Must keep hands warm and dry but how?

pugwash

Visit site
One of the side effects of the chemotherapy I have just started is hands very sensitive to cold. When I grabbed a bottle of milk out of the fridge yesterday my hand came out buzzing as if gripping an electric fence. This will be awkward when rubbing down the boat's hull shortly, heaving on jib sheets and anchor chains, etc. So I need a pair of gloves that not only keep the hands from contacting cold water but also insulate against wind and temp.

I posted a similar question a few months ago about good gloves to provide a grip when fingers are affected by arthritis and I had a lot of helpful replies, but this is a step in a new direction. In fact I found some good ones in B&Q, very cheap, though they are bright orange. But they are not up to this job.

I don't have much to shop around so any suggestions most welcome.

deuc02

Visit site
Not much of a suggestion but a pair of surgeon type gloves (the very thin latex ones that come in packets of however many) under whatever type of thermal gloves will keep ya mits dry.

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
Not much of a suggestion but a pair of surgeon type gloves (the very thin latex ones that come in packets of however many) under whatever type of thermal gloves will keep ya mits dry.
You really need to experiment with these before relying on 'em. I wore a pair of these a few days ago to do a job of (dry) work, and when I took 'em off an hour later, my hands were dripping wet ...

The OP might like to investigate SCUBA diver's gloves or mittens - they'll certainly keep your hands warm, but do restrict fine movement.

deuc02

Visit site
Good point. You can get breathable ones but as said probably a case of trial and error to see if they work for you. Have used Thinsulate gloves on the boat and they're pretty good and dont restrict movement. Like everything else available from Amazon.

johnalison

Visit site
I have Raynauds fairly badly and have bought myself some new sailing gloves. I ended up with some Mustos but there was quite a choice of "waterproof" gloves in the chandlery and mine were around £40, which didn't seem bad.

The gloves don't look 100% waterproof but serve my needs. If waterproofness was most important I would use either PVC types or maybe Marigolds over thin woollen ones.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Hello

Having spent far more years than I care to admit winter climbing can I recommend you visit on of the mountaineering shops around the country and have a good look at their winter climbing mitts. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes (and prices my last pair were just short of £100 with discount) and see if you can find something that suits.

Seajet

Visit site
Now this may sound 'far out' but may be worth a try; motorcyclists, especially all weather couriers use electrically heated inner gloves, under wind & waterproof 'normal' gloves.

These things shouldn't be expensive, and simply plug into a socket to the power supply, one can move around quickly if required then plug in again...

They're thin and silk like with a simple element wire running around the hand & fingers, run on 12 volts ( check that if buying, I was once given 6v ones in a 12v packet, a bit too toasty ! ).

There is a fuse / diode etc to avoid short circuiting self or boat.

In my day the make was 'glo gloves' but it would be a google job now.

2Tizwoz

Visit site
!CCwHmlwEWk~$(KGrHqIOKokE0fS6R!e2BNMLns3bu!~~_3.JPG

Several pairs of these 'buider's gloves' so you can swap them if they get wet should keep you warm

They can be put through the washing machine when they get dirty.

Vara

Visit site
This winter I've been using Aldi cycling gloves. Warm, waterproof and seem to be pretty tough.

About £8 IIRC, problem is that they are only in stock every now and then.

Better than Sealskinz, which I find a bit bulky.