Nasa Duet installation costs

Equinox

www.ihatechavs.com
Just bought a Nasa Duet combined speed log and echo sounder. I plan on fitting the digital display unit myself but would like to have someone else to install the transducers and wire it in for me. Does anybody have a rough idea what this might cost and how long it would take?

Thanks in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

yoda

Visit site
The cost will depend on what you may already have fitted, the trype of hull you have, ease of access to where the transducers have to be fitted, complexity of the cable run. To be honest it's an easy job even if starting from scratch. Fitting the hull fittings on a glassfiber hull is a simle matter of cutting the appropriate size hole, cleaning it up with sandpater / wet and dry, applying some sealant and bolting the fitting together (one large nut). The wires just need to be threaded back to the display unit through holes large enough to take the end fittings. Start with the larger one and both will probably run along the same route provided transducers are in the same approximate area. Take a supply from a spare fused switch and find a handy negative and connect to the power supply cables on the unit as per the makers instructions. If you are near Plymouth and out of the water I'll do it for £25!

Yoda

<hr width=100% size=1>

petersto

Visit site
This was definately covered comprehensively in either PBO or ST within the last year(approx). I think it was ST. It was a step by step installation procedure. Easy!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site
Sailing Today, August 2002.
It really is easy to do. I can scan the relevant pages and send them by e-mail if interested.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A>

gjeffery

Visit site
I fitted one.

Tip - if mounting the echo sounder transducer in a tube (oil immersed), ensure that the tube is thoroughly and deeply scored around its circumference, for the entire depth of the mound of filler that is recommended to be laid up around it. A good key is essential to prevent loss of the oil.

I questioned with NASA why they recommend setting the through hull fitting for the log impeller in silicone. I would have preferred Sikaflex, which I have used on all other through hull fittings. The answer is that the silicone will not degrade the polymer of which the through hull fitting is made. I still wonder about this.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
I fitted a NASA log over the winter and the only thing I'd add to that description is make sure that your hole cutter is deeper than the thickness of the hull. I was amazed (in a good way) how thick the hull was down where you would put a transducer. So I needed to buy a thicker hole cutter, the first one from B&Q was only able to get about 1/2 way through.

Otherwise like Yoda says it really is dead easy (although I was still somewhat nervous about it when the boat was launched). But as long as you are careful and thorough it will not give any trouble ... although there is a certain psycological difficulty in attacking the bottom of your boat with a hole cutter on a Black and Decker drill.

The echo sounder can of course be mounted on the inside of the hull in oil, so thats one less hole to worry about (the less holes in boats the better I think). Its possible to make the oil bath for the echo transducer from plastic drain pipe and fittings of the correctish diameter glassed onto the inside of the hull, rather than paying the $$$ that NASA want for one. Worst that can happen if this goes wrong is that you end up with 1/2 a cup of oil in the bilge.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

dog

Visit site
So..... Im thinking of starting a new business in boat repairs/upgrades/add on etc- do you think there are many owners out there looking to get odd jobs done???

regards

Dog

<hr width=100% size=1>

poggy

Visit site
I think if you were mobile and flexible then there is a fair amount of smaller work. The problem is likely to be the drop off in demand out of season, but maybe you could diversify into winterising, heater fitting etc.

The problem with most boatyards is that the smaller jobs are just not attractive to them, so they decline to do them or they mess you around. My neighbour has been waiting for the yard to fit a new VHF aerial (just screw it in, the holders OK) for a few months. He doesn't want to go up the mast himself as he prefers to spend his time sailing, he is happy to pay somebody to do it but can't find anyone keen.

Let me know if you do set up and where your based.

Good Luck

Poggy

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Make sure you have good insurance, what you gonna do if you fit an underwater housing assy and the boat sinks when left for the first week.

Hmmmmm, I would help out, but I would never charge anyone for work like this with adequate insurance, no siree!

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/TC_minicruise_2003_01.html>Cardigan Bay Cruise</A>