New boat!

Mr Googler

Visit site
VANKYO MatrixPad S10 10 inch Android Tablet, Quad-Core Processor, IPS HD Display, Slate Black

not sure on the nit value. It’s defo nothing like as good as and Ipad but for the money....it’s pretty good.

Navionics App. £34.99 a year...downloadable maps so you don’t need a data connection all the time. I wish the would do a rolling road screen though.

The Tablets have internal GPS so I don’t have to use a dedicated GPS dongle but I’ll probably get a Qwark A026 which will connect via WiFi and give GPS/AIS.

Interestingly....I removed a Raymarine c80 plotter and sold it to a commercial reseller on EBay for £285 so this lot is actually free! Proper boating maths that

Seastoke

Visit site
Very impressive panel. Looks like £10k to the untutored eye. Of course experienced pros like me can tell straight away that it only cost £290 ;)

I'd like to know please:

What brightness do the screens have? Do they publish a "nits" value?

What's the plotter software, and what charts are you using - or did I miss that from a previous post?

Where in the budget is the GPS dongle? Or was that already there?

Seriously, that panel is really good going and as I always say, these DIY nav/plotter jobs (like I have on our boat) mean that if something fails you are not in the hands of the nearest Raymarine/Garmin/BG/whatever rep and their inevitable verdict that the whole thing is shot+there are no parts available+the warranty ran out++++.... and you need a complete new system, and that will be £10k please, and there's a backlog, you'll get it just after the season ends......
He needs google maps with the womans voice .

vas

Visit site
any reason you didn't go for OpenCPN on these tablets?
A bit more hassle to setup but it's free (if you got the maps) and screen follows you as you move along (I guess that's what you mean rolling road screen?)

Mr Googler

Visit site
any reason you didn't go for OpenCPN on these tablets?
A bit more hassle to setup but it's free (if you got the maps) and screen follows you as you move along (I guess that's what you mean rolling road screen?)

by rolling road I mean cross track error really

I had Navionics app subscription anyway and you
can use it on any number or type of devices?

16FC8617-65CF-4F12-BE59-4F23B8BEB43A.jpeg

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I’ll be interested to know how viewable the screens are in practise. I’ve added a tablet to my cockpit to keep a closer eye on the sounder when fishing, links to the Simrads via wifi. Not that easy to see in bright conditions and can only really be viewed from straight ahead.

A258DEC8-5BC7-42B9-9E5A-F5DBF5FFCB39.jpeg

Mr Googler

Visit site
I’ll be interested to know how viewable the screens are in practise. I’ve added a tablet to my cockpit to keep a closer eye on the sounder when fishing, links to the Simrads via wifi. Not that easy to see in bright conditions and can only really be viewed from straight ahead.

View attachment 114334
They’d be useless in direct sunlight but my dash lifts out of the centre console (powered ?) and is well under the T Top. Not saying it will be perfect but in my case, should be in shade most of the time. Wouldn’t work on a flybridge or sports boat setup

You need more electronics on yours too ??

Portofino

Visit site
If I can come in on the sun thing + screens , yep it’s infuriating with apple products you would have thought someone would have sorted it .
Well ( back to boats ) Lorenz have .Yup appropriately named ..........
85CC95F4-2117-4642-A988-899563E73C68.jpeg
B8E5750A-1C5E-46A7-B31B-50D24FCC99EC.jpeg
Old tech and I,am in no rush to change .
When I bought it in 2014 like most I drew up a refurb list and buoyed on by the forum to update tech go screen etc .
But it works as the name suggests “ SUN “
No idea how btw .But as I say if you are an apple device user you get the impression it’s an unfathomable tech thing .It ain’t !

madabouttheboat

Visit site
If I can come in on the sun thing + screens , yep it’s infuriating with apple products you would have thought someone would have sorted it .
Well ( back to boats ) Lorenz have .Yup appropriately named ..........
View attachment 114349
View attachment 114350
Old tech and I,am in no rush to change .
When I bought it in 2014 like most I drew up a refurb list and buoyed on by the forum to update tech go screen etc .
But it works as the name suggests “ SUN “
No idea how btw .But as I say if you are an apple device user you get the impression it’s an unfathomable tech thing .It ain’t !

Its all part of why a dedicated marine display is considerably more than an android, or even Apple, tablet. Environmental protection is another. You get what you pay for. Tablets can work well, and are nice and cheap, so I think they have their place, but as previously mentioned, probably not on a flybridge, in an open sportsboat cockpit or on a RIB.

Alicatt

Visit site
My Lenovo laptop which is an old convertible tablet/laptop had an option for a daylight screen but then you could not have multi touch which was the more important feature for my use. As I mainly use it in the car where it is reasonably shaded even in the bright Spanish sunshine.
Belgian Rain:
SHaa2Cqsm.jpg

In the hills of Catalonia
it8WYsiSM.jpg
Blue trace is the route as pre planned, red trace is actual route with the car sitting where the red circle is.

Actual location of the vehicle
TmdbKgvSM.jpg

But it is totally useless in direct sun.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Screen brightness, which is what is needed for good sunlight visibility, is a killer of batteries. This is why many laptops and tablets don't have them. On a boat where they are permanently wired, it would be nice to have the option of an internal-battery killing screen brightness button, but I suppose we are very much in the minority needing this..

Portofino

Visit site
Screen brightness, which is what is needed for good sunlight visibility, is a killer of batteries. This is why many laptops and tablets don't have them. On a boat where they are permanently wired, it would be nice to have the option of an internal-battery killing screen brightness button, but I suppose we are very much in the minority needing this..
Thx wondered why , the apple pathetic ness .
Every days a school day in here ......for most :).

westernman

www.devalk.nl
My lap top will automatically reduce brightness when unplugged from the mains.

Most monitors for maritime use will also have a knob on them to manually reduce the brightness - essential at night.