My first ever anchor thread .... I've bought a new anchor, am I going to die as a result?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
My boat currently has a 25kg Kobra on 10mm stainless chain. It held pretty well during a 3 hour baptism of fire on our first night at anchor on the new to us boat, we sat out numerous thunderstorms alone, blowing through the anchorage ... a small motor boat on a mooring sank, but we held solid while getting blown all over the place.

My only gripe is that the previous owner has drilled a hole through the shank so it can be secured in the bow roller with a pin - or perhaps it was always there, I don't know. I don't like it so I've swapped it for a 27kg Ultra Marine .... am I going to die as a result?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
My boat currently has a 25kg Kobra on 10mm stainless chain. It held pretty well during a 3 hour baptism of fire on our first night at anchor on the new to us boat, we sat out numerous thunderstorms alone, blowing through the anchorage ... a small motor boat on a mooring sank, but we held solid while getting blown all over the place.

My only gripe is that the previous owner has drilled a hole through the shank so it can be secured in the bow roller with a pin - or perhaps it was always there, I don't know. I don't like it so I've swapped it for a 27kg Ultra Marine .... am I going to die as a result?
It must have been a short night if it only lasted three hours, can you give us the date and latitude.

You should have bought a Knox as it comes with a pre-drilled hole; I find it fits really snuggly on the bow roller.

We all die one day, but don't know of any death certificates with 'swapped to a Ultra Marine anchor' on it. Although it might be a secondary factor.

Irish Rover

Visit site

I'm worried you're in GRAVE danger. I'd hate to see any misfortune befall you. Send me that Ultra and I'll fully test it to make sure it's safe. Testing might take a year or three.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
It must have been a short night if it only lasted three hours, can you give us the date and latitude.

You should have bought a Knox as it comes with a pre-drilled hole; I find it fits really snuggly on the bow roller.

We all die one day, but don't know of any death certificates with 'swapped to a Ultra Marine anchor' on it. Although it might be a secondary factor.

Here it is ... date was 01.08.2024 I think ....

1728502051629.png

GEM43

Visit site

I don’t think you’ll die but I fear for your wallet……

1728547891230.png

Bouba

Visit site

You won’t die.....but it was very brave of you🥺😳........just kidding 😜🤣😂🤪.....from my online research probably the best anchor out there. I saw a demonstration at a boat show once....they had a miniature Ultra....and a miniature Rocna in a sand box....and they asked passerbys to pull the anchors....and while it was easy to pull the Rocna....the Ultra barely budged😳. Due to the expense it’s more regarded as jewelry for superyachts

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
A new anchor....and a bow thruster....whatever next 🤷‍♂️🤔
.... new instruments/radar, a solar lithium system, and a shiny solar arch to name a few :ROFLMAO: ... a present to myself as you only live once and I get far more enjoyment spending it on my boat than on women, fast cars, and booze. :love:

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
You may want to check on length of night.

31/07/2024 - Sunset: 2030 hrs
01/08/2024 - Sunrise: 0547 hrs

or were you at anchor for just part of the night?
The track screenshot was 07:45 the following day, I was definately there overnight and even got some video of the calmer interludes ... we were nicely in the lee of the shore so the waves were fortunately minimal.

Irish Rover

Visit site
.... new instruments/radar, a solar lithium system, and a shiny solar arch to name a few :ROFLMAO: ... a present to myself as you only live once and I get far more enjoyment spending it on my boat than on women, fast cars, and booze. :love:
Be careful. The self appointed forum auditors are on the lookout for any hint of profligacy as @Bigplumbs found out when he bought a few bits from Amazon.

Bouba

Visit site
Be careful. The self appointed forum auditors are on the lookout for any hint of profligacy as @Bigplumbs found out when he bought a few bits from Amazon.
You are so right !…. I was a lurker…and when I got my new boat, I celebrated by joining this forum !…I was soon put straight as to the error of my ways by spending money on a boat 🤔😧