newbie engine question..

davecuss

Visit site
im just wondering that while marinising kits are quite expensive for boat inboard engines....can some one explain why for instace if i want to put a 2.5 tranny deisal engine in my boat why it has to be marinised....why cant it be used with all the standard radiator etc....surely as long as you have some venilation and a fan or two keeping the engine cool it would be fine...is the cooling the only problem...
just wondered as it would save a fortune on putting a diesel lump in my boat...

cheers

dave

tripleace

Visit site
1. A Ford Transit runing at 2/3 max revs, under load.,will overheat unless 70 mph wind blowing into radiator. The noise of creating fans to do this would be horrific!

2. Flywheel weight is for changing revs, boat flywheel better suited to constant revs.

3. Exhaust goes to air and if this was to continue a complex system to stop water getting in would be required.

Even volvo haven't got this right (read article from a few months ago)

4. Not sure about camshaft etc whether a automotive one is better across a wide range rather than a narrower band?

how this helps

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boating-ads.co.uk/365.html> Triple Ace Link</A>

byron

RIP
Visit site
Not being technical I can't answer anything except pose a further question "Didn't there used to be a 27' craft (Elysian?) who's cooling exhaust was a system whereby the water ran along the keel in a sort of pipe to cool it?"

ô¿ô
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm>http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm</A>

byron

RIP
Visit site
Hey David... I thought I was the only Newsgroup user around here until I spotted your messages in a boating group.
You must be an old timer on the net like wot I is. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

ô¿ô
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm>http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm</A>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I think if you could get big radiators out in the open air. It would work. Plenty of site generators. Air compresors and diesel fridge motors work ok. Exhaust is not a problem if you stick it straight up. Then stick a simple hinged flap over the top to stop rain water going down. Or run some pipes under the boat and cool it that way. Dont think theres any problem. Just might be a bit unsightly with a big radiator and fan sat on the fore deck.

<font color=red> No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Haydn

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Going back some time.....A chap I knew had an aluminium sports boat and he fitted it with a Ford V6 motor from a Granada. Didn't bother to marinise it, just had the water pump fed by a small scoop device and the water and exhaust vented out thru' transom. Noisy but nice!

Why?

Well at the time, these motors were 2 a penny at any scrap yard, they are hugely reliable and quite frankly, if you got a few seasons out of it and then lifted it out and threw it on a skip and replaced it with another, then hey! what the hell. He also took out the thermostat - one less thing to wrong. Turns out he had this thing for years, always flushed it and it actually didn't corrode thru the block.

And think of the space saving - no rads & pipes. Marinising, Schmarinising - who needs it :)

Damn boat used to leak like a sieve - far less reliable than the engine!

Madoc Yacht Club
www.madocyachtclub.co.uk<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Dave_Snelson on 19/09/2002 16:48 (server time).</FONT></P>

davecuss

Visit site
i wouldnt go as far as being an old timer.....im going to take out my mercruiser and put a transit 2.5 motor in my boat...i think it should be ok....what else would i need as far as flywheel and adapter to mount on to my alpha one out drive?
just out of curiosity what would the mercruiser 130 motor be worth with all the gubbins?would people be interested in buying it or should it go straight in the bin...

dave

BarryH

Visit site
Its not quiet as easy as that. You've gotta have your existing bell housing cut and a new flange for the tranny lumpput on. The tranny lump is OK but for the sort of power your gonna want in your boat, Ireckon your going to be thrashing it most of the time. Its a little samller in capacity than your Merc and a lot lower reving. I looked at going the same route, replacing the vilevo in my boat, but after talking to people who've donr the conversion and going out on their boats, decided against it. The acceleration is not as good, it takes an age to get it up on the plane and the thing is damn noisey. Ok the fuels cheap, but thats all its got going for it. In your boat thats dairly beamy I would say that all of the above would apply.

In your boat I would stick with what you've got for a season or so. Then if you want to get something a bit more "useable" sell your boat as is. I think in the long run you'll be better off doing this. At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice. I go across to france in my boat, 140 vilevo petrol, and I still get change out of fifty quid. It all depends on how you use the thing.

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!

davecuss

Visit site
cheers barry,,,i didnt realise it would be that economical...£50 to france is ok for me...i think it does make sense to stick to what i got for a season...probably want a bigger boat in a couple of years anyway..thanks again for everyones input..

BarryH

Visit site
Where abouts you based, I was going for one more trip across the ditch before the weather gets too bad, or a good coastal hop. Coastal hop would be better to give a taste of the salt so to speak.

The petrol lump will be fine. Its only the poor and stingy that run oil burners. I was away for a fortnight in the summer, we covered a fair distance and I only burnt about 300 quids worth, and that included messing about with the kids on the ringos and things.

BarryH

Visit site
Re:haha

What about the cornering forces. So thats why my can of coke always slide across the dash is it!!

kingfisher

Visit site
Ah yes, but...

My V***o 2001 manual clearly states that an angle of more than 15° should not be maintained for a long time while engine is running.

While cars undergo G-forces and hills only for a few minutes max, I spend quite some time on a tack. Just drive in a tight circle at 40mph for 15 minutes, and see how much your engine likes it.

Different engines give different angles of maximum heel. V***o is very unforgiving, with its very shallow oil sump. Most engines allow up to 25°, again: continuous use.

This is apparently contrary to the general boating public's idea about the greatness of V***o P*nta engines [insert sarcasm here]

Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

EME

www.lumishore.com
Re: Ah yes, but...

I know I'm new to this boating lark but yotties still confusing me. I thought the objective of engine was to avoid tacking which was a necessary procedure to optimise use of wind in sails?

Why do you tack with engines running? Is it to look good?

P.S. Try driving La Route Napoleon. It's possible to go uphill (more or less) for about 35 minutes

...I wanna boat please..

jfm

Visit site
Re: beware resale price.

You could do it with an unmarinised engine but remeber it will utterly destroy the resale value of your boat. No-one will buy a lash up with an external exhaust or a car radiator or whatever, except at a fire-sale price. It may be this doesn't matter to you, but in case you are planning to sell in next few years and the boat still has some £££ resale value, bear it in mind

kingfisher

Visit site
Tacking with engine

1) It helps going through the tack. Especially lon(ish) keelers are slower through the tack than the high aspect keeled racers, and need some help.

2) In light airs, motor sailing increases the apparent wind speed. Combine with 3)

3) The headsail usualy can't be sheeted in as much as the main (the head sail sheets lead to a rail on the side coamings. So by removing the headsail, and overtrimming the main, a raggie can sail another 5 to 10 degrees closer to the wind. Together with 2) is usualy resorted to when you're caught in a foul tide with SWMBO (= foul mood within 15 mins).

Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com