New covers/canopy, survey and haulage

Top Bouy

Visit site
Hi all,
We’re getting our first motor boat and have found a Bayliner 2655 that we like. I’m working out some of the costs. Can anyone help with estimated guide pricing for full new canopy/covers for the cockpit, and recommendations for where we could get them (we’re based near the Solent)?
Any recommendations for a marine surveyor, and road haulage in the Chichester area? Thanks in advance for the help

Scubadoo

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, the canopy canvas can cost between £1500 to £3000, best to get a few quotes and then decide, you may also want to consider customising the covers to meet your needs...e.g. split front cover above the windowscreen. Mine was approx. £1700 but that was a few years ago for a similar size boat.

I can recommend J B Yacht Services (Jim), excellent service and fitting, Jim is based in the Hamble.

alandalus11

Visit site
Try One Sails in the Hamble. We had a full cockpit enclosure done this year and they paid attention to every detail and I can't fault the service. We also wanted some alterations done to the stainless aft of the cockpit and nothing was too much trouble. In fact there were things we wanted done that others blatantly said they would not touch such as changing all the broken poppers around the windscreen. The products used were also top quality.

But I would second Scubadoo's suggestion about getting quotes. We got 4 companies in and the most expensive was at £9,500 the cheapest was £3,000 and the other two were in the middle.

Top Bouy

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, the canopy canvas can cost between £1500 to £3000, best to get a few quotes and then decide, you may also want to consider customising the covers to meet your needs...e.g. split front cover above the windowscreen. Mine was approx. £1700 but that was a few years ago for a similar size boat.

I can recommend J B Yacht Services (Jim), excellent service and fitting, Jim is based in the Hamble.
Thanks very much Scubadoo

Top Bouy

Visit site
Try One Sails in the Hamble. We had a full cockpit enclosure done this year and they paid attention to every detail and I can't fault the service. We also wanted some alterations done to the stainless aft of the cockpit and nothing was too much trouble. In fact there were things we wanted done that others blatantly said they would not touch such as changing all the broken poppers around the windscreen. The products used were also top quality.

But I would second Scubadoo's suggestion about getting quotes. We got 4 companies in and the most expensive was at £9,500 the cheapest was £3,000 and the other two were in the middle.
Thanks very much

Elessar

Visit site
Hi all,
We’re getting our first motor boat and have found a Bayliner 2655 that we like. I’m working out some of the costs. Can anyone help with estimated guide pricing for full new canopy/covers for the cockpit, and recommendations for where we could get them (we’re based near the Solent)?
Any recommendations for a marine surveyor, and road haulage in the Chichester area? Thanks in advance for the help
Considered one as my first boat but got a 2556 instead then a 2858. I had a great time including cross channel trips in my Bayliners. Here’s my 2858 before the speed limit was imposed.

DSCF4763.jpeg

Don’t listen to the nonsense about them but they do have two weaknesses to check.

The hull/deck joint is not glassed over, just sealed and bolted. Check for leaks and if there are any budget to take the rub rail off, reseal and rebolt. (Screws in some places).

And check the transom for dampness/rot. This is time consuming to fix - engine out and remove inner glass and all the wood / epoxy new wood back in place.

ashtead

Visit site
If you /boat based near Chi I would ask Covercare for a quote-very friendly family firm - parking right outside their premises at the marina - there are other Chi based covermakers I would avoid though.

Scubadoo

Visit site
Jim’s retired and enjoying his classic cars and model ships. Mine was one of the last he did. And he did a fabulous job which is of absolutely no use to the OP!
Thanks for letting us know, Jim did mentioned to me about planning to retire last year when I had some windows replaced. Now I need to replace a zip, typical...can anyone recommend someone local to Southampton area? Thanks.

Top Bouy

Visit site
Considered one as my first boat but got a 2556 instead then a 2858. I had a great time including cross channel trips in my Bayliners. Here’s my 2858 before the speed limit was imposed.

View attachment 167385

Don’t listen to the nonsense about them but they do have two weaknesses to check.

The hull/deck joint is not glassed over, just sealed and bolted. Check for leaks and if there are any budget to take the rub rail off, reseal and rebolt. (Screws in some places).

And check the transom for dampness/rot. This is time consuming to fix - engine out and remove inner glass and all the wood / epoxy new wood back in place.
Thanks very much Elessar

russ

Visit site
The 2665 was my first boat and had some great times over the 6 years of ownership.
I would consider having straps fitted to hold the side and stern windows up rather than having to remove them each time. Place a foam pipe insulation tube or waste pipe to roll them up over, this helps them to keep in shape and not to sag in the heat.
FYI Bayliners are more suited to lakes and flat seas. Have you considered a Sealine?