NECO Autopilot Update

Tradewinds

Visit site
I have had this done this with new Raymarine ACU400 a couple of years ago. I sent the motor to the Hudson Marine and they basically removed the internals at the top of the Neco Motor and binned them. They then attached some cables and labeled them for me. I just connected the cables directly into the ACU 400, set it up and off we went. Hudson Marine also tested the motor first to make sure it was working okay. All the gubbins at the top of the Neco motor are not needed for the Raymarine.

Basically there are now 3 cables, paired red and black per cable, coming out the motor: Clutch, Power, Motor and the Raymarine manual tells you where to connect each to. The ACU 400 then drives the motor part and does not require any of the stuff that was on top of the motor.

Cost was not much, a couple of hours work by Hudson as it is just a test and a 3 wire tails added.

Marine Electronics UK
Wow sounds a lot simpler than my conversion.

Jhenkel

Visit site
Hello Everyone, I am really excited that this post seems to be not entirely dead! I have the same drive unit, and am looking to try and control it via a raspberry pi running pypilot. pypilot - open source marine autopilot Can anyone advise if this is possible, before I start beating my head against the wall trying?
Has anyone got a simple procedure to verify that the drive unit itself isn't dead?
Thanks in advance!

tillergirl

Visit site
Hello Everyone, I am really excited that this post seems to be not entirely dead! I have the same drive unit, and am looking to try and control it via a raspberry pi running pypilot. pypilot - open source marine autopilot Can anyone advise if this is possible, before I start beating my head against the wall trying?
Has anyone got a simple procedure to verify that the drive unit itself isn't dead?
Thanks in advance!
Yes I have a copy of Daniele's tests for the Neco. PM me an email address and I'll forward it. I have notes of adapting the Drive Unit to 'mate' with an Onwa Auto Pilot. The procedure will probably explain how you can 'mate' a pypilot. All the Neco Drive Unit wants is some commands. A basic relay will be needed in the Neco (simples)

danielefua

Visit site
Yes I have a copy of Daniele's tests for the Neco. PM me an email address and I'll forward it. I have notes of adapting the Drive Unit to 'mate' with an Onwa Auto Pilot. The procedure will probably explain how you can 'mate' a pypilot. All the Neco Drive Unit wants is some commands. A basic relay will be needed in the Neco (simples)
Presently I am in vacation but if Tillergirl has the note on how to pinpoint a problem in the Neco, it is indeed the thing you need.
You will find there several tests to check the health of the Neco Drive Unit motor, of the clutch and of the relays. There are indicated also other tests but you will not need them.
If you need further assistance please get in touch with me at the end of next week.
Daniel

Jhenkel

Visit site

Hi Tillergirl,
For whatever reason it seems I don't yet have the ability to private message, (perhaps because I'm marked as a new member) or maybe I'm not sure where to find that functionality. I'd definitely appreciate the content. Would you mind initiating a PM with me and I can go ahead and respond?
Thanks!

D

Deleted member 36384

My advice after using a NECO motor with Raymarine ACU400, is to buy a Jeffa rotary drive. The NECO motors at the age they are, are prone to failure. You go through all this hassle of getting them to work, then they fail to work a year or two in. The Jeffa is superior in every way. Cost about £1200 for the version suitable for a 41’ yacht. Don’t waste your time converting the Neco motor. I did, wish I hadn’t, despite earlier success. Mine now fails regularly and I am sure it is to do with temperature, it just stops responding to signals from the ACU400. Don’t waste your time on something that will fail, commit to a new motor.

Jhenkel

Visit site
Presently I am in vacation but if Tillergirl has the note on how to pinpoint a problem in the Neco, it is indeed the thing you need.
You will find there several tests to check the health of the Neco Drive Unit motor, of the clutch and of the relays. There are indicated also other tests but you will not need them.
If you need further assistance please get in touch with me at the end of next week.
Daniel
Hi Daniel,
Tillergirl has forwarded me the notes, I really appreciate both of your time. I'll definitely reach out Daniel when I get closer to testing the unit. I'm away from my boat for a few weeks more!

