My 1st stinky trip v long post

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Well folks I am back from my first trip on a stinky and here is the account

Picked up the boat in Porto Portals about 1:00pm. As I was most definitely a passenger on this trip I did not speak to the agent but did go around looking for the stuff on the inventory. Inside it was all carpet and very plush, no chart table though but lots of cherry wood and v plush heads.

We headed to the fuel berth; the boat was around half full. And oh my god that gauge says 160 euros!!! The return flights only cost 40 quid.

After the shock of realising I had just spent more on fuel in one trip than about ten years of sailing. Sod it its only money

Headed out and the boat accelerated to around 27 knots. The bow came up and the wind started rushing.
I was not a happy bunny. Basically swmbo and I were holding on for grim for death. Every now and then the boat would hit a slightly bigger wave and you would lurch like a crash test dummy in your seat. I now know why all those girls on the front of these things are lying down and so slim. They must be stuck there. There is no other way you could stay on. The motorboat marketing industry must single-handedly keep the glue industry going.

And then there is the noise, dear god the noise. The closest thing I could compare the experience too is I can only imagine that hanging on to the underside of a lorry from Paris to Dunkirk must be about the same in terms of noise, wind and comfort.

My friend could see I was not happy and tried to get me to have a go. I declined, there was no way this was my idea of fun. It was reasonably flat with a beautiful force 4-5. I stared enviously as we passed various yachts tanking along under full sail. This was not at all what I had expected. You could not move about the boat without holding on with 2 hands. After about 2 hours I had enough but we still had three hours to Pollensa, intended destination. I had by this time had a brief go on the wheel. You had to stand up to see over the bow so the back ached as the waves made every effort to shorten my frame. It was better being at the wheel; you can see what is coming and have the wheel to hold onto. But any pleasure from driving was detracted from by the fact that I knew Lou was not having fun.

Then the rain hit and the light show started. So after nosing into the weather we turned around we pulled in to a nearby bay and anchored and waited to see what the weather would do.

After about an hour and having eaten something we headed out. I had decided to take the wheel again. We powered through a band of rain, the storm had headed out to sea, which was a distinct plus. The wind had not hit and the water was flat still. Another hour and a half on and it was getting lumpy.

I had really had enough and said head into Alcudia. The right choice as it turned out. My mate wanted to see some friends in Pollensa and I wanted to see Colin Scott and Englander, but Alcudia was close enough.

Alcudia marina is nice but not cheap. It is lazy lines throughout Majorca and Ibiza so mooring is literally money for old rope. You hand over 60 euros and they hand you a bit of old rope to attach to the bow. We got into the berth no trouble and found somewhere to eat as the storm started again. I stated at this point that there was no way I was going to Minorca, it was too far.

We had got it wrong again. We had set an agenda in the UK and tried to stick to it despite the fact that the weather suggested heading south where the sun was. Ho hum, well we will head back to Palma in short spurts then.

Next day we tried to nose round to Pollensa, having refuelled again. the weather drove us back, waves were just too big. The guy at the reception point did not look surprised to see us again. In fairness I was very surprised the sea was so bad, alcudia is very sheltered and we had to have a go. We eventually got a taxi into Pollensa, after various dramas with taxis.

My friend found his mates on holiday and called up Colin and he came ashore. We had an absolute scream and Englander is lovely. He wants to come my wedding and probably will.

Next day we decided to set off late and head back south. I was feeling very fragile but my cries of food poisoning were going unheeded. The boat next door had set off but come back, complaining of 3m waves. It was a about a 40ft gibsea but it was fair weather germans on it so we decided to have a go. We had to get out and head back. We set off, the weather was better than the previous day and once we were round the eastern tip the sea flattened out and the sun came out. We headed for Cala D’or. Fairline central it would appear. Had great meal there and a quiet night.

Headed out next day, destination Cala portals, about 3 hours. Arrived there about 1:30 in time for a fabulous fish lunch over looking the bay. Sun out all the time now and I was slaloming the boat around

Was more used to the boat by now and it was great to be in the sun.

After lunch back to porto portals one last trip to the fuel berth and begin the clean up.
My conclusions are as follows

1. The cost. Well this is pointless subject. They cost what they cost you have to get on with it. But if you tank it at 30 knots everywhere a tank of fuel will last about 7 hours. So you can burn some up in a week.
2. Travelling. Not fun. You cannot move around the boat at high speed. My ideal speed is around 14 knots. You do 30 miles in just over 2 hours, seems fair enough. For me I go to sea for the journey not just the destination. This boat is a luxurious taxi. The other half would definitely concur. She likes sunbathing on deck as we go along with a book in her hand.
3. Luxury. Well yes there is a bit more luxury than a big yacht but not that much more for your buck. The bed and the heads are better and the cockpit seats more comfy but for all that you really need a squadron for the floating luxury. I have yet to run out of cold beer on a yacht and a lot have ice boxes on deck. Personally give me Englander if you want luxury.
4. Nav. The boat had a plotter, which I could get to grips with. But you had to bend down to see it so it was fine at sea so long as you slowed down, but the pilot book really came in useful in the harbours.

