Norwegian frigate - whoops!

pagoda

Visit site
Re: Norwegian Colregs

The tanker did see the frigate 3 minutes out and asked VTS who it could be and tried to contact the oncoming ship on VHF. VTS “suddenly” realized that it could be the frigate around one minute before impact.
The frigate reported entry into VTS area as they should, but looks as it was invisible on radar for a while, when it first showed up on radar there was no speed or name (no AIS), could explain why VTS operator was confused...

Surely the frigate's Radar was better than just "commercial" ??
Even the watch team on a commercial ferry I talked to a few years ago relied entirely on eyeballs and radar- NOT AIS. they said yes they transmit AIS but don't have time to look at it. Somebody was NOT paying attention - or two or three bods were not?
It can't be much more complex than that?

Thistle

Visit site

Even the watch team on a commercial ferry I talked to a few years ago relied entirely on eyeballs and radar- NOT AIS. they said yes they transmit AIS but don't have time to look at it. Somebody was NOT paying attention - or two or three bods were not?

Was their radar switched on and transmitting or were they trying to hide by keeping it switched off?

Frank Holden

Visit site

Same same my experiences in crossing situation in the open ocean.... two ships coming down from my starboard while I was under sail ..one overtaking the other and one passing ahead the other astern of me.

Asked the most interesting one of two - the one passing quite close ahead - if they could see me.... they had been chatting between themselves...

Said he could see me and all was well.... asked out of curiosity if he had me on AIS...

'Just a moment... I'll go and have a look........'

LONG_KEELER

Visit site

You have to feel for those poor officers on watch. The pictures are just awful .

I wonder if warships have insurance ? If so, probably a high excess . Perhaps a bulk
deal for all NATO ships.

Seajet

Visit site

Yes, literally a career limiting move; as she'd just left port I suppose it's a fair bet he was on the bridge ?

Could be zonked out after the exercise or in the heads, I hope he was on the bridge as he's screwed anyway.

A1Sailor

Visit site

Yes, literally a career limiting move; as she'd just left port I suppose it's a fair bet he was on the bridge ?

Could be zonked out after the exercise or in the heads, I hope he was on the bridge as he's screwed anyway.
I'm not sure what happened to Captain S Taylor, "in command" of HMS Southampton in 1988...
foiextract20120808-5755-1mxi6cu-0-8_1.png

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...owledgement and Clarification Letter.doc.html

Seajet

Visit site

Those accusations seem fair from what little I know; did the Captain get away with it then ?

I thought an accident that serious would be game over even if asleep in his cabin, as happened with one of the U.S. Destroyers recently, I supposed standing orders are no insurance if running a sloppy ship.

Frank Holden

Visit site

Meanwhile... back to Norway.. the best info I have seen yet..

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks...ola-ts?utm_content=row-r12&utm_source=vgfront

I reckon if she had missed the tanker then she would have hit the next in line.......

I thought the Germans taught us that if you were commerce raiding the idea was to sink the merchantmen and not your own ship.... I guess the Norwegians skipped that class....

A1Sailor

Visit site

Those accusations seem fair from what little I know; did the Captain get away with it then ?

I thought an accident that serious would be game over even if asleep in his cabin, as happened with one of the U.S. Destroyers recently, I supposed standing orders are no insurance if running a sloppy ship.
If you mean my #76 they aren't accusations. They are findings of the HMS Southampton Board of Inquiry.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...owledgement and Clarification Letter.doc.html