Not a spoof

Time Out

Visit site
When I read the headline I thought this must be a spoof - apparently not
Plan to drain water from Thames and replace it with treated effluent

Indeed and literally on my doorstep. I’m not 100% sure where they would extract it from unless they modified the long since decommissioned ‘water works’ at Thames Ditton / Surbiton.

Further upstream is residential and or opposite Hampton Court Palace.

As for putting it back in ? There were suggestions of below Teddington which is tidal and already benefits from having ‘treated’ storm water pumped back in ;)

Perhaps it will be safe ? Who knows but there are an awful lot of swimmers and water sports enthusiasts that use this stretch all year round

Edit - apologies if you are local which you may be as you have access to that fine publication ;)

Momac

Visit site
What did you think happens to treated effluent from sewage works generally ?
It doesn't magically disappear.
The scheme appears to include an extra treatment plant at the sewage works and a new discharge that is just upstream of an extraction point . So the discharge must be very clean.
This will reduce the lesser treated discharge further upstream.
So overall a benefit to water quality in the river and nothing at all to be concerned about.

Time Out

Visit site
Like I said , perhaps it will be safe.

Perhaps the messaging needs to be more robust to reflect that as all anyone is reading including the good folk of Teddington is that more poo will enter the river.

Given the noise surrounding sewage discharge throughout the country it hardly surprising!

Turds are everywhere anyhow. I swam up to a very exclusive private South of France beach club this year only to me met face to face with a turd bugger than the burger I was about to consume ?

Momac

Visit site
Like I said , perhaps it will be safe.

Perhaps the messaging needs to be more robust to reflect that as all anyone is reading including the good folk of Teddington is that more poo will enter the river.

You are automatically assuming the worst and clearly not understanding a new extra treatment plant is included .
But if the population locally increases you should understand the more people there are the more shit there will be.
But the proposals you refer to are an improvement .

Why anyone wants to swim in the Thames (or any river) is beyond me

Time Out

Visit site
You are automatically assuming the worst and clearly not understanding a new extra treatment plant is included .
But if the population locally increases you should understand the more people there are the more shit there will be.
But the proposals you refer to are an improvement .

Why anyone wants to swim in the Thames (or any river) is beyond me
Apologies. Perhaps I have not made myself clear.

I’m not automatically assuming the worst as I live and breathe the Thames along here so am close to it and all activities surround it.

My point being is the way it’s been reported. TW may have clearly outlined what it does and mean.

Local reporters such as The Hub linked above will interpret it as they see fit. Add to that the good folk of Tedd who have neither taken the time to read it or understand it and you get to where we are now.

Personally I don’t swim in it. However on a hot summers day and in the shallows of Hampton Court for example it’s perfect for small children to paddle board next to the boat. My wife does, a friend who lives in lower Sunbury swims off his garden almost daily.

There are also the swimmers who regularly enter the water opposite the Lensbury in all flow including today.

I still don’t know where they would take it from though.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Indeed and literally on my doorstep. I’m not 100% sure where they would extract it from unless they modified the long since decommissioned ‘water works’ at Thames Ditton / Surbiton.

Further upstream is residential and or opposite Hampton Court Palace.

As for putting it back in ? There were suggestions of below Teddington which is tidal and already benefits from having ‘treated’ storm water pumped back in ;)

Perhaps it will be safe ? Who knows but there are an awful lot of swimmers and water sports enthusiasts that use this stretch all year round

Edit - apologies if you are local which you may be as you have access to that fine publication ;)
There is a public consultation on Monday 16th at Richmond Town Hall 2pm - 8pm

Attachments

• BD67BE7E-77F2-4593-A2F8-A1C6F3882DD2.jpeg
    BD67BE7E-77F2-4593-A2F8-A1C6F3882DD2.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 6

Momac

Visit site
I still don’t know where they would take it from though.
Sorry I read it incorrectly - the abstraction is upstream of the discharge point
The new abstraction point is item 7 . Surbiton filter beds perhaps?
1673693884378.png

Time Out

Visit site
Sorry I read it incorrectly - the abstraction is upstream of the discharge point
The new abstraction point is item 7 . Surbiton filter beds perhaps?
View attachment 149240

That’s what I was thinking.

Seems to be the most logical place and I would assume some of the infrastructure albeit very old, is still in place ?

It may even improve the look and feel of that stretch ?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
The old wrecks which were there including the sunk narrow boat have been removed and it looks like the lease for the trot moorings has expired or been terminated. Maybe that is why.

Presumably the discharge (dark blue line) is the Hogsmill river in Kingston. It looks further up maybe queen's promenade but I don't think the diagram is exactly to scale.

It makes sense to use the Hogsmill rather than construct a ridiculously expensive culvert system.

Last edited: