Moving from sail to motor

Leighb

Visit site
Hi, I am new to this forum but have been active on the yachting ones for a number of years, having reached a certain degree of reduced phsyical ability we have decide that we need to sell our sailing boat - Halmatic 30 - and purchase a motor boat and continue to enjoy boating and coastal cruising with less physical exertion needed.

We are looking for a seaworthy boat of about 25 to 32 feet with a budget of max £45k. I expect we might have to buy an older boat but then our present one was built in 1980. We would need 4 berths and the usual cruising facilities.

I like the looks of the Hardy 27 or the Nelson style for example rather than the more modern looking designs, but then perhaps am ruling out many very suitable boats.

I would appreciate ideas for makes/models that might be worth considering.

Wavey

Visit site
If you decide on a steel boat just beware of the dreaded rust. Not the rust that is obvious but the rust that isn't.

The biggest issue with older steel hulls is they can rust from the inside out as a result of water lying in the bilges in areas not always readily accessible. A hull thickness test as part of the survey will give you peace of mind there are no hidden horrors.

Fishtigua

Visit site
Hi, I am new to this forum.

We are looking for a seaworthy boat of about 25 to 32 feet with a budget of max £45k. I expect we might have to buy an older boat but then our present one was built in 1980. We would need 4 berths and the usual cruising facilities.

I like the looks of the Hardy 27 or the Nelson style for example rather than the more modern looking designs, but then perhaps am ruling out many very suitable boats.

I would appreciate ideas for makes/models that might be worth considering.

Channel Island 32.
Aquastar 33/38.
Aquabell.
Dale.
Seaward.
Mitchell/Cygnus.
And err...Halmatic.

Chuncky seaboats are what the Brits do best.

Leighb

Visit site
Thanks for the various very helpful suggestions, there are certainly a lot of makes that I was unfamiliar with, so can widen my areas of search. No doubt I will find something we both like.

Leighb

Visit site
Have a look at the Hardy Seawings. Excellent boats.

I have looked at some on the web, as far as I can see they all have outdrives, is this the case? A motor boat friend has advised me to avoid outdrives like the plague. :D Is he right?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I have looked at some on the web, as far as I can see they all have outdrives, is this the case? A motor boat friend has advised me to avoid outdrives like the plague. :D Is he right?

I personally would agree with him, but I know some people who have them, and as long as they are serviced properly each year, do not cause any problems. But servicing isn't cheap (or easy) compared to shafts............

Whitelighter

Visit site
Just to follow up, if it were my £45k id be seriously tempted by this:

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1996/Nimbus-31-Coupe-2982552/United-Kingdom#.V6CKHnqvO4k Better pictures in this ad, though the price is £3k higher http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1996/Nimbus-31-Coupe-2955513/United-Kingdom#.V6CKSXqvO4k

5775296_20160413091513001_1_XLARGE.jpg

A more recent boat than your current yacht, but with a nice real wood interior you would (i think) appreciate, semi-d hull and from a very well respected manufacturer (meaning if you decide that motorboating isnt for you then it should be fairly simnple to sell on).

Single shaft engine keeps running costs down and while she wont break any speed records she'll get you there at least 3 times quicker than under sail in most conditions.

Attachments

• 5775296_20160413091513001_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5775296_20160413091513001_1_XLARGE.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Nimbus do offer a well thought out interior with quite a few useful extras. I'd also be seriously tempted by this if I were in the market. Should be able to negotiate so that its in budget.

Stats007

Visit site
I'd decide whether you want displacement, semi-displacement or a planing hull first and then have a look.

If you can find one any of these would be a good buy:

Aquador 26HT
ACM Heritage or Elite
Back Cove 26
Nimbus 310

Leighb

Visit site
Does look very nice but a long way from Suffolk! There are a couple of 3003's at Titchmarsh that I am keen to have a look at, they look very similar in layout one is very scruffy looking though.

Re the photos in the 2nd ad, yes they are much clearer but most of them are on their side and difficult to view!!

Thanks again to all for their helpful suggestions.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Does look very nice but a long way from Suffolk! There are a couple of 3003's at Titchmarsh that I am keen to have a look at, they look very similar in layout one is very scruffy looking though.

Re the photos in the 2nd ad, yes they are much clearer but most of them are on their side and difficult to view!!

Thanks again to all for their helpful suggestions.

The med is a long way from Suffolk. That's £1000 on a truck if you buy and a day to view. If you are going to limit yourself to boats in Suffolk good luck.