New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

Tony Cross

Visit site
Tony - Happy new year!
As a matter of interest or practicality, when paying port police, can you pay by credit or debit card? Otherwise the thought of paying the full wack in cash on your first visit to Port Police - for those to whom this will be a surprise - they may have problems getting hold of the cash. They will need to address this, and or enable transfers from a UK bank account. I would really not want to open a Greek Bank accounts for this sole purpose.

Perhaps JimB could pick up on this in their negotiations.

I don't believe the port police (or the tax offices) are set up to accept credit or debit cards, I've never seen them. I am of course prepared to be proven wrong on that. :)

Also, it is my understanding (and I could be wrong again) that you cannot pay any bill in Greece of more than €1000 in cash. So you're right that it could be tricky finding ways to pay this because not only do foreigners probably not have a Greek bank account they almost certainly don't have a Greek tax number either. I don't know whether a tax number will be needed for this tax but it is needed for almost anything else you do financially in Greece.

And a Happy New Year to you (all) too!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We pay our marina fees by BACS from our Dutch bank account, straightforward, fast and without fees. Although this is the ideal method, I can't see it working for payments to PP. Unless the yards and marinas act as proxies.

Retired in Crete

Visit site
Also, it is my understanding (and I could be wrong again) that you cannot pay any bill in Greece of more than €1000 in cash. So you're right that it could be tricky finding ways to pay this because not only do foreigners probably not have a Greek bank account they almost certainly don't have a Greek tax number either.

To pay a bill of over 1,000 Euros it is usual to get the bank account number of the person you are paying and than pay the due amount into their account. In my case I get the cash from my bank account, walk down the road to their bank and pay the cash into their account. It makes no difference if you get the money from a hole in the wall or from any other account. Don't forget that, unlike the UK, you need ID to pay in cash in a bank.

Hope this helps

John

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
No doubt it'll be the same as DEKPA payments. PP office will issue a chit that you have to take to the tax office. Pay at tax office and off to the PP again. Prove you have paid and then get a stamp on some piece of paper ( the dekpa would be sensible so probably won't be that! :) ) to prove your payment.

No way are the PP going to be held responsible for potentially 10's of thousands in cash!

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Interesting that today the marina here in Sicily sent out an e mail detailing the New Greek tax laws.
Not soon afterwards we got an e mail saying if we book in by January 10th the price will be the same as last year.
No doubt other Italian marinas will be doing the same and thanking the Greek Government all the way to the bank.
Certainly most people here will be booking in for next year until we can work out what is happening.

Carmel2

Visit site
Interesting that today the marina here in Sicily sent out an e mail detailing the New Greek tax laws.
Not soon afterwards we got an e mail saying if we book in by January 10th the price will be the same as last year.
No doubt other Italian marinas will be doing the same and thanking the Greek Government all the way to the bank.
Certainly most people here will be booking in for next year until we can work out what is happening.

Would you mind posting what the marina said re the Greek tax laws?

Chris_Robb

Visit site

Good old fear selling! And what about the predicament of all Greek Marinas where (I presume) no-one is committing to new contracts until they know what is happening. Must be knock hell out of their cash flows.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Good old fear selling! And what about the predicament of all Greek Marinas where (I presume) no-one is committing to new contracts until they know what is happening. Must be knock hell out of their cash flows.

:) We pay every 6 months or so ....... in arrears. In cash just before we want to launch. Works for us and they seem to be quite happy with the arrangement!

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Chris_robb said:
Perhaps JimB could pick up on this in their negotiations.
We are just getting first feedback from the ministry about the cash collection system. it will take time to put it into place. Until then, it seems there will be no grounds for worry about fines or penalties. so, relax. There's a month or more to wait before there's any chance of anyone rattling your cages.

More once more details are confirmed through direct communication with the ministry - that'll take at least a couple of weeks. Positive vibes about visitor concessions though. we've been asked to advise.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
We are just getting first feedback from the ministry about the cash collection system. it will take time to put it into place. Until then, it seems there will be no grounds for worry about fines or penalties. so, relax. There's a month or more to wait before there's any chance of anyone rattling your cages.

More once more details are confirmed through direct communication with the ministry - that'll take at least a couple of weeks. Positive vibes about visitor concessions though. we've been asked to advise.

Good news, thanks for all your input Jim.

1bobt

N/A
Visit site

It would appear that the CA has rolled over and accepted this tax .
Why not a letter to Ministry showing that the CA are advising its members to leave Greece.similar to what the Marina owners have sent.

I am not a member and the CA acceptance of this tax, to me will keep it that way.
Not knocking you Jim.b but it looks like a cosy London club.

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Why not a letter to Ministry showing that the CA are advising its members to leave Greece.similar to what the Marina owners have sent.

I am not a member and the CA acceptance of this tax, to me will keep it that way.

Rather harsh comment. When did representations by any organisation change government policy? Miners' strike, picketing refineries, foxhunting rallies, etc., etc., etc. CA is at least doing something that has established a dialogue and may yet have some effect, as opposed to the official representatives of UK boating, who appear to be doing nothing.

The CA may be based in London but many members such as myself are not. I am very appreciative of the efforts being made on my behalf.

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
Rather harsh comment. When did representations by any organisation change government policy? Miners' strike, picketing refineries, foxhunting rallies, etc., etc., etc. CA is at least doing something that has established a dialogue and may yet have some effect, as opposed to the official representatives of UK boating, who appear to be doing nothing.

The CA may be based in London but many members such as myself are not. I am very appreciative of the efforts being made on my behalf.

Harsh .Yes, often the truth hurts

BurnitBlue

Visit site

My take also. Just as an example to put the point across ... to suggest to a murderer that he uses a different gun, or advise him of a more humane way to take aim is to condone the crime. To advise the Greek Government of the best way to collect this tax is ridiculous. Let Greeks work out their own way to collect the tax (which undoubtedly will not work). Allow the Greek Government to formulate their own law and rules rather than help them to smooth out the parts that would undoubtedly fail and hopefully bring down the whole shambles.

To interfere in this process and suggest ways that is acceptable is to ensure that any bad law will be defended by the Greek Government by pointing to the fact that the CA(s) were active in its implementation.

The only role the European CA clubs should have is to oppose this tax for non Greeks, period. Leave them alone to make a mess of it and it will die like the Italian attempt to tax non-Italians. But for Goodness sake stop suggesting a set of compromises that just might succeed in taking just enough money in a just enough palatable way to destroy the visitors budget.

The pre 2014 system of free passage with their own transport was just about the only advantage membership of the EU offered to ordinary people. Try and keep it.

Last edited:

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Also agree
Without saying you are opposed to a tax which may be illegal is just condoning it and saying we will accept it.
I understand there has to be some form of dialogue but the CA and anyone else has to say "They are totally opposed to this tax which is ill-conceived"
Of course everyone has to decide for themselves what they are going to do.
For us we have no choice as it would cost too much so we have to vote with our keel.