Motoring yachts & sailing dinghies

onesea

Visit site
And unless special harbour laws apply, by ColRegs a yacht under motor needs to keep clear of vessels under sail, including all racing dinghies or yachts. So if you don’t want to check the racing calendar then be ready to do lots of giving way.
Can I also remind you that unless local rules apply, of some other rules:
Rule 6: Safe Speed,
Rule 9: Narrow Channels,
Rule 13: Overtaking vessels,

If I recall racing rules do not apply between sailing boats, unless specified in the racing rules. So 2 racing boats in separate races/ regatta's n theory should use IRPCS to avoid collission.

Often the correct thing for a power driven vessel to do is maintain her planned course. Possibly reduce speed to maintain a safe speed.

In an practice it's often a little give and take. I have raced and can often predict the actions of a racing fleet, to help avoid them or pass them with minimum disruption.

However there are times when you are left little choice, then most racers seem to accept the issue.

Cruisers/ non racing sail boats can often be as obstructive as a whole fleet of racing boats.

For the OP increasing speed, impatients? Not wishing to be annoyed when said sail boat crosses bow then tacks back before clear so they get more delay. Making sure they get to the better berth first?

Last edited:

WFA

Visit site
Walton is a doddle compared to engaging Waldringfield's multiple and highly competitive dinghy fleets while in a rush to cross the bar with water to spare!
I am finding the increasing lack of knowledge and courtesy of new arrivals to boating in general is far more concerning than encounters with youngsters finding their way around a race course.