October PBO. Learning from experience

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Re: Copyright

If any alterations are made to posts an 'edited by...' label is appended. Usually any editing is in the form of deleting whole sentences or paragraphs. Sure that could still change the context but in reality the purpose is to guard against legal risk, perceived or real. Doesn't happen too often around here.

Most drastic solution is to suspend the post (ie remove it from public view).

The only direct editing of words would usually be a very occasional change to thread headers, for the sake of clarity as much as anything else.

All of that is in sweeping contrast to a magazine where you are not only editing for length, technical accuracy, grammar, spelling and so on but also for that magazine's style which will be quite detailed on aspects of how the words are presented. A good professional contributor might be expected to know the magazine's style and present copy accordingly but, unsurprisingly, a typical reader submission will be much more random in presentation and hence attract a heavier approach by the sub in most instances.

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Re: Also, see YM August \"experience\" article

I'm certain that locals have no problem with it. I'm not one and have never done so. The writer of the article was delivering his new boat back to Poole, so I guess he could not be classed as being familiar with the area. Seemed an unusual choice to me, and he paid the price. Lucky to have got off so lightly.

G

Similar to Corporations etc

Sign a Contract with a corporation and all intellectual, developments by the individual etc. that are in line with that corps work etc. etc are expressly stated as property of that corp.

B----ks .... if I develop, write, program something I will damn well keep hold of it !!! When I wrote Oil / Cargo calculation programs for a large Inspecytion Co. some years ago - I used QB4.0 ... and inserted a Front page that they had to go through ... clearly stating that I was the Owner / Copyright holder .... unless they hit the Y button in agreement with this .... it kicked them out of the program. They asked me a number of times to uncompile th program and remove the front page to allow it to be given to other offices .... you can guess my answer ... I sent it to other offices unchanged. There was nothing they could do ....

So act carefully, think it through and you can beat the system ....

tyger

Visit site
Re: Similar to Corporations etc

That's fairly common in employment contracts. Fair enough for things that it is your job to create or develop. Request that the clause be modified - I do.
I believe that the spirit of the latest patents and copyright legislation is that the IPR belongs to the individual unless he is paid to create or develop that type of item as part of his job.

pugwash

Visit site
Re: ooh, get him!

The job of an editor, as any professional scribe will tell you, ,is to stroll down the hill after the battle and shoot the wounded.

pugwash

Visit site

Well speaking as one who has earned a meagre scribing crust for 45 years, I can say with certainty that I am yet to meet an editor who licked my wounds (or anything else for that matter). Met many an editor, however, who was proud of licking things into shape. Like this one --

An editor and writer were stuck in the desert, moiling through the soft sand with tongues hanging out. They came over a dune and saw a fantastic oasis in the valley below, through which ran a stream of coollest, purest water. The writer fell on his knees beside the tinkling brook and drank his fill, then realised the editor wasn't there. He looked around and saw the editor on the banks of the stream and pissing into the water. What are you doing? he cried, aghast.
"Just making it better," the editor replied.

Jeremy_W

Visit site

But like the Murphy's you're not bitter. Everyone I know who writes reckons that editors have an unerring eye for the best line, the most telling illustration, the most apposite illustration or the funniest joke in any article.

You can always tell which this was because it is immediately removed! A general observation - not a dig at this esteemed organ, honest!

tonyleigh

Visit site
Re: Why doesn\'t PBO / writer reply to this thread

Crikey! If this is really in reply to me I can only say because I haven't dropped in since and a little taken aback at the quantity of replies I find tonight! I wasn't in fact knocking editors - there's good and bad in all professions. I was picking up the suggestion that inaccuracies may have been introduced at the editing stage. There were a couple in the incident to which I referred - one (from memory) changed arrival time off the Little Russell which I'm sure would have invoked criticisms of incompetent passage planning from the (armchair) navigators - and they would have been right. In a world not short on opportunities, the experience just made me disinterested in submitting anything further. Surely no skin off my nose or anybody elses?