which boat is 'best' re these attributes.

The bottom line is which boat do you find the prettiest, which one seems to have the best specification for the price, which one basically ticks the most amount of boxes on your list of requirements?
If one boat does everything - no contest!
If not, then maybe narrow down your requirements or search some more?

Robin

Visit site
The UFO34 was a fast boat and if you can find a nice one makes a good cruiser. Many of them were home built (Colvic mouldings?) but a couple of yards fitted them out too, Landamores and Hazlewood I think are two who did. Layouts varied from all out racing with settees and pilot berths above and sail bins forward to cruisy with less berths and a dinette style. I really fancied one but at the time the one I really liked had just been sold and the others were unsuitable layouts. Black Arrow was a UFO34 in the 1979 Fastnet (RAF crew?) and finished, maybe even won her class.

The Carter 33 was also a sweet sailor and I think there is a Forum member who had one until recently.

rich201283

Visit site
I prefer a ufo 34 but thereaint any about at the moment, If anyone knows of any can you let me know(Not really bothered if they are abroad, Will travel) My second option was either the ohlson or carter, The ohlson is nice but not sure how it sails, Also heard quite good thigs about Carter, So not really sure now

Bajansailor

Visit site
A UFO 34 used to live here, for quite a long time up until 1993 I think, when the Owner's brother sailed her back to England.
I saw them on Poole town quay late one evening in June, and they were about the 4th or 5th boat out, so I clambered across the boats in between and went to say Hi - they were rather surprised to find that I knew the boat from Barbados!
They had a good passage back, via Bermuda (I think) and the Azores, and I think their first port of call back in the UK was Falmouth.
Her name was 'Hard Seed' - I wonder if anyone on here knows where she is now?

Re Carters, Morgana on here used to have a Carter, and I am sure he could tell you a lot about them.

Re Ohlsons, I used to sail on a 38, nice solid cruising boat - I guess the 35 would basically be a smaller version.

tyce

Visit site
i remember hard seed, it was based here in barrow and then went over to the carib before coming back, dont know where it is now but it was a fine looking boat

yoda

Visit site
The Ohlson 35 is a fantastic sailing boat, excellent sea keeper and a real joy. Have sailed one on and off now for 23 years including 2 Fastnets, many round the cans races and weeks of sail training. It probably hasn't got quite the space of the UFO but take one for a sail before you make a decission. As always the quality of sails will make a great difference so be careful to take account of their condition.

Yoda

jleaworthy

Visit site
Agree with Yoda. Ohlsen 35 is fast and very strong. Two competed in notorious Fastnet race of 79. One was abandoned after losing two men overboard but boat survived unscathed. Other came back with a bend in its mast after surviving a full knock down.

ufo34

Visit site
I can certainly recommend a UFO 34, it is a fast sailer. At the end of the season, I will actually have to sell mine as family expansion won't allow me to spend sailing weekends in the coming years. This ship is built in 1985 so it's one of the more recent types. It had a complete revision in 2005 and we had a shipyard make a front cabin in it. So it is more comfortable than standard ufo's that I know about. If you are still looking around, you can drop an e-mail at jte1606@hotmail.com

DonMiller

Visit site
I have 20 years experience of sailing our UFO 34 on the west coast of Scotland if you like to 'e' mail me any queries. Sadly because we are now in our 80.s she is now for sale- if you like to cointact me

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
As has been mentioned, I had a Carter until recently (I had the 3/4 tonner which is a slightly different hull shape from the 33, but quite similar)..

All three boats you've mentioned have good reputations...

The Carter especially is renowned for her seakeeping.... Ariadne famously survived through the 79 fastnet unscathed, and was featured in Adlard Cole's definitive guide to survival sailing 'Heavy Weather Sailing'....

Compared to the UFO, the Carter has a less IOR derived stern, and would be a little less frantic for the helm downwind, but probably not as quick overall as the UFO... I don't have any direct experience of the Olhson, but they are well respected...

The Carter sails beautifully upwind, with balance that is a joy to experience and benefits from a really well thought through layout below, as well as incredibly strong construction from usually Thames Marine or Olympic....

Don't think you'd go far wrong with any of them though....

corbusier101

Visit site
carter 33 ariadne fastnet 79

sadly I think you are very wrong about the outcome of the Fastnet 79 for Carter 33 Ariadne. There is no disputing she is an attractive boat.