Mullet ???

Firefly

Visit site
The ones you see in Marinas are Grey Mullet and are very difficult to catch with a hook as they have very soft mouths and of course most Marinas don't let you fish anyway. But would you want to?

sarabande

Visit site
just because a fish lives a visible existence in a marina does not mean that you cannot eat it.

Mullet have been a prized piscine delicacy since Roman times.

When you come to think of it, cows, sheep, chickens, humans all eat sh*t in one form or another and in turn are eaten. They transform sh*t into protein; that's how nature works.

Provided you wash the skin of mullet carefully, there's no reason why you cannot eat them.

Aunty BBC would not think of misleading us hungry sailors, would she ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/grey_mullet

davidfox

Visit site
Hiya
are the big fish normally seen around the marina Mullet, if so are they nice to eat ?
if they are i am thinking about getting a harpoon...

Someone gave me a receipe for them.

Wrap in foil, put them in a hot oven with a house brick - when the house brick is cooked throw the whole f$%*ing lot in the bin.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Someone must like them, as they came along to RHYC set up a net between the pontoons and the hard, and caught them all... >:

Nothing in the marina for the kids to get excited about now.

I'd wondered what had happened to them, no tell tale lines under the water line this year!

Mullet may well be safe to eat but my concern would be that the toxins from anti-fouling would have built up over the years. Something the Romans didn't have to worry about.

Wunja

Visit site
Someone gave me a receipe for them.

Wrap in foil, put them in a hot oven with a house brick - when the house brick is cooked throw the whole f$%*ing lot in the bin.

SWMBO thinks that is the correct recipe for most meat, except she serves it (I'm not able to determine if its the brick or meat that gets served though)

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I'm not sure about those you get in a marina, I suppose it depends how much people use the heads as to what the mullet eat.

When I was a kid we used to try to catch the massive mullet that lived around the mooring bouys of the mothball fleet up Fareham Creek. Summers lasted for ever when we were 12. A very small 'mustad' hook and light line was the only way. Usually the lip would pull off (I was told they re-grow quickly) but every now and again you could land one. Maybe it was the landing net that cought them, thinking back! I seem to recall that gutted, stuffed with herbs and wrapped in bacon, then baked, they tasted pretty good.

Though I had some baby red mullet in a restaurant in Spain and they really did taste like what they are alleged to eat!

Billy_Mizzen

Visit site
I was talking to an old Suffolk long-shore chap a few weeks ago about this very subject. He assured me that Mullet where a delicious but much maligned fish, the secret he said was, once caught to keep alive in fresh water for a couple of days to filter out the c%&p...

Rabbit

Visit site
Mullet

Hiya
are the big fish normally seen around the marina Mullet, if so are they nice to eat ?
if they are i am thinking about getting a harpoon...

Hi steve,

You may remember we ate them at Althorne.

This is the "recommended" way to cook.

Scale the fish (use dull knife or the backside of sharp knife works fine to). Gut the fish and cut the head and tail off (personal choice). If you leave them on then remove the gills. If not cooking right away then you should brine them (little kosher salt and baking powder mixed with water). This will keep them from getting mushy--put them in the refridgerator (not worth freezing).

To cook simply cut gashes along the side of the fish and season with salt, pepper, and whatever else you enjoy. Grill them, broil them, or simply wrap in tin foil. They are not my first choice of fish to eat -- actually one of my last choices but did eat them in Europe on vacation there and of course they tasted better there then when I cooked them at home (must be they are well versed in cooking them).

We enjoy them,

kind regards,

Les.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_eat_mullet_fish#ixzz1NpmKjdDa