North from ABCs

emnick

Visit site
Hi All,
We are thinking of heading to the ABCs next year prior to heading back to Europe. We are in Grenada at the moment. Anybody done the trip north if so where did you head to, I would be leaving Grenada around mid January and would want about 3 to 4 weeks in ABCs and then some time in BVIs prior to heading back to Azores around this time (early May) next year
Will I struggle to get north? Thanks for any help

capnsensible

Visit site
Gonna be bumpy. Personally I would reach to wherever the wind took me.

Have gone downwind from Windies to Panama a couple of times, it's windy.

Left from Venezuela once to go north, made St Maarten but it was not the most comfortable sail.

It's all doable but being prepared, boat and mind, for an interesting few days helps. It's worth it!

geem

Visit site
We have left ABC a few times times going East or North. Easy to head North but any progress to the East is best when you have a SE wind. The current sets to the NW. We have motor-sailed to Dominica and engined in calm conditions to Grenada. Most boats spending the summer in Curacao or Bonaire aim for BVIs or St M in November selecting a light SE forecast.

siwhi

Visit site
Not wishing to upset things, but if going to ABCs which are OK, it would be a pity to miss Colombia which is great. Might as well then do a clockwise loop around and head to Florida & Bahamas north about Cuba. Maybe too many miles in a season though.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We went to the ABCs twice and getting back is not easy it is upwind and upcurrent. The second time we left we had a swell that wasn't in the forecast and we crossed 68 west 3 times, having been pushed back by the swell, at that point decided to head up to Puerto Rico and on the south side it was flat calm and no wind so we had to motor. We had US B1 B2 visas so we stopped there, then went to the US Virgin Islands then we stopped at islands on the way to Grenada.

geem

Visit site
Not wishing to upset things, but if going to ABCs which are OK, it would be a pity to miss Colombia which is great. Might as well then do a clockwise loop around and head to Florida & Bahamas north about Cuba. Maybe too many miles in a season though.
We did it the otherway around over. We left Bonaire for Haiti then spent two months cruising the South coast of Cuba. We then bashed up the Womdward Passage and spent three months in The Bahamas amd a quick shopping trip to Florida. We then left Bahamas and sail for Bocas del Torro in Panama. From here we cruised anticlockwise through San Blas, Colombia, ABCs, Los Roques and then back to Leewards