Moving aboard?

G

Sorry if this has been all gone through before, but I was wondering?

I have a Westerly Nomad (38 years young), and I have been contemplating for some time whether or not to cut me ties and move aboard? I realise I would have to downsize on possessions and the like, but my tools would all have to come aboard with me. (I am a Chippy) and I would not want to part with those.

The question really is................is my Nomad too small for living aboard (22ft) and should I maybe sell her and look for something bigger? Trouble is, she is all kitted out for extended single handed cruising, and is in really good condition, it would be hard to part with her.

Best, Charlie.

summerwind

Visit site
Having lived aboard for a few years now I can tell you that the gilt has worn off and the stars are gone from my eyes.

I have a 40 footer and I can tell you in all honesty that space is at a premium. I feel that 22ft is far too small and that you would go stir crazy in a very short space of time.

prescott56

Visit site
moved aboard a Moody 36 (1980) and its just, only just big enough. have an 8m eventide nad spent every other weekend and long long holidays on there and after 2 weeks it became hard work.
IMHO 22ft = no chance, would put you off for life.

Regards

G

Interesting responses, perhaps I didn't explain myself to well.

I am thinking that I will cut loose from the UK altogether, I am not thinking of living aboard like in a houseboat. I don't need or want all the trappings of suburban existance.

I need my tools with me, so I can earn a crust wherever I might pitch up, it seems to me that there is always work for a chippy, especially if he is comfortable working with boats?

I hear what you are saying, but bear in mind that a Nomad is probably the biggest 22 footer you can get, at least in terms of internal space. I have no wife nor rug rats to worry about, just me. I just need food in me belly, a bit of rum and baccy, and a few quid in me pocket.

Plenty of folk have lived aboard and sailed the oceans in 22 footers, I think you just have to recognise their limitations and be happy with it?

I am heartily sick of rip off Britain and the way things have degenerated into a materialistic me first, and screw you, society.

So at the tender age of 58, I am giving serious consideration to banging out!

You see, I was brought up in a time when things were very much different, (late forties, and the fifties). Please and thank you, or excuse me were normal, drivers even used to let you out of side roads in front of them! yeah, I know, a lot of you wont have a clue what I am on about and probably think that Victor meldrew is alive and well and living in Bideford!

Well, that may be so, but it don't mean I am wrong does it?

Ok rant over.

Charlie.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
You see, I was brought up in a time when things were very much different, (late forties, and the fifties). Please and thank you, or excuse me were normal, drivers even used to let you out of side roads in front of them!

[/ QUOTE ]Please be assured that we haven't all forgotten those basic courtesies, or forgotten to teach our children them either....

Regardless, sounds like quite an adventure you are planning!

G

Re manners / courtesy? no I know all haven't forgotten /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif but enough have to make life just a bit to uncomfortable.

An adventure? maybe, but could just be the onset of senile dementia!

Got a bit of a refit to complete before I make a decision, but, the more I muse on it the more attractive it becomes.

MatthewCoyne

Visit site
Hi Charlie,
Sounds like the start of a great adventure. I lived in Braunton for 7 years and moved back to the south east to work, I am a marine engineer, and have lived on a 50ft narrowboat for the last 7 years.
I travel to Braunton to see my folks in law once a month and have noticed the influx of liveaboard boats / yachts in the taw/torridge estuary. What are your views on this, as there seems to be a real stigma still attached to these guys who have moved in. 10 years ago the estuary was pretty empty !
Anyhow, back to your original question. I think 22 ft would be cramped, but shall we say homely,. it' s what u make it..
Good luck, and if you would like any advise on the engineering side of boats, gimme a pm.
Regards,
Matt.

Oliveoyl

www.yotblog.com
On the basis that the more space you have, the quicker you fill it with things you don't like / need / cost too much anyway, i think you may have a point. If you really are adapted / adaptable to a Spartan way of life, why not spend this winter in a garden shed, before taking the big leap?

G

Cos me boat is a bloody site more commodious than a garden shed! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

G

Hi Matt,

I don't think the stigma is attached to the people who live on their boa......................er, well some of 'em are I suppose. No I think what people around here object to is the mess they seem to accumalate around them. here in Bideford, on the east side of the river it looks like Steptoes Yard! Which is a shame, because they are right next to the berth of the Cathline & May. Trouble is that it all looks like a bit of a shanty town.

It's has always been a bit of a bone of contention here in Bideford, ever since poor old John Vickary lived on his ex Devon Sand Barges, one of which is still lying in the mud here.

There are moves afoot to get it all cleaned up, but don't know if or when it will happen?

If I move aboard my boat, I wont be staying here, so I wont be a problem for anybody, and when I pitch up somewhere, it wont be for all that long, and I will make sure that nobody has reason to moan about me or my boat.

Charlie.

