Moving to a mooring from a marina

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Tammany, I'm with you about rowing out to my mooring. I've watched many sailors faff about with outboard to travel ridiculously short distances. I prefer to row, its quieter, greener and keeps you fit.
To the OP, enjoy your mooring - I love it on mine, being in a marina is convenient but a lot like living on a housing estate.

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
Well, thank you everyone for your ideas. I have a decent ie rowable rub-a-dub and plan to take it home with me when not on board, I'm used to doing this. Morrisons, here I come.... I understand the strop (?) is attached to the buoy and will make arrangements to secure it. I have a central cleat at the bow but....it's a piece of hardwood in 2 brackets secured to the deck and I'd like to replace it with a bit of aly or stainless bar, it's about an inch or so thick and about a foot long, so any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again to all who've replied.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
I much prefer to row, and for my Thompson on Windemere, I do have a bit of a trek from the slipway at the ferry nab across the sawrey ferry lane, around chicken rock and into the bottom of sourpool wyke. It's good exercise too (I'll see if I can find a pic.
I drop the hood on my Alfa spider, and have a luggage rack on the back, I then rest the rear of the tender on the rack and the front rests on the front windscreen frame, tie it down and have a convertible with a boat as the roof.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Well, thank you everyone for your ideas. I have a decent ie rowable rub-a-dub and plan to take it home with me when not on board, I'm used to doing this. Morrisons, here I come.... I understand the strop (?) is attached to the buoy and will make arrangements to secure it. I have a central cleat at the bow but....it's a piece of hardwood in 2 brackets secured to the deck and I'd like to replace it with a bit of aly or stainless bar, it's about an inch or so thick and about a foot long, so any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again to all who've replied.

This is the bollard on my foredeck. The loop in the mooring chain drops over it. The lighter anchor chain drops into the slot ( and a couple of turns below the horns make it secure ). The rounded rear corners make it kind to a loop in a rope.

DSCF1637.jpg

Roger52

Visit site
Have you thought about contacting Northney Marina to see how much they would charge to keep a tender there in the water. Close to your mooring and no launching etc just load up and go. You can even leave the outboard on the back. If they agree you would be able to park as well which would cover some of the cost of parking in a public carpark.
Most marinas have spaces that are inaccessible to anything other than a small rib/dinghy.

doug748

Visit site
As per the title, from April 1st I will be on a mooring in Sweare's Deep in Chichester harbour. I've always been in a marina mooring apart from a couple of days in Newtown Creek on the hook. So I thought I'd better find out what equipment I'm going to need to securely achieve this. This mooring as far as I can tell won't be exposed to much in the way of waves unless there is an easterly blow but will be exposed to wind, so any tips most welcome, to whit what to tie her up with and where to tie etc. The vessel in question is an LM 24 long keel, cut away forefoot (I think that's what you call it) with a draught of 1 metre. I don't know her displacement. Thanks in advance.

Ian.

A windgen. If still available this could be a grand buy:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?471912-Aerogen-4

FairweatherDave

Visit site
We're on a mooring in Chichester that dries at low water springs and is a mile from the shore.. But even if you are on a deep water mooring half the fun is accessing your mooring according to the state of tide where you are launching from. I enjoy cutting it fine and quite often drag my grp tender the last 100 meters, feeling for the solid gravel bed and not the mud with my feet, having dropped off the family at the pontoon on the Emsworth sea wall. The whole thing is a game of to-ing and fro-ing for a day sail and maximising time on the water. Sometimes we use sit on kayaks and sometimes an Avon dinghy, sometimes outboard, sometimes not. The point I am making is it really is so different to accessing the boat from a Marina and has upsides and downsides. Really glad we use the solid tender now and leave it on the chains at Emsworth. Just turning up with a pair of oars is great.

Last edited:

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I have a central cleat at the bow but....it's a piece of hardwood in 2 brackets secured to the deck and I'd like to replace it with a bit of aly or stainless bar, it's about an inch or so thick and about a foot long, so any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again to all who've replied.

I'd second Vics suggestion of a bollard or Samson post. Much easier to use for both rope and chain and less liable to lock up. I like Vics chain slot but prefer a more rope friendly tubular post.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
This is the bollard on my foredeck. The loop in the mooring chain drops over it. The lighter anchor chain drops into the slot ( and a couple of turns below the horns make it secure ). The rounded rear corners make it kind to a loop in a rope.

DSCF1637.jpg

That is very clever - does that type of bollard have a specific name so I can go searching?

Visit site
I think you're going to be on a buoy? Consider whether the wind/tide combinations could cause the boat to rub/ride over it - I've seen people attaching split-fienders to the line between the buoy and boat, and/or a bow-skirt to protect the hull.

+1 for solar panel - not having to worry about the battery draining slowly, or leaving it low after being on the boat, is a godsend.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
If you're on a mooring, you need the means to top up your battery without starting the engine. I've always used solar (no maintenance and quite but no charge at night). First time on Leisure 17 with no engine and very basic electrics 10w panel never needed additional charge during the summer.
I think you're going to be on a buoy? Consider whether the wind/tide combinations could cause the boat to rub/ride over it - I've seen people attaching split-fienders to the line between the buoy and boat, and/or a bow-skirt to protect the hull.

+1 for solar panel - not having to worry about the battery draining slowly, or leaving it low after being on the boat, is a godsend.

langstonelayabout

Visit site

Although not knowing for sure, my boat lived on a Sweare Deep mooring under her previous ownership. One of the first things I did was to dispose of the fairly battered split bow gender that came along with the boat.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Although not knowing for sure, my boat lived on a Sweare Deep mooring under her previous ownership. One of the first things I did was to dispose of the fairly battered split bow gender that came along with the boat.

Ah, but did you regret it the moment you did? :D

I'm in the pool by the bridge and we have some weird wind and tide stuff going on in there so I soon bought a bow fender to stop the pick up chain from rubbing on the side/nose.. can't speak for Sweare Deep though.....

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
Hi folks, sorry for the delay getting back, had a lot of other stuff going on and had forgotten I'd posted (shameful smiley). The bow roller has a bit in it which I think would hold a chain quite well and the cleat I have would just be used to hold the loose end, so I may be OK. Going down the solar route re charging the batts and may well get something big enough to provide a little extra in daylight hours. Just saving up for the yearly mooring cost and some other bits. Thanks all.