Mounted Open CPN Plotter Replacement

siwhi

Visit site
I currently run Open CPN with visit my harbour charts on a Windows 10 PC which sits on the chart table. Works well, and I plug in the AIS to that, also works pretty well (though not always completely stable). However I would prefer not to have a PC sliding around and taking up table space. I also have a 26 x 14.5cm hole in the cabinetry where an old, now dead, autohelm navcentre once lived. Current instruments link into a temperamental raymarine C80 which is above the companionway (visible from the helm).

What I think I would like is a windows 10 Open CPN tablet plugged into the AIS in the empty screen space which can wifi / Bluetooth data to a tablet or ipad in the cockpit. This would clear the chart table of clutter. Is this possible? How would I mount it so it's sitting snug like a chartplotter? Can I get it to reliably stream data to the cockpit tablet? Should I just get a plotter instead? I like having admiralty raster charts and like Open CPN. I also like that I could do other stuff with a mounted PC type screen (plug music into the radio system / films, etc). Any suggestions that don't break the bank. Thanks.

lpdsn

Visit site
I've an 8" Windows 10 tablet running OpenCPN mounted in a teak holder at the chart table. Works OK, albeit 8" is too small really and I can't see that much detail from the wheel. My plan is to get a 12" tablet to replace it - the teak holder can be re-arranged to allow it to fit.

One of these. https://www.svb24.com/en/arc-teak-holder-for-various-tablets.html It was a bit expensive and I'm sure there's something cheaper out there, but it does do the job.

I have WiFi but I have pretty much stopped using the tablet in the cockpit as it is hard to read in sunlight.

fishermantwo

Visit site
I use a laptop with Seaclear. It's an older Toshiba with the battery removed and it sits in a wooden frame. There is a wooden piece the same size as the battery that locates the laptop and it's also held in place with SS screws. I use a Logitec trackball mouse that's screwed down on a pad so that water from wet gloves drain away.
Picture is before the mouse stand was installed.

Attachments

• 100_1212.jpg
    100_1212.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 1

dgadee

Visit site
I have a fanless mini PC which uses very little power. Display is a caravan TV set. Works well with openCpn.

Maybe getting oldish now, but would use this approach again, maybe putting it together from components.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a fanless mini PC which uses very little power. Display is a caravan TV set. Works well with openCpn.

Maybe getting oldish now, but would use this approach again, maybe putting it together from components.

I have the same.

I have a TV/computer monitor at the nav station and a Car DCD screen in the cockpit. The outside screen is driven with a video signal from a VGA to Video converter got from E-Bay.

The cockpit screen is driven and powered with a 4 wire cable carrying the 12VDC and video signal,

Nav station

jD8Nltu.jpg

Cockpit display

P91H5uX.jpg

siwhi

Visit site
Thanks all for some creative answers to this one. Food for thought, and clearly you're all some way ahead of me on this.

I agree with you Yngmar, the "industry" chartplotters are far too expensive, and having had a couple of near misses recently where crew on watch didn't zoom in on the vector charts (which are the ones visible from the helm), I'm sticking with raster, which at the moment means Open CPN and VisitMyHarbour Admiralty charts on the chart table and the same charts via the Marine Navigator app on a tablet for the helm. Seems to me there could be an untapped market for someone to develop a networked drop-in plotter replacement. The "industry" will obviously try to protect what they have with more networking, but how long can that last? I can't see myself buying a £2k plotter to replace the old dead one anytime soon.

GHA

Visit site
Well, not sure there's any zoom problem using vector with Opencpn, just make sure the detail level is set up OK. But leaving that aside..
Since you'll be down there doing wiring anyway it might be worth considering a raspberry pi to do all the wifi side of things, it will also run opencpn but don't think the visitmyharbour raster chart will work, not a problem if you are using a win10 tablet to view though. Takes about 0.3A and where a Pi running openplotter wins against other options is the ease of setting up and just how cheap and easy it is to add other sensors, thermometers a few quid each, barometer, very accurate volt meter same and electronic compass less than a london beer. Wiring is pretty straight forward.