New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

MapisM

Visit site
Of course you have to accept that with any RPH 30m boat you are always going to get a sort of letterbox view out anyway.
I believe THIS is the key point, and most of the doubts about the screen are not so much triggered by the screens as such, but rather by what you aptly call letterbox view. OTOH, those mullions are massive, and the glasses (relatively) small, for very good reasons - i.e., they are all concurrent to the boat structural integrity.
Obviously, any half decent bluewater trawler with reverse slanted glasses will always be better in terms of visibility (regardless of the MFDs size and position), but none of them can even remotely touch the sheer beauty of this thing.
Not to mention that the f/b visibility, which is what you will enjoy and use the vast majority of the time, will surely be spectacular. (y)

benjenbav

Visit site
Many thanks :).
I'm on same page as you regarding dishwashers. As well as providing redundancy in case of breakdown, the plan is for them to do saucepans and cooking utensils, and to run heavily including during meals - helped by the quick cycle times these days. You might note that the galley sink is small - that was a trade off for the 2nd dishwasher but its a direct trade because the machine will do what the sink would have done. The sink has an insinkertor by the way.

No I've never really come across scented systems. No real experience of them, and I'm a bit worried I or someone on board might not love the scent! What I have is:
  1. Normal air-conditioning using chilled water loop. 3 x 50 btu/hour compressors with VFD-inverter driven variable speed motors instead of on/off, so there will not be any spike loads. R410A gas. Plenty of digital switching control and monitoring screens in the technical areas of the boat. All Condaria, which is Dometic these days. No chilled air enters the living areas of the boat through nozzles or small grilles (except in pilothouse) - it all goes into long plenum boxes in the ceilings to keep noise down. The whole boat is insulated - completely different approach from Fair/Prin/Seek where if you look behind the scenes you just see GRP hull/superstructure moulding. On a Sanlorenzo you see foil-skinned insulation everywhere.
  2. Forced air recirculation system in master cabin to help with the split level dressing/wardrobe area and the size of the cabin and its not-simple shape (entrance lobby etc). This was SL's suggestion by the way
  3. Massively upgraded air extraction in the shower rooms and w/cs - this was my upgrade. Literally 3 phase 1/2hp motors driving big centrifugal fans, hidden in convenient voids under the side decks or in the ceiling. Noise is ok. Flow rate is massive compared with those little 12v or whatever fans fitted by uk boat builders. Any moisture/odour is sucked out instantly, gale force wind style.
Shouldn’t need a hairdryer with that much extraction power in the showers. 👍

jfm

Visit site
I believe THIS is the key point, and most of the doubts about the screen are not so much triggered by the screens as such, but rather by what you aptly call letterbox view. OTOH, those mullions are massive, and the glasses (relatively) small, for very good reasons - i.e., they are all concurrent to the boat structural integrity.
Obviously, any half decent bluewater trawler with reverse slanted glasses will always be better in terms of visibility (regardless of the MFDs size and position), but none of them can even remotely touch the sheer beauty of this thing.
Not to mention that the f/b visibility, which is what you will enjoy and use the vast majority of the time, will surely be spectacular. (y)
Yup agreed. The massive corner mullions are not my favourite thing. They are to meet a spec of withstanding the force of decelerating a certain tonnage of green water as it hits the roof, to meet some RINA standard. Seem a bit over the top to me, but I'm not fussed because on a boat you have several minutes to move your head and see things in blind spots, not to mention radar, unlike in a car where you must see things in a split second.
And as you say 95% of driving is from the flybridge, in the climates where this thing will be based. The whole raised pilothouse is a bit of a boys' toys situation :)

Last edited:

SC35

Visit site
And as you say 95% of driving is from the flybridge, in the climates where this thing will be based. The whole raised pilothouse is a bit of a boys' toys situation :)

Indeed ... it's too small(!!) to have side helm stations: helming from the flybridge would be my happy place.

rwoofer

Visit site
Looks fantastic and your attention to detail shows - which must have been in the hundreds of hours, surely?

On that front I wonder if you will ever reach the balance point of how much attention to put in at build vs leave stuff to sort out afterwards? As you know from the tender, some people can work wonders with mods, such that you would never know they were a mod.

johng39

Visit site
Will you be keeping her in PV again? If so I will look forward to seeing her around the Cap no doubt. Been watching this thread since last year as we are based in PV too. That is bloody quick for a 96, although I prefer my fuel bill :ROFLMAO:.

We're staying down for a month starting from the Monaco F1, may see your her in port sometime. (y)

alt

Visit site
Stunning, J.

I can't add anything other than has been said already - but again thanks for the pictures, it's very interesting. Also brightens up the day here in dull, West of Ireland! - We would normally have our Cranchi in the water by now, but the weather has been so miserable to date, we haven't even compounded / polished her yet.

