new barometer

sakura26

Visit site
my question is a choice for a new barometer,
a) digital feeding into an n2k network, if so which one, or
b) traditional to match the clock, or
c) what do you want a barometer for ?
If it's pertinent the yacht is a contessa 26.
thanks in advance for all help and advice.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site

It's for trends to help predict weather so in my opinion it should be easy to read somewhere close to your logbook. Or have a digital trend plot.
Mine is built into my battery monitor and meets both requirements.

5_slide.png

VicS

Visit site

Traditional one to match the clock.

You are really only interested in trends but it is nice to have one that is reading correctly. Therefore adjust it one day when the SL pressure is reasonably steady and close to the average of 1013 mb. taking a reading from the nearest semi official weather station such as at a airport or a major harbour (and correcting that for your height above sealevel if you are doing it at home). XC weather has a good selection of reliable observations

[3889]

Visit site
You know it makes sense. Bigger, faster, stronger, accurater.
Screenshot_20190306-152251_Chrome.jpg

Spend the savings on some tallow for your lead line.

Randolph

Visit site
As I understand it most, if not all, barometer apps use your gps position and download pressure from a nearby weather station. No phone signal, no reading.
Stick to a brass one

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
My question would be, do you want the aesthetics of a brass barometer or something electric and functional?

I wanted the latter that would feed pressure into my laptop. I ended up making a barometer using a sensor and an arduino. The end result can be used as a stand alone device or it can be plugged into the PC to feed into OpenCPN

Its all in the long thread here http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...DIY-electronics-project&p=6612009#post6612009

TudorSailor

vas

Visit site
As I understand it most, if not all, barometer apps use your gps position and download pressure from a nearby weather station. No phone signal, no reading.
Stick to a brass one

not sure you're right. My sony xperia android mobile has baro sensor just checked it, reports 1020mb down here and sensor data logger app does some nice graphs.

vas

Visit site
A simple baro sensor cannot make sense without a reference, usually sea level pressure (QNH). It has to get that reference from either manual input (in which case you must already know) or fetch it online. So I do wonder where your 1020mb comes from.

no idea, just reporting what the sensor says. Temp today was around 18C, now 14C, clear blue skies, elevation around 20mtrs and currently 150mtrs from waterfront so 1020 doesn't seem odd.
For sure haven't manually added something, but again haven't added anything on an arduino -> N2K project with a baro sensor that I've got (not on now to compare)

cheers

V.

Skylark

Visit site
You know it makes sense. Bigger, faster, stronger, accurater.

Spend the savings on some tallow for your lead line.

Although I don’t have tallow. I do have a lead line aboard and, at least once per season, use it to check / adjust / calibrate my depth gauge

Regarding blind obedience to electronics:-

no idea, just reporting what the sensor says.

I rest my case, m’laud:)

vas

Visit site
Although I don’t have tallow. I do have a lead line aboard and, at least once per season, use it to check / adjust / calibrate my depth gauge

Regarding blind obedience to electronics:-

I rest my case, m’laud:)

me too as I didn't find any procedure to calibrate it online nor any need for it tbh :p
enjoy your lead line and no doubt sextant. I'm afraid I haven't got nor have any need for such hi-tech devices where I use my boat.
I do have an ornamental chrome plated brass barometer whose needle is all over the place.
I prefer to look at the graph produced by the Maretron DSM250 screen or the trend by the Garmin plotter (fed by a 2euro chip similar to the one used by tudorsailor).
Saves me having to log values using a pen and paper (also difficult to find onboard)

cheers

V.

sakura26

Visit site
thanks for the replies and wisdom.
I think i'm leaning n2k but probably just need reassuring that the tech is reliable.

andsarkit

Visit site
There was a Lidl one last week that has Barometer with a trend graph, radio controlled clock, sunrise, sunset, moon phase, humidity and temperature all for £14.99. The last one I had lasted about 4 years before it succumbed to damp. The mechanical one that came with the boat is 50 years old and still working fine so take your pick. I have both.

Euphonyx

Visit site
you shouldn't post links of things to buy!
Last time you had me buying a dozen DS18B20 and now this...
shame on you, just ordered one ;)

V.

Arghhhh... me too! I have a Weems and Plath which i swear by but the Tekkie on the boat keeps telling me it "lags" behind his App. Still ... it's prettier than him and his App.

weems-and-plath-nautilus-collection-barometer.jpg