My last week at work

jamiepyoung

Visit site
Still don't quite believe it. I'm in my last week of work. The end the of a career that I've become rather disillusioned with. The beginning of an amazing adventure with my even more amazing wife.

We're very fortunate to be in a position that we're sailing off into the sunset (well, the med initially) in a few weeks to start a new life of living on a very tight budget, in very tight accommodation, with a cat, a dog and a bearded dragon.

Can't wait.... It's going to be awesome.

Last edited:

mickbond

Visit site
Its even better than you can imagine. We are in year two, France last year Holland this year, living on a tight budget and loving every minute. Keep a blog even if its just for yourselves as there is so much to remember, otherwise it will just blurr into itself. You will meet so many people from all walks of life, giving both good an bad advice, just follow your dream and be true to yourselves.

Fair winds

temptress

gbr195t.com
Still don't quite believe it. I'm in my last week of work. The end the of a career that I've become rather disillusioned with. The beginning of an amazing adventure with my even more amazing wife.

We're very fortunate to be in a position that we're sailing off into the sunset (well, the med initially) in a few weeks to start a new life of living on a very tight budget, in very tight accommodation, with a cat, a dog and a bearded dragon.

Can't wait.... It's going going to be awesome.

Enjoy we are into year 14, although back at work in for a little while - but in Singapore. Enjoy

jordanbasset

Visit site

Can't wait.... It's going going to be awesome.

I hope you enjoy it, we did, still makes me smile now thinking back as to what I did and didn't know, but we learned so much on the journey and made very good friends. By the way does your wife know you call her a bearded dragon?:D

jamiepyoung

Visit site
She's lived aboard very happily for the last 9 months - we think happier than before, as she's lower down, can see more and is more involved.

Adult bearded dragons eat mainly vegetable matter, so feeding isn't a problem. We have a hot water bottle for temperature control when on passage and obviously when in a marina the shore power will power the UV lights and the inverter when under engine. They do also have pet shops in Gibraltar, Spain etc...

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Thanks all - getting quite excited (from somebody who doesn't do excited)

I don't blame you and to add to the other advice you've been given, slow down immediately:
Of all the things you're about to discover on the learning curve of this new lifestyle, the one I found the hardest - it took me nearly three years! - was to get out of 'holiday-cruise' mode. If you're happily anchored in bay-x, you do not HAVE to be in port-y by tomorrow/the weekend/next month, it might be preferable to be there, but port-z will probably be equally enjoyable alternative and hey, what's wrong with here in port-x anyway?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I don't blame you and to add to the other advice you've been given, slow down immediately:
Of all the things you're about to discover on the learning curve of this new lifestyle, the one I found the hardest - it took me nearly three years! - was to get out of 'holiday-cruise' mode. If you're happily anchored in bay-x, you do not HAVE to be in port-y by tomorrow/the weekend/next month, it might be preferable to be there, but port-z will probably be equally enjoyable alternative and hey, what's wrong with here in port-x anyway?
+Lots!
It has amused some of our visitors no end this year: having spent time discussing where (and when) to go next, we set of..... and meet a great bit of wind that'll mean we can't go to X, so we look at one another and say "OK, Y it is then". Just now we are about to move from a great little anchorage to the town quay but not because we feel we should but because the milk has run out and SWMBO can't live without her tea.

LandM

Visit site
Fantastic and happy for you. We will follow your blog with interest for a couple of reasons - 1) we will also be leaving from Brighton (in a year to 18months) and 2) We have not one but THREE cats on our 40 footer and will be interested to know how your pets gets on with the life.
Does your cat go out here in Brighton? Ours do (our B/W one likes to sit among the bikes on the west jetty) but I've never seen your cat.

Hope you have a fantastic time!!

Wansworth

Visit site
If your coming outside so to speak stop off in the Rías here in Galicia.I my opinion theybare more enjoyable in the autumn and winter with many places to moor up once the summer has gone and the rias are at their best though out the winter..,..not too cold and the natives are friendly.And there is pleanty of fish

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Fantastic and happy for you. We will follow your blog with interest for a couple of reasons - 1) we will also be leaving from Brighton (in a year to 18months) and 2) We have not one but THREE cats on our 40 footer and will be interested to know how your pets gets on with the life.
Does your cat go out here in Brighton? Ours do (our B/W one likes to sit among the bikes on the west jetty) but I've never seen your cat.

Hope you have a fantastic time!!
Most cats settle very well on boats , we sailed with a cat and a dog for five years , sadly 18 months ago the dog pasted away , one problem you will find is if you winter over in Marina you need to try and control where the cat goes , you will find 95 percent of live abroad love cats and encourage them on board with food at times. Which make live hard for us as the last thing we want is our cat on other people boat , we all have to remember that the other 5 percent don't like cats or any other pets come to that . Dogs are more tolerated by non pet lovers , but again do remember if your dog have an accident on the pontoon clear it up there and then and throw some water over it , it keeps every one happy .
Last thing , even though we never been asked for passport in Europe make sure they have them and all there jabs , there a lot of sick cats out there .

GHA

Visit site
If your coming outside so to speak stop off in the Rías here in Galicia.I my opinion theybare more enjoyable in the autumn and winter with many places to moor up once the summer has gone and the rias are at their best though out the winter..,..not too cold and the natives are friendly.And there is pleanty of fish

Now there's a thought... I was thinking of getting down to the Algarve for winter - does it not get a bit damp up the top end over winter?