Norwegian frigate - whoops!

lpdsn

Visit site
Flicking through this article (sorry if it's been posted I'm not reading 10 pages before bed, just as I've not read the article properly so may be wrong) it looks like there's been some dodgy GPS jamming from the Ruski's, or it's just an excuse.

Although it doesn't appear to have affected the GPS used by the AIS (at least those that were turned on).

alant

Visit site
Well close quarters manouvres can't be helped by doing it in the dark, and if it had been broad daylight it wouldn't have mattered if the frigate was trying to be smartarse stealthy or not, they'd have been able to see each other and it seems a fair bet the accident would never have happened.

I know there's still doubt as to whether the frigate was dark and Emcon or not, but for instance stealth aircraft only usually fly at night if trying to be sneaky.

"would have been able to see each other"?
Do these ships actually have people on watch with 'eyeballs mk 1' anymore?

Seajet

Visit site
How "more tolerant"?
Some of them look as if made of cardboard, hungry ribs in between.

Lots of relatively small compartments with hatches capable of various levels of severity - looking at the horrible long hole along her starboard quarter it would seem a ' Titanic ' job where several compartments were breached.

capnsensible

Visit site
On Astute?:rolleyes:

Very much so. It's likely it was his fault for not listening to the guy on the plot in the control room. Except, of course, it's always the Captains fault.

If you want to know more, the Grounding Report is available on the net. So you can rest those eyebrows.

Seajet

Visit site
From what I heard of the Astute grounding, pardon the pun but the skipper was between a rock and a hard place; the examiners asked at the end of the exercise to get off somewhere handy - I'm sure they'll say now it was a test, whether it was we may never know, obviously he should have told them to get stuffed - feel free to correct me as usual but again that's how I heard / read it, it's not my story.

As for surface ships keeping a lookout, they've got plenty of crew and binoculars, not to mention those fancy electro - optical and night vision jobs on top of the bridge.

Poignard

Visit site
Very much so. It's likely it was his fault for not listening to the guy on the plot in the control room.
Are they still doing it that way? I remember in the early 1960s relaying the depth under the keel to the OOW every few minutes from a Kevin-Hughes echo sounder in Renown. I'm surprised they don't have one with a depth alarm nowadays as I have on my little £20k yacht. It only cost ca £100. Still, it's always important to curb defence spending. :D

alant

Visit site
From what I heard of the Astute grounding, pardon the pun but the skipper was between a rock and a hard place; the examiners asked at the end of the exercise to get off somewhere handy - I'm sure they'll say now it was a test, whether it was we may never know, obviously he should have told them to get stuffed - feel free to correct me as usual but again that's how I heard / read it, it's not my story.

As for surface ships keeping a lookout, they've got plenty of crew and binoculars, not to mention those fancy electro - optical and night vision jobs on top of the bridge.

Do matelots wander upper decks with binoculars then?
They might have in the "Battle of the River Plate", but most these days are indoors looking at screens (ships + iPads).

Seajet

Visit site
I suspect AISailor had tongue in cheek, I'm sure they do look out of the windows occasionally though from recent American and now Norwegian events maybe not often enough - probably not matelots wandering around and I doubt the Captain paces the quarterdeck - though that was indeed the case on a carrier dad was on in WWII.

Poignard

Visit site
nd I doubt the Captain paces the quarterdeck - though that was indeed the case on a carrier dad was on in WWII.

Which reminds me of a piece of useless information. The only time a left-about turn is executed is when two officers are pacing the poop in conversation. At the end of each stretch they turn towards each other.

Last edited:

Uricanejack

Visit site
Which reminds me of a piece of useless information. The only time a left-about turn is executed is when two officers are pacing the poop in conversation. At the end of each stretch they turn towards each other.

If only one Officer is pacing the quarter deck. How do you know he will always right about turn. Perhaps it’s a 50 50 chance of a right or left about turn or perhaps it depends on if the Officer is right or left handed.
Does it change in the Southern Hemisphere sphere.
Do Australian officers left about turn:)