Moorings in South of France

davidphillips

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help with our trip down the French Canals so far. We've got to St Jean de Losne after a marvellous time (we intended to just go through the system but ended up taking two years!). We would like to travel down the Saone/Rhone to the south next month.
I hear stories of overcrowded marinas and long waiting lists. The advice has been to stay in the canal system (we have a sailing boat with mast on deck). I'd appreciate any advice about places to leave the boat over the autumn/winter.

LadyJessie

Visit site
My experience of the French Riviera is that it is very easy to get winter moorings. It is the full year contracts that require you to go to extreme measures and and even then there is a waiting list.

I have had no problems getting a winter berth in Hyeres or Cogolin, both very good and safe marinas. Or if you are adventurous; there are always winter berths in St Tropez in a beautiful area, although somewhat exposed to the winter storms..... You might even get a berth in the old classic harbour of Cannes if you time it right.

In summary, lots of places in the south of France during the winter. But if you want to keep that space during the summer: forget it.