Oh! Frabjous day...

jamesjermain

Visit site
Calloo callay..!

Sorry nothing to do with a previous post - just a yacht owner getting over excited because his SWMBO has persuaded him not to sell his boat and she's prepared to put up with a little (more) financial discomfort in exchange for warm summer evenings in the Yealm/Fowey/Helford/Salcombe/et al.

So, Sweet Lucy will be back on her Cargreen mooring for another year.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Good news - have persuaded SWMBO that South Brittany is not the place to keep a boat, - so its back to Plymouth at Easter.

The propshaft is being replaced in La Roche Bernard, - they have had 4 months already to do it - so I hope it will be ready. Not being able to speak the lingo well and be there, I feel helpless to control the situation on a job that I would normally do myself. Another reason for coming back!

>in exchange for warm summer evenings in the Yealm/Fowey/Helford/Salcombe/et al.

Well - I hope so.........

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
Strangely no. She took me completely by surprise by making the suggestion, which involves borrowing money to buy out my boat-owning partner, without prompting or onerous conditions: such as painting the outside of the house or entertaining her Mothers Union friends to lunch.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

Observer

Visit site
There's always a quid pro quo. You just haven't been told what it is - yet.

I do believe I can hear you "chortling in your joy."

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Thats excellent news, I wondered why you were selling your boat, I think you should treat yourself to some new dodgers now and get rid of that awful banner that you sail around with, it spoils her sweet lines.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
I'm surprised you find it neccessary to keep a boat. I thought that, a bit like Jeremy Clarkson, the manufacturers kept you knee deep in Swans, Moodys etc, just to 'test them out'....

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Excellent news, I'm sure it would have been really painfull to part with an old friend. Also when its all yours, it really does become a much more personal thing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
Absolutely not.

Mike and I have shared boats for nearly 20 years and it has worked out extremely well - all much more informal than I would every recommend to anyone else and hardly ever a cross word or disagreement.

The break up was due to my imminent move to Cornwall and Mike's increasing involvement with a project in Lincolnshire. At first I couldn't afford t buy him out so the only solution was to sell. Now we have found the funds and the parting is most cordial. I expect Mike will continue to be an occasional user even now.

I would ceertainly recommend partnerships. They don't suit everybody or all occasions but at their best they hold huge financial, labour and sailing benefits. The asset is used more fully, more money is available for equipment and repairs and more hands for the messy, onerous chores.

I would recommend either very good, longstanding and reliable friends or complete strangers. Have a formal agreement covering, in particular, who owns what and what happens in the event of a dispute, put it in a drawer and forget it. The more a partnership works on the basis of informal agreements and 'muddling along', and the less on meetings, minutes and rotas the better. However, a major breakdown is always possible so all parties have to know there is a legal framework to fall back on.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

jamesjermain

Visit site
Yes. But...

Doing routine exercises for a day or so in the Solent with a dictaphone in one hand and a a photoboat up your transom isn't always a bundle of laughs.

Anyway, there is nothing quite like the joy of ownership, for all its problems and heartaches - a bit like marriage really (Oh No! I don't mean ownership like that! Good Grief I'm in trouble now.)

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

Gunfleet

Visit site
I spent a couple of weeks last summer Chris, sailing the Essex and Suffolk rivers in 30 deg. Everyone else was queuing at Stansted. Smug? Moi?

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
Re: Yes. But...

Having been the skipper of a photoboat up your transom JJ from where I sat you seemed to be enjoying it!

I wish you the very best, having sold my boat last year I can only congratulate you on keeping yours.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Smug - Moi?

The dream of foreign climes fades pretty quickley when travelling and planning becomes a bore. I'm really looking forward to being back in Plymouth - they do say the grass is always greener on the other side.

Where are you going to end up this year?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: Smug - Moi?

This year I will be patrolling the Wallet and all points east. I may get a weekend or two in Holland. I'll pm you

<hr width=100% size=1>