NASA AIS Engine

sereda

Visit site
I am currently using one of those and it does work well, but it is only single channel receive, I am looking for dual channel receive now as part of my little project. Thanks for the reply though.

sereda

Visit site
AIS is transmitted on 2 frequencies/channels, with the commercial receivers they very quickly listen on both channels one at a time ie scan them, with the above TV or SDR dongle you can only listen to one of the channels. Not a bad thing as the dual channel ones can miss part of a message as they scan to the other channel, but listening on only one channel, it could miss a message off the other channel.

Visit site
AIS is transmitted on 2 frequencies/channels, with the commercial receivers they very quickly listen on both channels one at a time ie scan them, with the above TV or SDR dongle you can only listen to one of the channels. Not a bad thing as the dual channel ones can miss part of a message as they scan to the other channel, but listening on only one channel, it could miss a message off the other channel.

OK I think I get that.Another complicated gubbins that I go sailing to get away from :D

Life is getting so complicated it seems to me that we are slowly being backed into a corner,thanks for the explanation.:encouragement:

PeterBoater

Visit site
I have a NASA AIS Engine (receiver) that was working fine but it's since been replaced by a tranceiver. Open to offers, by PM if you prefer.

rogerthebodger

Visit site

But if you have 2 of those receivers each tuned to the different channels and the output the multiplexed to get a 2 channel continuous receiver that will not miss any transmissions unlike a duel channel alternating receiver.

sereda

Visit site
Very true and worth thinking about. The reason for wanting the Nasa AIS engine is to compare sensitivity of the receivers.
Thanks,
John