Navionics+... Do I need the upgrade?

SteveTibbetts

Visit site
Noticed an icon on Ipad Navionics and when I pressed it was offered an upgrade to 'Navionics+' which would give me, for £38

"Navionics+ includes Map Updates for 12 months and our new SonarCharts™! SonarCharts™ is a high def bathymetry map that reveals seabed detail not available on existing cartography. It integrates your sonar logs with existing data."

Now I use the Ipad Navionics for in-the-office-while-I'm-supposed-to-be-working passage dreaming/planning and like how easy I can share a track of where I actually went. Is the SonarCharts bit any use? Worth £38?

For the record.. I also use a plotter. And paper charts in unfamiliar water. And an Etrex with waypoints on. I'll probably also get a car satnav out for when we do the Forth and Clyde

Visit site
... Now I use the Ipad Navionics for in-the-office-while-I'm-supposed-to-be-working passage dreaming/planning and like how easy I can share a track of where I actually went. ...

So what for you would need the SonarCharts?
My dreams dont't draw that deep that i would need them. And tracks are ok without SonarCharts.

Angele

Visit site
Before Christmas there were some strange drying heights showing in the Solent on the SonarCharts version of the online Navionics webapps (http://navionics.com/en/webapp), which I assume is the same source data that the Ipad version would use. Subsequently corrected, but the fact that such errors could creep into the product makes me very wary.

nickbailhache

Visit site
Before Christmas there were some strange drying heights showing in the Solent on the SonarCharts version of the online Navionics webapps (http://navionics.com/en/webapp), which I assume is the same source data that the Ipad version would use. Subsequently corrected, but the fact that such errors could creep into the product makes me very wary.

The Solent is not the only area to be affected by incorrect drying heights. All around the Channel Islands are suffering. I suspect that there are many other areas that have similar type errors. It seems to have occurred when additional contour lines were added to charts. Navionics are aware of this problem and I am waiting to hear when the problem will be rectified.
Nick