Moving to the Hamble!

thejonesey

Visit site
Just a short one to say that we have finally decided to move to the Chandlery Barge yard. I am really looking forward to meeting up with a few of the forum as I know lots of you are based on the Hamble and around. I am also very excited about making the run from Poole this weekend - at last a trip to report on after a cold winter!!!

Here's to a warm Spring, a hot summer and lots of exploring of new anchorages!

Firefly625

Visit site
Just a short one to say that we have finally decided to move to the Chandlery Barge yard. I am really looking forward to meeting up with a few of the forum as I know lots of you are based on the Hamble and around. I am also very excited about making the run from Poole this weekend - at last a trip to report on after a cold winter!!!

Here's to a warm Spring, a hot summer and lots of exploring of new anchorages!

May I be the first to welcome you to the Hamble!!, give us a wave as you go past Mercury, we will be on board this weekend but somehow doubt we will venture out unless the forecast is wildly wrong. :D

RIN

Visit site
Welcome - We made the move from Cobb's Quay to the Hamble last year and have not regretted it. Really like dropping down to Southampton Waters to see the liners leaving on an evening. Much better than watching the Barfleur or the Coutance
SAM_0970.jpg

Visit site
Hamble is a beautiful river. I was lucky enough to spend a few years living in one of the tiny cottages whose back door opens up looking down Burselden Hard and also working on the river. The Solent has it's plus points. Newtown Creek, Cowes, Beaulieu River, Salty's at Yarmouth... But Southampton Water!!!
What a godforsaken place that is!
If on leaving the Hamble you can close your eyes, but still safely navigate as far as Calshott Spit and imagine that Fawley had never been built it would be fine.

Best of luck with the move... I moved the other way, Hamble to Poole and apart from for work I would never go back.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Welcome to the Hamble, you will pass me at cabin on your way in and out, and please pass slowly, we need all the help we can get to stay upright in the summer evenings!

thejonesey

Visit site
Made it!

Great trip to the Hamble on Saturday. Flat calm conditions and the boat ran beautifully. We were the only boat to go under the bridge and leave Poole Harbour at this time and did not see another until we reached Hurst Castle. We ran will empty water tanks and the difference in trim was obvious -trim tabs later this year I think!
Things got a little misty in the Solent but otherwise a fab day out. The final picture is tied up at the Jolly Sailor, waiting to get enough clearance under Burseldon bridge. Life does not get much better!!! If anyone was about on Sunday they may have seen me nose up to the bridge near high tide and think better of it. It probably looked and sounded dramatic but I knew exactly what I was doing... plan B was ready to be actioned... honest! Thanks to everyone who has already said hi.

Last edited:

andy59

Visit site
Looks like a lovely trip up . Whats the deal with mooring on the Jolly Sailors pontoon , did you have to buy a meal or a pint or are they just very freindly and helpfull ?.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Great trip to the Hamble on Saturday. Flat calm conditions and the boat ran beautifully. We were the only boat to go under the bridge and leave Poole Harbour at this time and did not see another until we reached Hurst Castle. We ran will empty water tanks and the difference in trim was obvious -trim tabs later this year I think!
Things got a little misty in the Solent but otherwise a fab day out. The final picture is tied up at the Jolly Sailor, waiting to get enough clearance under Burseldon bridge. Life does not get much better!!! If anyone was about on Sunday they may have seen me nose up to the bridge near high tide and think better of it. It probably looked and sounded dramatic but I knew exactly what I was doing... plan B was ready to be actioned... honest! Thanks to everyone who has already said hi.

The bridge actually looks lower than it is, I have nudged up to it many times with a view that were too early and in actual fact pass under it with 1m to spare, I can get under at HW neaps quite easy, but springs is not on, but 1 hour either side its ok, what I will say is dont try and get out from your marina with the tide ebbing ( behind you) if you go too slow it can push you sideways near the bridge, then you have to go for it, if you dont have enough clearance then its going to cost you!

Firefly625

Visit site
excellent, thanks for the photos, Oddly I did see a FB go past Mercury around 3pm Saturday and wondered if it were you??? but perhaps not. Anyway you now need to change your profile location.... not Cobbs Quay anymore!

Run up from Poole looked great, mirror calm, just as SWMBO likes it...

BTW VERY High spring tides over the weekend, highest for a few years I believe.... that water must of rushed out under the bridge.... always a bit of fun to be had with a dingy and a decent outboard in those conditions!....such a kid, sorry.

Last edited: