Moving to a mooring from a marina

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
As per the title, from April 1st I will be on a mooring in Sweare's Deep in Chichester harbour. I've always been in a marina mooring apart from a couple of days in Newtown Creek on the hook. So I thought I'd better find out what equipment I'm going to need to securely achieve this. This mooring as far as I can tell won't be exposed to much in the way of waves unless there is an easterly blow but will be exposed to wind, so any tips most welcome, to whit what to tie her up with and where to tie etc. The vessel in question is an LM 24 long keel, cut away forefoot (I think that's what you call it) with a draught of 1 metre. I don't know her displacement. Thanks in advance.

Ian.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
My mooring contractor on Ullswater (which can get some really heavy funnel blows, and it's not uncommon for poorly secured boats, to go walkies into the shallows and beaches) always reccomends a good strong rope strop & a chain.

wizard

Visit site
I would ask whoever your getting the mooring from what is currently the setup then we can advise you better.

VicS

Visit site
As per the title, from April 1st I will be on a mooring in Sweare's Deep in Chichester harbour. I've always been in a marina mooring apart from a couple of days in Newtown Creek on the hook. So I thought I'd better find out what equipment I'm going to need to securely achieve this. This mooring as far as I can tell won't be exposed to much in the way of waves unless there is an easterly blow but will be exposed to wind, so any tips most welcome, to whit what to tie her up with and where to tie etc. The vessel in question is an LM 24 long keel, cut away forefoot (I think that's what you call it) with a draught of 1 metre. I don't know her displacement. Thanks in advance.

Ian.

If its a Harbour Conservancy mooring there will be a chain on the top of the buoy with a loop formed in it which will drop over your foredeck cleat/ bollard or what ever.

There will be a small pickup buoy for the chain.

If you normally keep your anchor on the roller you will have to relocate it unless you have a double roller, in which case it may be possible to leave it on its roller while using the other for the mooring chain.

If its a boat yard, club or private mooring ask the mooring owner what is provided. Id expect something very similar to the above.

In an exposed position I would put a lashing around the chain and the bow roller unless you have a stout retaining pin that will prevent the chain jumping off the roller. You may also like to put a lashing around the chain loop so that it cannot come off the cleat . ( we always did both on a 31 ft Westerly at Dell Quay)

Some useful info on the Harbour conservancy website at http://www.conservancy.co.uk/assets/assets/mooring leaflet_2011.pdf

Purely for interest see also http://www.conservancy.co.uk/assets/assets/guide to layings a drying mooring 2013.pdf

Last edited:

yoda

Visit site
I like a good strong rope strop and a back up chain kept without the weight on it in case the rope should part. Make sure the rope is well protected where it goes over the bow, ols hose from the fire brigade is good but a rag wrapped round it does the job just as well. Invest some of the savings in a really good tender and outboard, I like to leave my dinghy on the mooring (not the engine) to avoid the hassle of moving it on and off the boat. Good waterproof bags for your kit are also a wise investment as is a fender step or similar to make moving between tender and yacht easier.

Yoda

johnalison

Visit site
You'll need either a very good memory or a notebook. YM once published a checklist for leaving a boat which ran to 12 items. My own list at the time, on a fairly simple boat came to 36. It's easy enough to pop back to the boat from the marina car park, but a slog back out the the mooring is a different matter.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
+1 for the check list. Mine is a on leaving boat list. As well as putting the boat away it Includes checking off that I have driving glasses, car keys mobile phone.

+1 tie mooring chain down to the bow roller and tie down chain loop onto cleat so it does not hop off. To spread load and add some give to the mooring tie a rope from the chain across the deck to the deck cleat on the other side.

+1 a little trickle charge solar panel on the cockpit floor, that is put away in a locker when not in use. Directly connected to the battery via its own fuse.

Bird watching binoculars and plenty of ebooks on a tablet for times when relaxing on the mooring.

Arrange for plenty of ventilation through the yacht, because no power for heaters and dehumidifiers. I had to put a larger vent in the washboard, extra vent in fwd cabin and aft cabin.

