Nowadays anyone can become a yachtsman.....

Sharky34

Visit site
Years ago, snobbish members of the Royal Yacht Squadron blackballed Sir Thomas Lipton's application to become a member. He was not short of wonga, in fact he was loaded, but he was "in trade" (a grocer) and therefore socially beyond the pale. Yachting was not for the likes of people like him!

How things have changed, and for the better in my view. My neighbour here in Vannes marina this weekend earns his living as a busker and lives on his small boat with the obligatory busker's dog. He is a very pleasant chap who speaks perfect English. He is fitting out his little yacht for a voyage to Ireland and Scotland next year.

Good luck to him.
Didn't the RYS build an outside pavillion, so Queen Vic could have tea, 'at' the club, but not 'in' the club, since women were not allowed.

Sharky34

Visit site
Exclusiveness is not confined to the upper classes by any means. I only know one or two RYS members personally, though they were members through their RN officership. I understand that such members are not regarded as 'real' members by the old guard. However, it is a private club and entitled to do whatever it likes in the way of maintaining standards and keeping you and me out, though I have always found RYS members that I have met on the pontoon perfectly approachable and easy to deal with. I suspect that you will find other sailing groups such as the classic and traditional boat clubs equally hard to penetrate without the requisite qualifications.
There is a notice at the RYS landing stage, "only to be used by serving Naval Officers, or members of the Royal Family".

Poignard

Visit site
There is a notice at the RYS landing stage, "only to be used by serving Naval Officers, or members of the Royal Family".
The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, of which I have the honour of being a "life absent member" (which presumably means I'm dead!) used, it is alleged, have a sign at the door saying "No dogs or Chinese."

Sea-Fever

Visit site
These things are all relative. Whilst sailing in the land of freedom, opportunity and equality, we got rousted by the harbour police for doing no more than sailing too close to the NYYC in Newport Rhode island; they did accept that it wasn't a crime, but apparently the club 'don't like it'.
Wow, the club dont like it, I would have sailed straight past again....and again.

oldharry

Visit site
There always were places like RYS, for exclusive types who want to keep themselves to themselves. Then there were ordinary people typified by Davies in Riddle of the Sands who just got on with it without the trimmings. I guess it's much the same now. I only ever joined clubs where sailing was the main interest. Last club I was in didn't even have a bar, other than the one across the entrance to the estuary!

Sea-Fever

Visit site
Just looked at the RYS introductory video on the website. I imagine it has a diverse membership representing all aspects of modern society.
I've just watched that video. It gives the impression of a group of people obsessed with how they are judged by others and whether they are better than everyone else. It must be a lonely place at the top.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, of which I have the honour of being a "life absent member" (which presumably means I'm dead!) used, it is alleged, have a sign at the door saying "No dogs or Chinese."

It did not. As you will recall, it did not originally have a door, as Kellett Island was ... an island.

That sign first appeared in a PRC propaganda film made in the Sixties, on the gates of a park in Shanghai. It didn’t really exist there, either.

What the RHKYC does have is a lifebuoy on the wall of the wet bar, inscribed “This Club was re-opened by HMS Vengeance in 1945”.

Anyone for a hoi loong?