More about the new Hurst shingle bar

burgundyben

Visit site
As I said on another thread, I dont think its new, I think whats happened is that a hook developed over a long time, a bit of the hook has washed away leaving the tip.

KeithMD

Visit site
Seems like Britain has got a new island that's not on most people's charts - Lentune Island - and it might be a hazard.

Sailors’ warning over Britain’s newest ‘island’ in the Solent
Sailors’ warning over Britain’s newest ‘island’ in the Solent

sailors are facing a fresh hurdle in the Solent with the emergence near Keyhaven of a shingle bank which has been dubbed “Lentune Island”. Lymington sailor Nick Ryley was among the first to make landfall, planting a flag to “claim” the new feature which has appeared over the winter.He told the A&T:
“This island, so-called by us Lentune Island, has sprung up in a short time across the route most locals use when avoiding the tide whilst coming into the Solent on the ebb, and exiting the Solent on the flood.

Warning for sailors as 'new island' revealed
and
Shingle bank in the Solent is 'claimed' by two sailors

Tranona

Visit site
As an aside, interesting to know the origin of Lentune as many years ago I admired a 12 ton Gauntlet called Lentune. Now appreciate why it had that name being designed and built at Berthons. Mind you the gloss went off a bit when I saw the owner struggling with broken frames in the canoe stern. Seem to remember he sold it and bought a lovely Dickies built all teak motor sailor with a Gardner 3LW. Boat was called Turag and is still around, but not seen anything on Lentune for 30 idd years.

KeithMD

Visit site

From that BBC page:

Lifeboats operations manager Alastair MacKay said: "We've been watching for the last month or two - it seems to have grown in that time to what we seen now. "A lot of boaters out there won't be aware of it. Even at high tide, the water is going to be much more shallow. The potential is for boats to go aground on it - that's what we're worried about it."
He warned that existing nautical charts would not show the formation so should be considered "inaccurate".

burgundyben

Visit site
See these two screen shots, with and without the satellite overlay.

Its not new been there years, its just washed through isolating the end.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230302_092758_Boating.jpg
    Screenshot_20230302_092758_Boating.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20230302_092818_Boating.jpg
    Screenshot_20230302_092818_Boating.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 57

Needsailing

Visit site
Navionics amended the area in January, you will need to 'update maps' in the Boating App or put your Chart Plotter card into your PC and use Navionics Chart Installer to bring them up to date.

Attachments

• Hurst.jpg
    Hurst.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 13

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Odd thing on (my) Navionics app: Lentune Island update is showing on the iPhone but not the iPad (which is what I use to update the plotter card). Same app subscription on phone and tablet. Both showing “charts up to date.” One to watch, if navigating by iPad….

Needsailing

Visit site
Odd thing on (my) Navionics app: Lentune Island update is showing on the iPhone but not the iPad (which is what I use to update the plotter card). Same app subscription on phone and tablet. Both showing “charts up to date.” One to watch, if navigating by iPad….
My IPAD and phone showing the updated details at hurst. Make sure the IPAD has been connected to the internet and click menu - update maps