New rules on portable petrol containers?

[202876]

Visit site
Problem there ,at least for this area is marinas charge at least 25% more per litre than forecourts.
I have a 30l and 20l demountable which i take to the local petrol station to fill up , whilst saving myself £25 at todays prices .
I may be wrong but you used to be able to carry up to 333l as a private individual in a car without a license, and can put up to 500l in a tank in a trailer which powers machinery (providing everything is up to regulations)
I did try to look it up but its not that easy finding a straight forward answer on gov.uk
😱 They charge you more? That's unreal! I pay £1 p/l where I fill up.
I used to know the petroleum regs like the back of my hand, but haven't dealt in them for donkeys years and they will have likely changed by now.
🙂 Nothing ever is easy on the government website.

[202876]

Visit site
Have you checked your facts? Many / most marinas and harbours in lots of the UK don’t sell petrol, only diesel.
I wasn't talking about petrol in my case. Mine is diesel. But you might be right, I don't ask if they sell petrol, just diesel!
I'm done on this subject now anyway. No point in keeping on griping about it. It is what it is.

chriss999

sailing-chinee.com
Sorry you feel put out by this, but it was a coroners decision who asked my opinion. With regards to public safety, would you have wanted to be in the room next door to the incident? I can guarantee, you wouldn't want to be. The Fire alarm was disabled by the now deceased and if it had not have been for the quick actions of a member of staff, there would probably have been more than one fatality.
I would suggest you do like others and get yourself an approved Jerry can or two, if you feel the need to store so much fuel. Regards to the law and how much you can carry in containers in the boot, you are restricted by that. So the difference between what you can purchase and transport legally isn't worth getting worked up about.
If the government get their way, you won't be able to purchase any type of petroleum in the future, so I wouldn't worry about emissions.
If you want fuel for a boat, go to a marina that has a pump and fill it up there where you can also fill your cans. That's what I do!!!
Whatever anybody does in life, there will always be somebody who finds fault in it.
Has the law changed? Please quote chapter and verse for this.
Coroners can’t change the law as far as I know, they can only make recommendations.

[202876]

Visit site
I have no plans to become a human bonfire, but if I did, I would be surprised if more that 5 litres of petrol would be required? So,
Coroners can’t change the law as far as I know, they can only make

Has the law changed? Please quote chapter and verse for this.
Coroners can’t change the law as far as I know, they can only make recommendations.
They're called Regulation 28 reports that lead to change in law or policies.

The Q

Visit site
Sorry you feel put out by this, but it was a coroners decision who asked my opinion. With regards to public safety, would you have wanted to be in the room next door to the incident? I can guarantee, you wouldn't want to be. The Fire alarm was disabled by the now deceased and if it had not have been for the quick actions of a member of staff, there would probably have been more than one fatality.
I would suggest you do like others and get yourself an approved Jerry can or two, if you feel the need to store so much fuel. Regards to the law and how much you can carry in containers in the boot, you are restricted by that. So the difference between what you can purchase and transport legally isn't worth getting worked up about.
If the government get their way, you won't be able to purchase any type of petroleum in the future, so I wouldn't worry about emissions.
If you want fuel for a boat, go to a marina that has a pump and fill it up there where you can also fill your cans. That's what I do!!!
Whatever anybody does in life, there will always be somebody who finds fault in it.
There's no Marina or Boat yard on the Norfolk Broads that sells Petrol.

Just bought a new green plastic 5L can for SWMBOs car today....
Cap Leaks:(

lustyd

Visit site
If you want fuel for a boat, go to a marina that has a pump and fill it up there
for someone so keen to share their opinion you're remarkably poorly informed on this subject. Petrol isn't always available on the water. Are you suggesting that in locations without a petrol pump people just don't use their boats?

NormanS

Visit site
I don't feel in the least put out.
I just feel that your position is like saying that being struck and killed by a train with nine carriages, is somehow worse than being struck and killed by a train with only three carriages. There are no grades of deadness.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
It often falls upon me to collect petrol for our lifeboat station.

The RNLI provides us with a small metal trailer, which we are strongly encouraged to use. I collect up to 200 litres at a time, in approved 10 litre containers.

The supplier (one of the major supermarkets) has a Bulk Fuel Collection policy, whereby they have to cone off my part of the forecourt, and I have to fill in an electronic form giving my details, the details of the RNLI (including VAT number), and the quantity of fuel I'm collecting.

This was a bit of a faff when they first introduced the policy a couple of years ago, but it runs quite smoothly now.

Aja

Visit site
But this particular recommendation won’t save any lives. It is just another attempt to use the isolated actions of idiots as an excuse to interfere with ordinary citizens. Nice one. 😢
Don't relate the actions of idiots with those that have to resort to suicide.

chriss999

sailing-chinee.com
Don't relate the actions of idiots with those that have to resort to suicide.
Good point, I had no intention of making a general point about the awful position that some people find themselves in, which can drive them to suicide, and I apologise if any offence is taken.
But my intended point was about the specifics of this case, where 5 cans or 1 can of petrol will have a similar effect.
My view of any proposed change to legislation stands. Pointless, and unhelpful to wider society. It sounds like busybodyism.

[202876]

Visit site
Good point, I had no intention of making a general point about the awful position that some people find themselves in, which can drive them to suicide, and I apologise if any offence is taken.
But my intended point was about the specifics of this case, where 5 cans or 1 can of petrol will have a similar effect.
My view of any proposed change to legislation stands. Pointless, and unhelpful to wider society. It sounds like busybodyism.
Busybody. When your house is punching smoke out of the windows, would you call us busybodies then? If you want to see the difference 5 gallons of petrol to one makes, try experimenting in your back garden. You'll soon see the difference. Dig at me all you like buddy, but I'd challenge you to go and deal with the aftermath of this particular incident and then see how you feel.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Regulations are always put in place to protect the citizens from themselves and are made to protect the citizens who don't know better

Those who do know better tend to get upset as they see it as the state being overprotective.

We have a situation where we must get permission to sail to the next harbour along the coast were our constitution gives us the right to travel anywhere within the borders of the country (including the territorial waters).

The reason given id safety in case we sailors get into trouble and need rescuing. The fact is it's not the authorities who come out to rescue us it our NSRI (our equivalent to your RNLI ) . I donate every month to support NSRI anyway

KevinV

Visit site
I'd challenge you to go and deal with the aftermath of this particular incident and then see how you feel.
I applaud your bravery in doing your job, as well as speaking up on here.

You are human and cannot possibly have not been emotionally affected by dealing with the aftermath of this particular fuel purchase. You have twice written about how you (understandably) felt about the incident.

However, what you feel about the horror you witnessed is totally irrelevant to the judgement whether the measures limiting fuel purchases would actually have any positive effect, and totally ignores the negative effects on the vast majority of legitimate fuel purchases (ie all minus one).

I understand how you came to give the advice you gave, but think that more thought should have been given to the scope of the risk being mitigated vs the scope of the unintended consequences.