Have a short lines to tie 1) around any rolled up Genoa as a safety to stop it unrolling.2) the tiller central so as to reduce bearing wear. 3) the boom central to avoid goose neck and main sheet shackle wear.

Kelpie

Visit site
By a box of those little single serve milk portions that you get in hotel rooms. Cannae stand getting out to the boat and not being able to have a cuppa!

langstonelayabout

Visit site
At Sweare Deep it'll be OK except when you get more than a force 5 from the East, then it gets lumpy.

But to put it into perspective, I'd leave my boat there too. But if you are on the Sweare Deep end of the trot (as opposed to the Emsworth end) please sort yourself a decent tender, reliable outboard and a place to keep the tender. It is a bit of a trek from the millpond.

ashtead

Visit site
Assuming the boat stays attached to mooring biggest risks seem to be the mooring dragging ashore and the sails flogging to shreds apart from theft of course. Main concern might be to verify that the mooring is going to stay put in a storm and not be dragged through the mud - I don't know what reassurance there is on this though but do recall a number of moorings in Chichester did seem to be mobile in storms . I am sure many stay put but it does seem a risk to consider?

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Assuming the boat stays attached to mooring biggest risks seem to be the mooring dragging ashore and the sails flogging to shreds apart from theft of course. Main concern might be to verify that the mooring is going to stay put in a storm and not be dragged through the mud - I don't know what reassurance there is on this though but do recall a number of moorings in Chichester did seem to be mobile in storms . I am sure many stay put but it does seem a risk to consider?

.. don't forget boat loads of gun toting immigrants, imminent nuclear holocaust, outbreaks of cholera, botulism, flesh eating fasciitis and the Royal Oak running out of beer.... :rolleyes:

I've seen boats go loose as a result of mooring lines breaking, I've seen boats go loose as a result of ground tackle failure on private moorings, but the conservancy moorings are pretty well maintained I'd say... mine is at the far end by the bridge (LSC moorings) and I'd say an easterly is the worst especially if it's got strength in it.... I use chain to moor mine purely I'd don't have enough cleats to also add a mooring strop... touch wood I've not heard of any thefts for a couple of years....

nikc

Visit site
As per the title, from April 1st I will be on a mooring in Sweare's Deep in Chichester harbour...

Ian.

a bucket on a rope and an all wooden brush to clean the decks when you arrive.
A line loosely hanging above the boom should keep the sail/cover clean enough,

...talking about our little featherd friends that look after our vessels when we are away! :(

generally worse later in the year IME

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Once you're happy that tidal waves, hurricanes, avian flu carrying seagulls, gangs of thieving Cornishmen aren't going to wreck your boat, you need to turn to the issue of getting to and from your boat.

You've got to find something that is convenient and safe. Getting your transition from arriving in the car to being ensconced on the boat as easy as possible will make being on a mooring a breeze.

I saw someone who had a dedicated old LWB Transit van as his boat vehicle. He had a little electric windlass on the bulkhead behind the driver and a roller on the rear door threshold. There was also a full width shelf above the dinghy storage area in the back for all the other clutter. He just arrived at the launching hard, ejected the dinghy, loaded his stuff, parked the van in the carpark where he only had to pay for one space (no trailer), and rowed out to his boat.

On his return he simply hauled the dinghy into the back of the van and off he went home where the van also acted as the storage shed for most of his boating stuff.

Tammany

Visit site
I'm on a fore aft half tide and secured by nylon rope. Never had an issue although obviously it doesn't move much as no swinging around. My dinghy is on the roof of the car. I don't use the tenders engine as it's a very short row to my mooring.

16602793_10207967070126483_1677375912688064198_n.jpg

16508978_10207967073686572_7128166701537260753_n.jpg

16463288_10207920122872831_3143785104376255962_o.jpg

Tammany

Visit site
This is my rowing distance, as you can see very short. I asked for a mooring as close to this landing point as possible.

16700625_10207967087086907_4376502928702217247_o.jpg