New Boat, crack..

machurley22

Visit site
Link works for me. It is a huge pic and will be v. slow if you're on dial-up. I'm not sure which is the crack we're supposed to be looking at though.

Dave

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Has this recently opened as in there is water under there that has frozen, or was it a matter you have only just noticed it after a over vigorous alongside?

david_bagshaw

Visit site
How soft is the filling , is it just a case of scrape out & renew

From the picture it looks like that

Personally I would take a careful look at other boats of same type, unless you are approaching a garantee run out time.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Before you do perhaps you should get some professional advice incase it is early sign the bond between the 2 parts has failed.

SilverBreeze

www.sail.ie
John...

I agree with David, it "looks" like a bond failure between hull and deck. I'm guessing you are in DLHM? If so, have a look at some of the other 211's in the Marina and then (the very best of luck with this) ring BJ Marine.

You'll wanna get this well and truly sorted before you head for Baltimore!

alan

Visit site
I have juat had a look at a 211 in my marina this morning and I don't see any cracks on that one. If I undersatnd the photo correctly the crack is where the top moulding is bonded to the hull moulding. It looks like you would need to remove the old "mastik" (or whatever is used for filling the gap) and then refill with a suitable material (silkaflex?).

However, as someone has already stated if the boat is under warranty (Ben have a five year warranty on their hulls) then get the local Beneteau dealer to look at it and repair it. Beneteau after sales service is excellent and it does not matter if you did not buy the boat from that particular dealer - the Ben dealer network arrangement actually works (and is not just a publicity gimmick!!).

Does not look too serious to me but you may want to understand why it happened:
just a bad adhesion of the filler, or has there been some distortion of the hull??

Alan.
Nettuno, Italy.

snowleopard

Visit site
as has been said, if the boat is new, get the manufacturers to fix it.

it looks from the picture as though there has been an over-enthusiastic use of filler in the angle between the mouldings. filler tends to be brittle as it isn't reinforced with fibre but in your case it looks like a failure of the bond between the filler and the gelcoat, probably as a result of inadequate de-greasing and abrasion. in short, a bit of slapdash workmanship that would definitely come under warranty/sale of goods act.

Johnboy2004

Visit site
hi i phoned dealer today, he said he would get someone to look at it next week. will let you know the outcome..

as a point of interest if the boat needed to be lifted out for the repair , who would have to pay the lift out charges?

thanks

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Glad to hear they are responding quickly, while you have them there I would get them to look at the stress fracture near the bottom of that rail/stanchion.