Moving to Power

JStordy

Visit site
The Sealine S38 had some inherent structural problems caused by thin layup in some areas, some of the affected boats were rectified at Sealine's expense by Desty. if you're looking at one make sure you have the evidence from Desty that this was done.
Thanks Scala - ill make sure i check if I can find one ! Are you in Swanwick Marina? Thinking of basing the boat there - used to sail from there long time ago!

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Yes am in Swanwick. Moved last year and with our previous boat; was at Chichester before. When we bought the new boat Mrs Scala wanted to stay on the Hamble and we prefer Swanwick to Pt Hamble which would be choice 2 (no rational reason). I've been treated well by Premier. If you PM me your details I'll refer you in and we can share a small finders' fee!

Last edited:

JStordy

Visit site
Yes am in Swanwick. Moved last year and with our previous boat; was at Chichester before. When we bought the new boat Mrs Scala wanted to stay on the Hamble and we prefer Swanwick to Pt Ha,ble which would be choice 2 (no rational reason). I've been treated well by Premier. If you PM me your details I'll refer you in and we can share a small finders' fee!
will do once i find a boat!

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
For the UK I'd get an enclosed saloon, something with sliding doors. It means you can use it all year round even if you just use it as a seaside cottage and don't go anywhere! My boat in the med has this set-up and I'm glad I chose it. Open boats sound great and I've had them but it cuts down their use a lot.

Kawasaki

Visit site
Whatever you pick JS
Make sure you have nice safe side decks to negotiate moving forward
With decent handrails
Minimum amount of canvas to mess with
Shafts not outdrives
Just My humble opinion

JStordy

Visit site
Whatever you pick JS
Make sure you have nice safe side decks to negotiate moving forward
With decent handrails
Minimum amount of canvas to mess with
Shafts not outdrives
Just My humble opinion
Thanks for the input - problem i seem tobe having is finding a 38 footer i like that has shafts!! Are the outdrives really that bad or do you just need to keep them serviced?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
For the UK I'd get an enclosed saloon, something with sliding doors. It means you can use it all year round even if you just use it as a seaside cottage and don't go anywhere! My boat in the med has this set-up and I'm glad I chose it. Open boats sound great and I've had them but it cuts down their use a lot.
I agree with this although it limits the choice especially at that combo of size and budget, without a flybridge. Kawasaki's point about keeping canvas to a minimum also true here.

[2068]

Visit site
The Sealine S38 had some inherent structural problems caused by thin layup in some areas, some of the affected boats were rectified at Sealine's expense by Desty. if you're looking at one make sure you have the evidence from Desty that this was done.

S38's have almost all had the re-enforcement work done by now, but yes, it's definitely worth double-checking.
It's something like £30k if not done.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
they must be better than a sail drive!!!!!
Um, sadly not... Much more complex with steering and trim. Joystick boats doubly so. You may well have two. They’re transmitting much more power. Engine exhaust goes through them. Can’t check the oil without a lift.

My new boat has them but I would have preferred shafts. It’s all a compromise....!

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
63p is a super well respected engine......should be able to get Volvopaul to give it the seal of approval too....he’s only a stones throw away ?

Last edited:

JStordy

Visit site
Well guys - what do you think - an 2004 S38 or 1998 Princess V40 ?? Pro's and Con's?

Beers on the boat for you all when I get one!!

superheat6k

Visit site
I went to the dark side in 2007, with my first Mobo a single engined Dutch Barge. Lovely boat but after a couple of breakdowns I decided I wanted two shafts, so sold this and found a Fairline Turbo 36, but this had very high side decks, and the outside space wasn't very usable, although the interior was excellent.

We sold this for my Corvette, and I am not in any rush to change it, as I can't yet run to the Nordhavn that would replace it.

When coming form sailing remember you are very used to going most places at ~ 5 knots, and less if going to windward, so even a modest boat will give you ~ 8-10 knots with decent economy. Semi displacement boats offer a turn of moderate speed when needed, but are confortable at slower cruising speeds. You can also get usable deck space, which many many modern high bow boats simply do not encourage.

Any boat I have will only be on shafts, and will have an aft cabin - once you have had one you will understand why.

So don't discount: Broom; Hardy; Aquastar; Corvette; Linsen, etc

JStordy

Visit site
Is a shaft driven V40 on Tam63p's worth 20K more than one on KAD 42'd or 30K more than KAD 43's all roughly the same year????????