Motoring yachts & sailing dinghies

johnalison

Visit site
Sensible yachtsmen have adjusted times of departure for tides, weather and other factors for years. Giving them information on t8mes of racing gives the opportunity to have a stress free departure shoukd they choose to so.
On the other hand if you can depart entirely under sail upwind on starboard tack, then feel free to depart when you want. But if motoring, on port tack or upwind boat then as give way vessel under ColRegs you may need to do a lot of giving way,
That just isn't how cruising works. A boat in Titchmarsh or the Twizzle may set out on a rising tide to get to Ipswich on free flow or the Deben before ebb. Nobody is going to go hunting around for the WFYC racing calendar to see if their slot is not available because some dinghies are racing. The channel is as much a channel for yachts as an area of water for dinghies, and competence and care are required from both parties.

dunedin

Visit site
That just isn't how cruising works. A boat in Titchmarsh or the Twizzle may set out on a rising tide to get to Ipswich on free flow or the Deben before ebb. Nobody is going to go hunting around for the WFYC racing calendar to see if their slot is not available because some dinghies are racing. The channel is as much a channel for yachts as an area of water for dinghies, and competence and care are required from both parties.
And unless special harbour laws apply, by ColRegs a yacht under motor needs to keep clear of vessels under sail, including all racing dinghies or yachts. So if you don’t want to check the racing calendar then be ready to do lots of giving way.

johnalison

Visit site
And unless special harbour laws apply, by ColRegs a yacht under motor needs to keep clear of vessels under sail, including all racing dinghies or yachts. So if you don’t want to check the racing calendar then be ready to do lots of giving way.
No, I don't want to check the racing calendar. Why the heck should I?

johnalison

Visit site
As noted you don’t need to, just keep clear of all sailing vessels if under power - and don’t grumble if the channel is busy
You are ascribing motives and behaviour to me that you have no justification for. At no time in this discussion have I implied that either party should do anything but what is polite, safe and within the rules. In spite of what you say, there are situations where sail has to give way to power, such as rule 13, and many larger yachts in this area are potentially constrained by draft and manoeuvrability, even if not to the extent needed to display shapes, and generally cannot speed up or slow down rapidly. This means that a motor vs tacking situation involves anticipation some time ahead and there will always be times when one or other party makes a misjudgement.

On the whole, I think I am rather good at it, if I say so myself, which is why I don't believe that I have ever had an antagonistic encounter with a dinghy in the Walton channel. Neither have I ever, ever, grumbled about the presence of dinghies. If anything I look forward to the challenge.

fredrussell

Visit site
But this is dependent on BOTH parties knowing and observing Colregs. In my experience, dinghy racers often either don’t have this knowledge, or do but choose to be ‘somewhat flexible’ in their adherence to the regs. Obviously you don’t expect a 7 yr old in an Oppie to know this stuff, but I’ve had a couple of encounters with adult dinghy crews who clearly hadn’t the faintest idea about them.

ylop

Visit site
I think the replies so far have missed the point I was trying to make - why not simply slow down, for probably 30 seconds, rather than speed up and try and race ahead?
None of us were the skipper in question but my guess is he thought he was doing the dinghy a favour by getting out the way quicker. He may well have regarded himself as being restricted to the channel and the crossing vessel, and any sailing vessel having an obligation not ot impede his passage. Thus rather than impatience he may have believed we was doing the “right” thing by opening up more space aft of him.

Situations like this arise all the time on the roads and the seas. Whilst some are malaevolant that vast majority are either unthinking, poor judgement or in fact an error from the other party. One thing is for sure, you can bet the skipper of the yacht is not worked up about it!

oilybilge

Visit site
Years ago I was racing my Laser on the River Ore when the Lady Florence (the local floating restaurant) came up behind me. She'd just been bought by new owners: very nice people, but still learning the job. Politely and correctly they reduced their speed and followed behind me, thereby robbing me of all my wind. I was already towards the rear of the fleet but now began falling away entirely. I shouted and gestured for them to overtake but they probably couldn't even see me from the bridge. I came in last.

To make things worse, when I got home I went bursting into the kitchen, meaning to rant about it to my long-suffering mother, only to find that she had company: the new owners of the Lady Florence, who'd dropped by for a gin and tonic. I'm afraid I answered rather grumpily when they asked me how I'd done in the race. And after they'd gone there was the inevitable lecture from my mother about the virtues of Forbearance.

That was 35 years ago, but it still rankles.

Anyway, it does go to show that trying to be helpful often isn't. Sometimes the best thing to do is to hold a steady course and let them go around you. (Assuming that you're rather bigger than them.)

nortada

Visit site
Walton specific.

You don’t have to hunt down the W&FC racing calendar as the dinghies are kept at the club which only has water to launch from about 2 hours before high water and to permit the dinghies to recover to the club up Foundry Reach (that dries) racing finishes about high water.

Additionally, apart from special events, racing is confined to every other Sundays - so not much imposition to other water users.

ps We will be racing late this afternoon (1730), starting in the Twizzle.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Walton specific.

You don’t have to hunt down the W&FC racing calendar as the dinghies are kept at the club which only has water to launch from about 2 hours before high water and to permit the dinghies to recover to the club up Foundry Reach (that dries) racing finishes about high water.

Additionally, apart from special events, racing is confined to every other Sundays - so not much imposition to other water users.

ps We will be racing late this afternoon (1730), starting in the Twizzle.
I have enough trouble with the fortnightly wheeliebin collection without trying to remember your racing calendar! All I know is that when I leave or arrive near HW I won't be surprised to find dinghies in the creek. This is the height of the intellectual challenge I will set myself.

ianc1200

Visit site
I have enough trouble with the fortnightly wheeliebin collection without trying to remember your racing calendar! All I know is that when I leave or arrive near HW I won't be surprised to find dinghies in the creek. This is the height of the intellectual challenge I will set myself.

......& when you do, if possible go round the back of tacking dinghies. Race start is 6pm this evening.

Puffin10032

Visit site

They seem to arrange their races to coincide with spring tides on a Sunday so as long as you know what day of the week it is and whether it's springs or neeps it's not hard to predict when they'll be racing.

ianc1200

Visit site
They seem to arrange their races to coincide with spring tides on a Sunday so as long as you know what day of the week it is and whether it's springs or neeps it's not hard to predict when they'll be racing.

Like many EC clubs we usually do every other week, as we can only get out and back in again then at reasonable times. Tonight is a one off, usually we have a short season of evening races on a Wednesday (every other week) but this year just the one race.