Not going to the show?

nicho

Visit site
Went today - fed up by the time I arrived due to a 2 hour train delay (signal failure). After Southampton, the overriding impression is that it's small and cramped. Just the usual manufacturers, some displaying new product, and of course all the periphery stuff, chandlers etc. Needed some new bits and pieces, so Show discounts were of some use (though if I cared to check their normal prices, probably little difference!!). To be honest, having been there for 3 hours, I'd had enough and came home!

doris

Visit site
Dancing girls

If your Mum can afford to live in that part of London maybe she is one of the dancing girls!! Enjoy the show.

kidnapped

Visit site
I went today, got the last subway before they closed it [signals], saw the usual boats. Went on New 485 Island Packet, very nice ... styling??, Moody 54 potentially very good but as usual, in my experience, let down by 'niggly things' ... just not finished to the standard their prices should dictate, looked at some folding props .. think I'll get one and saved about £175 on dry suit [last year's colour .. who cares?] and dinghy boots.
Other than that give me Southampton every time .... and Excel is a nono ... I live in Oxfordshire.

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
Re: Dancing girls

My mum may have been a dnacing girl in the 1940's ! She will be happy as will Aunt Doris. She lives in a council flat, though very nice I must say with some very salubrious neighbours who have bought their own flats and sold them on for an absolute fortune.. Have a good Boat Show

Albin Vega "Southern Comfort" V1703

tony_brighton

Visit site
I'm looking forward to it being in Excel (aside from being down the road from me). Hoping the extra space and less cramped conditions will mean its a more pleasurable experience than Earls Court.

Parashandy

Visit site
Me neither. I always think London's far too much like hard work even for those who only have to travel 10 miles.

It *may* be worthwhile if you intend to spend a couple of £k on bits otherwise why bother.

I live in Devon and happily visit Southampton most years and Beaulieu every year. Those visits are pleasant days out.

When the organisers see fit to move the show to the NEC I will be there along with perhaps more visitors than the London Show has ever had.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
LIBS stuff

Yup, I was also there on Thursday. Had a list of thing to buy, thinking vast discounts would be the case.
Apart from some clothing (end of lines, last year's styles) everything seemed more, not less, expensive than catalogue prices. Bought a very few bits, so now it's back to catalogues and the internet.
Well, it's a day out (and I did see La Belle Ellen!). Was very impressed by the Nauticat 33 we went onto. The Hanse next door is impressively cheap, but you do get what you pays for.

Exel?
Fine big and modern, but will anyone other than those Essex mud-crawlers be bothered or be able to find the place? Apart from the undoubted architectural joys of the later stages of the Jubilee line, surely it's an horrendous journey either by train or car? It'll be interesting to find out.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Getting to Excel

I attended an exhibition there on normal business. I was surprised. Its quite easy to get to - 1 underground from Waterloo. The surroundingings are very nice and the inside of the exhibition complex is very well laid out.

Surrounding teracces very pleasant.

I would think that with the water right next to it, it will rival SBS.

Car parking shouldn't be a problem - most of docklands is flattened!

Shock of the new is a factor though.

Magic

Miker

Visit site
Not this year

Might have gone if it had been at the NEC. But too far and expensive on fares for a dweller in the north west of England.

Strathglass

Visit site
Re: Getting to Excel

Why all the shouting about the difficulty of getting to London?

Public transport being what it is today, Reaching London is easy from anywhere in the UK. Access to anywhere within London is quick and cheep. Except if you live in the home counties and drive in.

The location of the next boat show will be just as easy to get to as Earls Court. With water there, a real improvement in the show is possible.

Access for the exhibiters of larger craft should have their transport costs reduced.

I go to both SIBS and LIBS each year but will not be going to Earls Court this year as I am waiting for a weather window to move my boat. If I wished to go this year my total travel costs from 30 miles outside Inverness to Earls Court would be less than £25 return using only public transport. I am sure that the same could apply from anywhere in the country.
I imagine that Excel will be just as easy to get to, certainly easier than the NEC.

Iain

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Not many people know that...

...Britiain's most useless railway line stops at Exel. The North London Line (Richmond to North Woolwich) which is generally described as "a line going from places where no one wants to get on, to places where no one wants to get off" stops at Custom House, next to the Exel. On the way there are several stops which link with other above ground or underground services. Check the map at the link below.

http://www.silverlink-trains.com/timetable/index4.html

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Going on Monday

mainly because the Club Treasurer cornered me (over an excellent dinner) and said he had some tickets to get rid of.

I shall go to find out what replacement engine and which liferaft I cannot afford this year.

Must remember NOT to buy another pot of Blake's Seacock Grease - three in locker when I last looked!

G

Well, I went yesterday. First time in about 8 years and I have to confess I really enjoyed it. Just me, no wife and kids, so I just wandered around at will looking in things I wouldn't normally get to look in. Didn't buy anything except lunch, but then that cleaned me out... Liked the bigger Hunter boats , thought the new Mystery 35 was lovely. Price competition from the likes of Hanse will be something they'll have to keep an eye on though, notwithstanding Hunters good sailing reputation.

I usually buy bits of string and metal bits but resisted this time, content with being a sad catalogue collector in spite of a New Years resolution to the contrary.

One thing: does anyone know of any company that makes decent "oilies" i.e. modern breathable stuff with trousers and jackets for small kids (2 to 4 yrs old)? I spent ages on this at LIBS and could find nothing at the show. I was able to conclude only that either sailing people don't breed or any miraculous kids of sailing parents are apparently born fully formed at age 8.

GD

chas

Visit site
I\'m not going..

.. my old lady still has her original genny so I have lashed out on a new roller furler and genoa and mainsail cover to replace the originals (after all, she really looks after me, is totally viceless and has got me out of several situations which were my fault - which 28 year old girl would do this while still wearing the clothes she was born in??). I know that if I go I would spend even more and I am already heading for bankruptcy.

lauradee

Visit site
ive bin

on friday, it was great, plenty of bargains, compass really cutting prices, thanks to bernie the beach.
marlow doing good price cutting on ropes/warps/lines, place was busy but not tooo packed
stu

whisper

Visit site
Re: Getting to Excel

£25 return from where you are situated, by Public Transport !!! Are you sure and also how many days does it take ? Are you an OAP with a Student Card perhaps ? It costs me £38 + tube fares from Loughborough and involves travelling when they want rather than when I do. I suppose you get some special dispensation residing in the near Artic.

I agree re. Excel - can't see why it would take any longer to get there by public transport as against Earls Ct. If they provide plenty of seats that one can use, to have a rest, it will be a better venue altogether. I think Earls Court is a dump and an awful national advert for UK exhibition centres.