In short these boats are brilliant for beating the raggies to anchorages. You can get up and do 30 miles no worries and be in port for lunch. Then relax for four hours and head on for another hour. They extend your cruising distances but just because you could do 150 miles in day, I would not bother, unless you were running from the weather to the sun.

I enjoyed the hops but I have to say I am a rag and stick man and this has not changed my mind. We did meet other stinky owners and they were all thoroughly lovely. Very few of the raggies waved back at us, although to be fair we were not close and were going very quickly.

Beer! Now there's a temporary solution.

tcm

Visit site
Re: What boat was this?

Sounds a poor skipper if you had a bad time due to the speed - 27 knots is quite unnecessary, and "just planing" (say 17 knots) is a fine dawdling speed for newbies imho, much easier walk around the deck or lounging up front. At twenty knots the towels begin to fly away and at 27 your eyes would stream aned there would indeed be lurching/crashing unless the sea is lakeishly flat or the boat is big, or both.

wakeup

Visit site

Would agree with TCM.

If your skipper's plan was based on getting to his destinations doing 27 knots then I would suggest he wasn't a good skipper and it wasn't a good plan.

27 knots should be reserved for flat calm days for any length of time. At that speed in the conditions you've mentioned i don't believe your skipper showed consideration for his crews safety. If you can't walk around safely and accident could develop very quickly.

yada yada..

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Hmm! No one said you had to blam about at thirty knots. You dont do 120 in you car all day, regardless of road conditions.
It's supposed to be fun!!

<font color=red> No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Haydn

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

I did have him slow down a good few times
the plan was not good. he said he had done the entire of menorca round it in a day and they were sat on the foredeck with drinks.

He is a speed freak and does drive fast.

It was not dangerous. we just had to sit tight. I would not put swbo in danger. the minute bwe started lurching i told him to slow down. if we had to move to get somthing i had us stop.

but it was not fun. Although it was not much fun at 17 knots for me to be fair. I still did not feel, even at 12knots speed, you could move around the boat. I am just raggie. For me i like taking the time and trmming the sails.

It was a Fairline Targa 37 fyi.

tcm

Visit site

A poor do.

I too am a bit raggie now and then. Not sure even at 6-7 knots in small sailboat that one would exactly wander around the deck as on a cruise boat, but trimming sails and altering course for easy happy journey is all part of being a skipper imho. Leaping off waves doesn't make for a happy trip.

With larger boats you can wander about more easily - perhaps more easily than on a sailboat. BUT, whether on a sailboat or on a raggie, if the skipper is going as fast as he can, you'd have to sit tight in both cases, or just beat him up.

If the weather was bad on one side of the island, he could and should sneaked around the other side, or packed in the idea of circumnavigate the island, or whatever.

duncan

Visit site

highlights the problems of trying to run to an inflexible plan - and in this sense sail and power come firmly together. It takes a really big boat to be able to deliver comfort regardless of seastate.
The other amazing thing is how people belive that outright speed will impress - in this case a good impression would appear to have been possible by covering good ground in reasonable comfort etc at 17 knts 'ish. You can never go back and recreate first impressions!

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

what we should have done was a short hop to a nearby sunny cala. then sat and enjoyed boat.
time at sea does not bother me. long trips that are fun i can handle. but i found the most i could handle on this brute was 2 hours 3 if it was flat calm.

i saw no point in going miles down the coast just cos you could.

what these boats do IMHO is allow you to travel yacht mileage but with a lot more lazing around in between or time for swmbo to get ready and shower etc.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: A fair assessment

I wouldn't have skiid behind the wake this threw up.

In fairness I just did not enjoy the boat that much. As i said we could have gone 17 knots ten knots whatever. It was too noisy and the sides to narrrow to allow you to move around the boat. The conditions were good for sailing and i was envious of all the rags i passed. I did wave my fist mentally at a few that had no sails up and were motoring. And no, the wind was not on their nose cos there were boats heading same way with all the rags out.

I was much more wary of the boat, i suppose cos i had never driven one before. The one thing i did notice is that the throttles are ever so light. if you knock them you can accelerate ever so quick, as i did once weighing anchor.

I think i also did not like having to climb out onto a very narrow side to reach the foredeck. like being able to step out onto a proper deck and have shrouds to grab.

the main thing was that swmbo did not enjoy it and i love her too much to want her not to be happy. sad but true.