Neville Shute’s Yacht Wrecked

Alfredmylne

Visit site
Local press reporting that “Runagate” a 40 ft yacht that once belonged to Neville Shute has been wrecked in Granton West Harbour, Edinburgh after breaking her lines during storm Alwen. Apparently on her way from Newcastle to Charlestown harbour on the Forth. She was not in great nick before being wrecked and the harbour she was en route to is known as a graveyard for old vessels. If anyones got 62A51837-9C7A-4E65-801E-4750AD00CAFD.jpeg‘ more details would be interested.

Stemar

Visit site
A shame, but I can't help thinking she took the dignified way out.

Unless of real historical value and lucky enough to find someone with a LOT of money and the right kind of mental deficiencies (rose coloured glasses not optional) to take on a wooden project, the fate of a boat like that is to end up as the home of [content removed] gradually going downhill until they can't keep her afloat any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmh

Visit site
Neville Shute must have owned it a long time ago, The died about 1962 in Australia I think. I know he lived in Australia from the mid 1950's.
Many of the Shute novels feature yacht sailing in 30/40's often from the Hamble area. I think at one time he did own a yacht in the Hamble.
David MH

Rafiki

Visit site
Neville Shute must have owned it a long time ago, The died about 1962 in Australia I think. I know he lived in Australia from the mid 1950's.
Many of the Shute novels feature yacht sailing in 30/40's often from the Hamble area. I think at one time he did own a yacht in the Hamble.
David MH
Yes that's why I've read nearly all his books, they also nearly always feature a solicitor as one of the main characters.

jdjp

Visit site
I think at one time he did own a yacht in the Hamble.
According to Shute's biography he got a job in university summer holidays as paid crew on a 28 ton yawl moored in the Hamble (and owned by a local solicitor). I enjoyed his description of tacking down the river in the engineless yacht...

"Running on the mud or kedging off was normal, and collisions with other boats moored in the river were so frequent that it was normal practice for the owner to keep a supply of visiting cards handy near the cockpit. When you collided with another yacht and carried away his crosstrees or forestay you would apologise profusely ... hand your card to the owner or his paid hand requesting him to send you the bill, and go bumping on your way to the sea, while the paid hand on the other boat got busy [repairing the damage]."

davidmh

Visit site
There was also lot of flying in small aircraft in his books, in real life he was an aeronautical engineer, he worked on many designs including Airships. He ran his own aircraft building factory. He also had an air transport company , Airspeed, in Portsmouth. His real name is Neville Norway. I love detail of the plots, they are all possible. His engineering details are spot on. I have all his books some are first editions which I inherited from my father who was an engineer in the RAF, having previously worked for Hawker aircraft and Westlands. I am sure that in some novels some of the characters are Shute himself, others are people he knew.

David MH

Cardinal

Visit site
Fascinating information in that link for which many thanks.
It would be great if someone or some body stepped in to save Runagate.

Wansworth

Visit site
Interesting it had a chine Da I’d Hillyard was keen on reducing costs in his yacht building including the owners choice had to be white,!Quite basic boatbuilding borrowing from fishing boat construction .

Jayayecee

Visit site
Charlestown in a tragedy and a travesty. Potentially beautiful harbour in a great locations but full of rotting hulks and unfriendly, unwelcoming people. Such a waste. On a side note: I interviewed for a position with the now defunct Hawker Siddeley Aviation in 1970 and the lead interviewer asked my why I wanted to work in aviation. My reply "because I read a lot of Nevil Shute novels" Turned out it was exactly the right answer! No I didn't accept the offer and I have no regrets.

awol

Visit site
Charlestown in a tragedy and a travesty. Potentially beautiful harbour in a great locations but full of rotting hulks and unfriendly, unwelcoming people. Such a waste. On a side note: I interviewed for a position with the now defunct Hawker Siddeley Aviation in 1970 and the lead interviewer asked my why I wanted to work in aviation. My reply "because I read a lot of Nevil Shute novels" Turned out it was exactly the right answer! No I didn't accept the offer and I have no regrets.
If only it wasn't for the mud.