MatthewCoyne

Visit site
Hi again,
You are right in your views. The guys down your way who liveaboard do make a right bloody mess. I have always tried to lead a low impact lifestyle, in all ways, and I resent some peoples views towards them, however they do make a rod for their own back.
I am sure you will enjoy every minute of your liveaboard life, I know I do, and I would sincerely love to pack my job in now, even though I love it, and to work and travel around europe. Dont think the wife would let me somehow ! Sounds to me like you have your head screwed on by taking a leap in to the unknown. All I wish you is good luck and like I say, home is what u make it. I also have a 26ft quarter tonner down in Fareham. Small , but perfectly formed and I dont notice the lack of space because it is everything I always wanted, I love the boat.
Anyhow, good luck.
Matt

ostra4

Visit site
Hi Smiffy
I have med based boat which is looked after by ex-pat who has lived aboard his SCOD for nearly twenty years .By coincidence he is a chippy and never short of work . It appears to me that if your thinking of living aboard a smaller boat than its a lot more do-able in a warmer climate as you are not confined to doing everything indoors so to speak .My friend
appears very happy with his living conditions although he does have access to a fridge ashore .He also does not need to keep his tools aboard as he now has shore-based workshop , i would imagine he would struggle with fitting all tools on board .He does however find things grim in extended wet periods that prevail in Greek winters although he lives ashore aboard his boat in most winters .
good luck .
andrew

prescott56

Visit site
Yes i agree with what has been said, including the UK, hence my move. seems prelavent to al i speak to on the water, including, dutch, german and danish!!!
Life is a lot easier in warmer waters but still believe a 22 ft'er is to small for permanent living. i used to ave a westerly 22, which was the previous model and kno wthey are volumous.

Anyways, give it a go, you will get loads of work as a chippy, boats and building (rates have dropped in building, thanks to our east european friends), butgood rates still to be had.

Do it and if you need a bigger boat after a while thier is plenty around.

Good Luck
regards

sharpy

N/A
Visit site
for those of you wanting to travel abroad but find they cant because of work i have solution but its not for everyone, i have been working in the offshore oil and gas industry for some time now and find its ideal, you can either work 2weeks on two weeks off or 2on 3off or go ad hoc and do 2 3 or 4week trips and have as much time off as you like ie totally flexable working and go sailing when you like the time offshore can be a pain but its well worth it when u get off and u have all the time in the world to do as you like the moneys not to bad either and when it runs out just pick up the phone and off you go again

roly_voya

Visit site
Living space is like shoe size - everyone needs something different and 22ft certainly wont be a record (19ft is the smallest i have come accross). Storage is the issue and that depends on your tools, I would never get the bandsaw on a 22ft but a traditional canvas chippies bag would be no problem. Main thing is to have somewhare dry and secure to put them so they dont go rusty when sailing. (DW40 works quite well.

What would worry me about the boat is its sailing performance, your going to be looking at passage times around 4kn and she is going to feel the weather in anything over a F4. Remember living aboard you are going to be there in winter as well. I would have concerns about how much this will limit where you can go and when. For example if you want to get to warmer climes how are you going to cross Biscay, will you be restricted to the canal rout and do you mind that? It takes a very long time to get anywhere if you do it all in day sailing hops because of the time to get in and out of habour plus you lose the night so I would want to be happy that the boat can put to sea for at least 3-4 days and be happy 50-100miles offshore even for a boat for europea waters.

Finally if you start off on a 22ft and have to move up to; oooh 28ft it will feel palacial. Small boats teach you how to live simply (or simply live)

Don't know your boat so can't tell but some stuff to think on.

DO IT & HAVE FUN, you can always come back if you get fed up

Abaker

Visit site
If you want advice from someone who has lived aboard a small yacht and earned his way as a chippy, look at books by Lyn and Larry Pardey and at their website: www.landlpardey.com He built 24-foot 7-inch Seraffyn, mahogany on oak with teak deck, lived aboard with his wife and all his tools, circumnavigated over 11 years. Then they decided it was too small, built 29-foot 6-inch Taleisin, and circumnavigated again, westabout this time, via Cape Horn. Neither boat has an engine, which leaves room for more tools etc. They did borrow an outboard to get Seraffyn through the Panama Canal.

Appleyard

Visit site
You are 58? do it now...'cos when you are 68 do you want to look back and say"I wish I had"? And if the boat proves too small,then trade up,there are plenty of boats going cheap as the owners need to do work on them but haven't the skill which you seem to have. Go for it!!

wagenaar

Visit site
Basically I'd say: DO IT!!! However, I feel that for living on board continually, the ship should fulfill some requirements. I lived for months at the time on board a 34-footer and feel that the following reuirements are essential:
1. In at least some part of the cabin there should be standing headroom.
2. Even in warmer climats it can get cold and therefore there should be heating on board.
3. The ship should be well insulated to prevent the forming of condens. (It would be the p.st for your tools!)
4. In many parts of europe a holding tank for grey and/or black waste-water is required, which restricts the interior volume of your boat.
5. In the Med mooring in harbours is bow- or stern-to. This often requires a gangway to go on and from board. An other restriction with space, this time on deck.
These are the requirements that come to mind in the first instant, but which I feel are essential for comfortable living aboard. Others may come up with more requirements. If your present ship does not fulfill these then get yourself one , which does. But do it fast, you only live once

G

Items 1,2,3 sorted.........4 summat to think about, 5 Gangplank could easily be lashed to guard rails so taking up no space on deck. (The Nomad is flush decked)

The Westerly Nomad has standing headroom in all of the saloon, ya gotta bend a bit in the fore cabin :)

Re. holding tank, how does one set up a holding tank for a bucket? seriously though, my Nomad has a sea toilet that I was thinking of slinging over the side (just to get rid of two of the holes in the hull) and replacing with a poncy stainless bucket, that I planned on fitting like a bog between the forward V berths. I thought I could use the space vacated by the bog to creat a dry locker for tools and such. I should add that the sea toilet has it's own compartment with a solid door to it.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to share their thoughts with me, you have all given me food for thought.

It may well be that in time I will find my boat a bit on the small side, and if that proves to be the case then I will probably think about going up in size, but for now, I will stick with her. She does have as much internal space as many 26 / 28 footers I have seen, and although she is a touch on the slow side, I constantly forgive her that when at sea, because she is such a fine seaboat.

Cheers all, Charlie.