Need to get home

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I know the couple concerned and I would normally trust their judgment . When I said I wouldn't make the trip it was because of the potential problems with authorities on the way. Repatriation is a valid excuse for travel but, lots of "stop and check" is the norm and there may be language difficulties causing problems. Most likely mandatory quarantine when entering Portugal.

In a camper van with sufficient fuel to do the trip without having to stop for fuel and all facilities on board plus the very limited amount of traffic reducing the chance of an accident, they would be at less risk of picking up the virus than those of us who head to the supermarket and mix with others, one day a week - never thought I would look forward to doing that.:)

The yard was locked down on 18th March as far as haul in/out and staff are concerned but those there or able to get there can still live on boats and continue with work. We left the day after vehicle gates were locked but for some time before, everyone had already been distancing when talking so I see no problems there, except for communal toilet and shower facilities. I suspect most will be glad to see OP return.

Hi Graham
One just has to be carful what one say in these times it's very easy to upset people who are desperate to get back to there boats, so I have been trying to tone what I write .but some time you can't beat around the bush .

I have said the same to very good cruisers I known for years as I wrote here.
None have tried to get back to there boat.
I not trying to upset any one or disrespect the OP .
If any thing trying to keep these people out of trouble, I appreciate my reply isn't to his liking .

Yes I do know you know the couple but hand on heart unless you been traveling with them there no way you can Be sure they not been in contact accidentally with some one who's infected.

You are correct in saying people are allowed to travel to return to the Residence.
But that's because there are resident in the UK or where every.
The OP have said he his had a reply from the British Embassy saying he can go back .
So he half way there .
I just hope if he does have a problem the British Embassy will step in to help him .
My experience from others who had problem is their been no help at all .
Maybe he be kind enough to let us all know how he got on so other who want to go back know what to expect .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Of course this is all quite normal.... mass graves in New York, refrigerated lorries collecting the dead from hospitals in Italy and Spain, York (UK) council trying to ban funerals, new mass morgues being set up across the UK, 15 dead in a Luton carehome... all quite normal.... :mad::mad::mad:
I can Imagine how anyone can say what's happening is normal .
Have I lost touch with people ideasand the valve of human life.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Hi Graham
One just has to be carful what one say in these times it's very easy to upset people who are desperate to get back to there boats, so I have been trying to tone what I write .but some time you can't beat around the bush .

I agree with most of what you say and I would be one of the first to criticise anyone with a home who was contemplating returning to the boat, in effect the holiday home. I'm in UK now and wouldn't even think of trying to get back to boat or even to Portuguese apartment as I could do, as that is my registered residence there. We do need to consider though, some people's boat is their only home and stuck in a van , converted to a very basic camper van, because outside circumstances have changed, is not a place to be long term and I too would be looking to escape.

Beneteau381

Visit site
T
Of course this is all quite normal.... mass graves in New York, refrigerated lorries collecting the dead from hospitals in Italy and Spain, York (UK) council trying to ban funerals, new mass morgues being set up across the UK, 15 dead in a Luton carehome... all quite normal.... :mad::mad::mad:
I am still puzzled by the British Heart Foundation stats, 460 a day, every day of the year, die from heart and chest issues, so are these being counted as well or separately?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I am still puzzled by the British Heart Foundation stats, 460 a day, every day of the year, die from heart and chest issues, so are these being counted as well or separately?

It will be interesting to see the statistics when this is over. Many people with serious problems who were going to die anyway have been seen off a tad early by the virus so, likely we will see a reduction in reported deaths for some categories of ailment. Some of the elderly who would have died of winter flu and pneumonia have died of Corona instead so, reported flu deaths for the season may be down.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
At last someone who seems to have a grip on the reality of this total mess, what people don’t seem to realise is that a lockdown in this kind of circumstances can only be effective if done for a period of 36 to48 months.
Covid will not go away with a couple of months lock down IT WILL STILL BE HERE
over 80% of the population are going to get this eventually and that’s the only way we will get over it, it’s called herd immunity and like any other disease we have to live with the consequences of the death rate to get herd immunity when we have no cure.
Even if we did have a cure you you are still getting a dose of the disease to get that immunity all be it in a controlled dose.

Put your hand in your pocket , there thousand of single occupancy Airbnb close to you .Me me me snowflake!

cherod

Visit site
good luck Ironmaiden , i hope you make it ,, personally i would wait till later in the week until the easter rush has died down. (y)

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
k
You do not know the circumstances so why all the aggression?

Rather than here, think you would be happier in The Lounge.
Reading your posts on many issues ,of which ,you are usually wrong , I am incensed that after all news outlet broadcasts say the same thing .DO NOT TRAVEL. ....there's not a lot of difficulty to understand a simple message.
Why would any sensible person resist the obvious, other than selfishness. Sorry if it offends the snowflakes ,but sometime s the truth hurts...

Paulg25

Visit site
It will be interesting to see the statistics when this is over. Many people with serious problems who were going to die anyway have been seen off a tad early by the virus so, likely we will see a reduction in reported deaths for some categories of ailment. Some of the elderly who would have died of winter flu and pneumonia have died of Corona instead so, reported flu deaths for the season may be down.

From the FT...

Speaking at a parliamentary hearing last week, Professor Neil Ferguson, director of the Medical Research Council’s Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis at Imperial College London, said it was not yet clear how many ‘excess deaths’ caused by coronavirus there would be in the UK. However, he said the proportion of Covid-19 victims who would have died anyway could be ‘as many as half or two-thirds’.

cherod

Visit site
k
Reading your posts on many issues ,of which ,you are usually wrong , I am incensed that after all news outlet broadcasts say the same thing .DO NOT TRAVEL. ....there's not a lot of difficulty to understand a simple message.
Why would any sensible person resist the obvious, other than selfishness. Sorry if it offends the snowflakes ,but sometime s the truth hurts...
lots of people are travelling,, lots of people have good reason to travel ..

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Instead of posting on here ,each and everyone of you snowflake ....,Phone your nearest police station and put your point of view over to them , I will welcome their responses ....

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
are you a complete idiot

So your obvious discomfort is enough for you to jeopardise the lives of those you meet on your travels and possible friends at your boat / yard , phone in front to tell them you are comming. What part of do not travel is difficult for you and others on this thread to understand.

And you don't know my circumstances my 49 year old partner died last week of it ,leaving my daughter with her 70 year old Granny in Austria .I am not allowed to go to the funeral . Do NOT TRAVEL.

Me me me snowflake!

other than selfishness. Sorry if it offends the snowflakes

Instead of posting on here ,each and everyone of you snowflake ...

It's good to see that following the Kubler-Ross model you have now reached Anger.

Last week, the time your partner so tragically died, you were obviously in the Denial stage given your Forum posts.

When you get to the Depression stage the Forum will be here for you.

They helped me when I needed it.

Reactions: RAI

greeny

Visit site
rtboss1 - whilst i understand and to some degree share your sentiments, you demonstrate a complete lack of empathy and understanding of other peoples positions. You seem intent on causing confrontation and disruption in this thread. Calling people names like "snowflake" does nothing for sensible discussion or information flow. Civility is clearly not one of your better qualities.
You can make any comment to this that you wish but I will not respond. I've read enough already.