new barometer

Euphonyx

Visit site
BTW on a serious note, the Barometer is an essential piece of safety equipment. I dont think its a choice between a digital n2k one and an independent mechanical one. If you are getting a digital one you also need a mechanical one as backup. It's essentially unsafe to rely exclusively on a barometer that depends on battery power IMO. Similar discussion about plotting your course on paper even though you have a chart plotter. Its fine for convenience but maybe I'm being old fashioned.

GHA

Visit site
One of these :cool:

sku_436672_2_70x70.jpg

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
When I bought the boat I installed a set of Weems and Plath instruments- tide clock, barometer and temperature- above the chart table. They are budget choices (plastic not brass housings) but I like the mix of modern and tradition that they represent. Agree with others that at the very least it’s a tip of the hat to the core principles and history of going to sea and I always feel a pleasure to look at them and use them.

vas

Visit site
One of these :cool:

sku_436672_2_70x70.jpg

I have a couple of these but I also recently bought an exterior temp humidity sensor (just in case)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wall-Mou...892333?hash=item2cd8be032d:g:kpUAAOSwUf5bYfIF

sorry but the digital is hideous, really is!
The plastic analogue one is nice and modern, pitty I'm on a (recently) stabilised mobo so part of it is not really suitable :p

cheers

V.

[3889]

Visit site
As I understand it most, if not all, barometer apps use your gps position and download pressure from a nearby weather station. No phone signal, no reading.
Stick to a brass one

Nah, phone has a pressure sensor in. If you want better weather you can squeeze the phone. I have also compared the accuracy of the phone to a bourdon tube barometer against weather stations and it is better, though not massively so.

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
So get your brass barometer (assuming you have one) on eBay and correct that shortcoming.
https://www.marinestore.co.uk/Merch...cm9B6oPOm01WM05QhFnhkYp7nMertclhoCjV0QAvD_BwE

Thanks for the link, I may well buy some and try using it :) By the looks of it, if it doesn’t work I can always use it to make bread and dripping.

My boat is not brass vintage. I have a pair of stainless steel, W&P (their cheap range) clock and baro.

I also have a Walker log which makes an occasional appearance, it’s a fun exercise to check its calibration over measured mile posts.

Joking apart, lead lines are very useful if you sail different vessels. Some boats read water depth, others below the keel depth. Safety factors vary from 0.1 to 0.5m. It’s nice to know the depth gauge reading.