NECO Autopilot Update

tillergirl

Visit site
I thought it might be twin helms. Aves marine will need to advise on that. Certainly the Onwa would be a very simple replacement of the Neco Control Unit for a single helm.

tillergirl

Visit site
There is an Onwa remote. I have no experience of that but I think that it is almost identical in operation to the Neco remote controllers. I had one of the very rare Neco controllers which allowed 'dodging'. I think the Onwa remote has a little more functionality which might give you a very cost effective solution.

Captain Steve

Visit site
Hi Tillergirl,
My wife calls me Captain Procrastinator, not Captain Steve. I looked at the power relays in the Mouser catalog back when you replied last year and the configuration is much different than the relays that are installed. I went to the boat to get some photos and also to check that the existing system and relays are 12V but got bogged down in life......
I spent about six months working on other issues on my boat then left for the Bahamas. I just returned from a successful (no serious issues with any systems and didn't hit anything!) two months cruise. The NECO worked flawlessly like it always has for the 33 years and one circumnavigation that we have used it for.

In any case I believe the time to replace the relays has come as the contacts are seriously eroded and could fail suddenly at sea.

The configuration shown in the Mouser catalog is very different and not sure it will fit. It's possible the one I will get from your link could be different but I wanted to get some feedback from you before I order one. Will it be a different configuration? Will it fit anyway?IMG_20220321_174711.jpgIMG_20220321_174745.jpgIMG_20220321_174807.jpgIMG_20220321_175345.jpg

I am attaching photos of my existing relay

Regards,
Captain Steve

danielefua

Visit site
Hi Captain Steve,
Please find attached a note I wrote on the problems you cite; you may find useful suggestions.
Daniel

Attachments

• Note_on_the_Relays.pdf
    115 KB · Views: 9

tillergirl

Visit site
Hi Cap't Steve

It is good that Daniele has sent you the notes. You caught me just finishing a complete re-structure of all my photos on the comfuter (sic) so it took me a little while to find this:

P1050627 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

This is the pair of new replacement relays. They are identical to the original relays. I have looked back at the reference I had posted and the image on the Mouser website are not like the ones that were sent. If you see the pdf on the link you will see there are several slightly different relays in the series. I have dug out the invoice (2019): Mouser Part Number 655-PTD-5DYO-12: Manufacturer Part No PRD-5DYO-12. Description: TE Connectivity General Purpose Relays SPDT SCR TERM 12VDC. Note that my system is 12 volt. Note also you may notice there is an automotive style relay (small black box with 4 terminals) just to the right of the right hand relay. That is an addition you can ignore. It was added when the Neco Control Unit failed (again) and I fitted an Onwa Automatic Pilot. the addition relay was necessary to command the clutch so ignore that.

I hope helps. Regards to Daniele.... and you Steve

Captain Steve

Visit site
Hi Cap't Steve

It is good that Daniele has sent you the notes. You caught me just finishing a complete re-structure of all my photos on the comfuter (sic) so it took me a little while to find this:

This is the pair of new replacement relays. They are identical to the original relays. I have looked back at the reference I had posted and the image on the Mouser website are not like the ones that were sent. If you see the pdf on the link you will see there are several slightly different relays in the series. I have dug out the invoice (2019): Mouser Part Number 655-PTD-5DYO-12: Manufacturer Part No PRD-5DYO-12. Description: TE Connectivity General Purpose Relays SPDT SCR TERM 12VDC. Note that my system is 12 volt. Note also you may notice there is an automotive style relay (small black box with 4 terminals) just to the right of the right hand relay. That is an addition you can ignore. It was added when the Neco Control Unit failed (again) and I fitted an Onwa Automatic Pilot. the addition relay was necessary to command the clutch so ignore that.

Thank you!
Hi Cap't Steve

I would like to confirm the above: You have Mouser Part Number 655-PTD-5DYO-12. Should it be 655-PRD-5DYO-12?

Captain Steve

Visit site
Yesw, sorry, a typo. PRD. I have worn out the letters on the keys on my keyboard!
I have received the new relay and it is not as expected. I was expecting an assembly of two contacts and I received half of that (see photo). Was I supposed to order two? Different than the photo that Mousers had. I'm quite confused. New relay.jpg1689864367375.png1689864367375.png

danielefua

Visit site
I have received the new relay and it is not as expected. I was expecting an assembly of two contacts and I received half of that (see photo). Was I supposed to order two? Different than the photo that Mousers had. I'm quite confused. View attachment 160340View attachment 160340
This is exactly what you need but you should have ordered two units. They are quite expensive, I know, but this is the way it works! :)
Daniel

tillergirl

Visit site
Daniele is, of course, right Steve. In the first photo you can see a pair of relays. They separate quite easily. I see I paid £77.76 for the pair in December, 2019.

Captain Steve

Visit site
The old (ancient) relays which were replaced in 1993 or 94 at the very beginning of our circumnavigation are still working fine. Will I get some warning that they need to be changed before final failure? They look quite pitted but are working flawlessly.

tillergirl

Visit site
We best have the advice of Daniele. I replaced both relays because I was getting an intermittent failure of one of the relays; sometime the tests were fine but an hour later the one failed. The contacts were not badly pitted but there was, as I say, had an intermittent fault. I also had a problem on the Control Unit at the same time so I replaced the relays so that the Drive Unit could be considered reliable.

spaten

Visit site
I would like to remotely control the autopilot. Since the original remote control is no longer available for purchase, I need a good DIY solution. Is there an elegant way to achieve this? Is there any informational material available for this project? Has anyone done something similar before? Where would be the best entry point for this modification?

Additionally, I'm curious about how to handle the compass signal effectively and how to directly control the relays in an easy way.

spaten

Visit site
I've got the very basic System: Neco NM 692 Compass, Control Unit and Drive Unit. Everything is working fine. (except for some reliability issues probably due to corroded contacts ;) - I'm currently working on this)
My goal is to remotecontrol (with cable or wireless) the steering of the boat.

tillergirl

Visit site
The Neco, to my knowledge, did not have a 'true' remote control in the modern sense. The remote control unit was a 'dodge' control: i.e you could dial up some many degrees this way or that way, press and hold the button and the Neco would turn to the required degrees. On releasing the button, it wuld revert to the previously set course. Given the technology I don't think you can add a modern remote control without replacing the Control Unit - which would be a shame.