EricJ

Visit site
She looks absolutely stunning; beautiful both technically and esthetically.
With more displacement speeds in mind, did you also consider going for a model from the SD range? A lower max speed but larger fuel tanks/range. Not sure if that model would be more efficient than the SL96 at 10-14 knots.

jfm

Visit site
Looks fantastic and your attention to detail shows - which must have been in the hundreds of hours, surely?

On that front I wonder if you will ever reach the balance point of how much attention to put in at build vs leave stuff to sort out afterwards? As you know from the tender, some people can work wonders with mods, such that you would never know they were a mod.
Very hard to add up the hours. Where do you even start?! There is the viewing process at shows, factory visits (to two only in my case), a long contract and spec document, many hours doing sketches and photoshops, 1000 emails, several flights to Italy to see progress, and countless hours just thinking up ideas. Enjoyable process, so I tend not to count. Process started in ~December 2021, contract signed July 2022, delivery May 2024.

Hard to find the balance you mention I suppose. It was more driven by circumstances than choice. Williams annoyingly said no (after a lot of dithering) to any customisation so I had no choice but to get it done afterwards. Sanlorenzo said yes to pretty much everything, so it made my life easier to let them to the mods than do them after delivery.

Reactions: MrB

jfm

Visit site
Will you be keeping her in PV again? If so I will look forward to seeing her around the Cap no doubt. Been watching this thread since last year as we are based in PV too. That is bloody quick for a 96, although I prefer my fuel bill :ROFLMAO:.

We're staying down for a month starting from the Monaco F1, may see your her in port sometime. (y)
Hi john. Yup. My brother (Poster silverdee) and I are pretty happy with PV as our home base mooring and have four adjacent berths on 20yr leases on Mole Sud RHS. Left to right it's his new boat, my boat when it arrives, the chase boat, and his old boat now for sale (Aquastar 74). See you around if you fancy dropping by :)

jfm

Visit site
Stunning, J.

I can't add anything other than has been said already - but again thanks for the pictures, it's very interesting. Also brightens up the day here in dull, West of Ireland! - We would normally have our Cranchi in the water by now, but the weather has been so miserable to date, we haven't even compounded / polished her yet.
Thanks alt for the kind words. Hope Irish sun comes out soon. You know what to do though: put the Cranchi on a truck to the Med for a trial season. Cranchi is perfect boat for that - you and gf will love it :)

jfm

Visit site
She looks absolutely stunning; beautiful both technically and esthetically.
With more displacement speeds in mind, did you also consider going for a model from the SD range? A lower max speed but larger fuel tanks/range. Not sure if that model would be more efficient than the SL96 at 10-14 knots.
Thanks for the kind words Eric. Yup I thought hard about that, and I love the SD96. I decided against it this time because firstly I think I want the speed occasionally, and secondly I'm not seeking max interior volume and like having a full flybridge rather than enclosed saloon on the upper deck. Maybe next time :)

jfm

Visit site
Will the ship be coded / available to charter?
Nope, this will be non commercial private use only. I just don't want to charter it.
AFAIK there is only one SL96A for charter in europe, out of the 20 or so they have built. It's the quite nice 2023 boat in Croatia. There's also one for charter in florida.

Reactions: MrB

johng39

Visit site
Hi john. Yup. My brother (Poster silverdee) and I are pretty happy with PV as our home base mooring and have four adjacent berths on 20yr leases on Mole Sud RHS. Left to right it's his new boat, my boat when it arrives, the chase boat, and his old boat now for sale (Aquastar 74). See you around if you fancy dropping by :)
Hopefully all the roadworks will be done by then, the dust is crazy at times, my boat cleaner was happy though :). Last weekend at least the main road by Mole Sud was being tarmaced. I will come and say hello for sure, I think I may be off to Corsica again as we have nearly 4 weeks, never seemed to make Bonifacio, kept getting stuck on the northside & in Girolata, so peaceful. Enjoy the new "Match" in good health, she is a stunner for sure.

Seastoke

Visit site
Just a question ,what are your fender covers made from. Also thank you your delivery on the forum , you post with knowledge and passion if it’s a 19ft cuddly or a vessel like yours .

alt

Visit site
Thanks alt for the kind words. Hope Irish sun comes out soon. You know what to do though: put the Cranchi on a truck to the Med for a trial season. Cranchi is perfect boat for that - you and gf will love it :)
You don't need to convince me! After the epic forum cruise (hosted by BartW and his wonderful wife) with forum members a few years back, I was sold! I'm just at the stage where the day job takes priority, but the day will come when i'll be posting pics of our base in the Med!

I have travelled to many parts of the world and on the dull days, I still remember that week down the Med with the forum gang and it brings a smile to my face.