Jhenkel

Visit site
My advice after using a NECO motor with Raymarine ACU400, is to buy a Jeffa rotary drive. The NECO motors at the age they are, are prone to failure. You go through all this hassle of getting them to work, then they fail to work a year or two in. The Jeffa is superior in every way. Cost about £1200 for the version suitable for a 41’ yacht. Don’t waste your time converting the Neco motor. I did, wish I hadn’t, despite earlier success. Mine now fails regularly and I am sure it is to do with temperature, it just stops responding to signals from the ACU400. Don’t waste your time on something that will fail, commit to a new motor.
Thanks those motors look really impressive! I'll definitely consider it if this proves to be problematic!

duncan mckenzie

Visit site
Hi Daniel,
Tillergirl has forwarded me the notes, I really appreciate both of your time. I'll definitely reach out Daniel when I get closer to testing the unit. I'm away from my boat for a few weeks more!
Daniel
Dear Daniel, It is Duncan here, the owner of Czarina Blue Nicholson 38 ketch after Mike Bennett sold her to me five years ago. As you may recall through your communications with Mike, I have the NECO DRIVE UNIT 17DR8 running through a SIMRAD AP22 brain. I know that you and Mike worked on finalising a document explaining how to set up such a pairing, great work indeed. My set has worked well for three years then recently it has been not working well.
I am having the problem that the motor or the autopilot is not turning the wheel to port, only to starboard. When trying and failing to steer to port, the Simrad says 'Alarm: Rudder Response Failure'. It happened at sea two days ago, rendering the autopilot useless, but today after I changed all the relays in case it was that, and after installing them I began to do the Dockside settings, and it failed the Automatic Rudder Test, because it could not steer to port. Now I am wondering if I need to get the Neco drive unit brushes looked at? In your experience could this be the culprit with these symptoms? I am getting Rudder Feedback OK from the feedback arm in the lazarette. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I have also messaged
Ah, of course. The forum rules needs time and a few goes before you can pm. I don't think I can pm you yet either. Send me your email at info@crossingthethamesestuary.com. That is my web site and will save us spurging our private emails on the Interweb.
Not sure if Tillergirl can forward me Daniel's notes too? I can't seem to email her at thames estuary address.
DF marine electronics Facbook page about it, in case the might be useful. as I understand he is very knowledgeable. Regards, Duncan

duncan mckenzie

Visit site
Dear Daniel, It is Duncan here, the owner of Czarina Blue Nicholson 38 ketch after Mike Bennett sold her to me five years ago. As you may recall through your communications with Mike, I have the NECO DRIVE UNIT 17DR8 running through a SIMRAD AP22 brain. I know that you and Mike worked on finalising a document explaining how to set up such a pairing, great work indeed. My set has worked well for three years then recently it has been not working well.
I am having the problem that the motor or the autopilot is not turning the wheel to port, only to starboard. When trying and failing to steer to port, the Simrad says 'Alarm: Rudder Response Failure'. It happened at sea two days ago, rendering the autopilot useless, but today after I changed all the relays in case it was that, and after installing them I began to do the Dockside settings, and it failed the Automatic Rudder Test, because it could not steer to port. Now I am wondering if I need to get the Neco drive unit brushes looked at? In your experience could this be the culprit with these symptoms? I am getting Rudder Feedback OK from the feedback arm in the lazarette. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I have also messaged

Not sure if Tillergirl can forward me Daniel's notes too? I can't seem to email her at thames estuary address.
DF marine electronics Facbook page about it, in case the might be useful. as I understand he is very knowledgeable. Regards, Duncan
I forgot to add that the Brain is a J300X Simrad box, working with the AP22 and NECO 17DR8. thanks

tillergirl

Visit site

Right back when doing the tests I found the Drive Unit would only turn one way. Daniele's tests showed that one of the relays was 'sticking' so it would only go one way. It might be the rudder potentiometer in the Drive Unit but I think you have probably disabled that and it relies on the Simrad for that. If you pm me your email I send you Daniele's notes. Not sure why the info@ email isn't working. I check it.

Oh PS, it was quite easy to find replacement relays - I think there were about £50 a couple of years back. Easy to fit as well.

Alan Harvey

Visit site
Boat fitted with NECO 629 autopilot with rotary drive to Whitlock steering. Fitting Raymarine S3G autopilot computer, want to re-use NECO drive unit.

Anyone done this successfully and prepared to share info on modding the drive to run with the reversing voltage type controller??

I have full Installation & Operating Instructions for the NECO NM692 Mk3 system if anyone looking for same...........PM!
Hi

Alan Harvey

Visit site
Boat fitted with NECO 629 autopilot with rotary drive to Whitlock steering. Fitting Raymarine S3G autopilot computer, want to re-use NECO drive unit.

Anyone done this successfully and prepared to share info on modding the drive to run with the reversing voltage type controller??

I have full Installation & Operating Instructions for the NECO NM692 Mk3 system if anyone looking for same...........PM!

tillergirl

Visit site
I would suggest you contact Daniele. He is expert on the NECO and has advised 'mating' the drive unit to modern units. I tweaked the Neco to work with the Onwa Auto Pilot. Was very simple and is very effective.