Moonraker 36 Moulds for sale.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

When we first started boating on the Thames, we used to regularly meet a yellow Moonraker (Big Yellow?) and the owner told us it was the only one. It looked simply ginormous to us towering over our little sports boat. How your expectations change!
IMHO, it's a non starter for resurrection. It has no pedigree and the design is clearly a 1970's product so it couldn't be sold as a retro style boat like a Fairey. Also the hull is nowhere near as good as the latest designs. In fact AFAIK it has a reputation for being a bit of a handful in a following sea

Chris_d

Visit site
Theres a yellow hulled Moonraker still going up and down the river, owned by forumite BG1. Sounds like he's got about a bit if its the only one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oldgit

Visit site
"bit of a handful in a following sea "

While meandering through several websites devoted to the JCL marque and Moonrakers,came a across a post from a puzzled owner.
He mentioned that he was not inexperienced in boating with that particular class of craft,but did comment that he was mystified by this allegation and that despite searching the web was unable to find any hard information other than 2nd or third hand stories from people who had never actually owned this particular boat.
From my personal boating can definately state that my Bennett hull is no great fun at all in those conditions either.

BG1

Visit site
Thanks for the mention Chris. I have indeed "got about a bit".

Holland in the North, Falmouth in SW, and C.I and Brittany in South and all stops inbetween several times over! Spread over the 20 odd years I've owned Golden Sands.

I also have heard stories of poor handling in following seas, but must say I've never experienced it. If it gets a bit hairy I try to adjust the speed (or direction) to suit the conditions. I would say though that it is a wet boat and I know this well as I helm almost exclusively from flybridge!

Chine riding is not a problem as the boat is sub 20kts. The problem was more keel riding than chines, and there were were some Moonrakers built without (box) keels, may even include the moulds for sale. The chines were modified from series D and were much improved. I believe some early Brooms also suffered from keel riding if overpowered.

There are four yellow Moonrakers in UK that I know of; Yellow Moon in Hasler, Rekarnoom in Farndon, Theme Song in Chertsey and my own in Bray. If anybody is interested in the marque then look at www.Moonraker.DK operated by a VERY KEEN owner, but a good website and wealth of information. phew!

Divemaster1

Visit site
Agree wholeheartedly here.... most people believe hat just becaus the boat can do a certain speed, that it should be capable of doing so, particularly in what people percceive as "easy" conditions ... such as in following seas..... Un-fortiunately, all hulls are a compromise based upon what the public want and what can be acheived... sharp, deep entry means good headway in head seas,but useually wet ... and may be challenging at speed in following seas, and vice-versa. WE all compromise with modified V's, deep V's, length vs width, displacement, semi displacement, planning etc. Main thing here is that you need to get to know your hull and take appropriate actions accordingly.
The Moonrakers are a great heritage and I love them to bits, having had a vacation onboard one (fulfilling a dream) with 175's...and did consider them an alternative before we found the boat we eventually bought.

oldgit

Visit site
We must have the biggest collection down here on the Medway just about anywhere.Must be at least 10-20 of all flavours between Gillingham and Yalding.Most seem to be around Cuxton.

Lesdyxic

Visit site
cheap?

I now own the Moonraker mould tools.

They are the 'F' design, the final. I'm told the previous design issues are addressed, but let's be honest, this is never going to blow your socks off, modern designs will always beat in for speed. (I also have the tools for a more modern 32' fast cruiser, looking at that more for sales)

Still looks good though, the old girl?

I'm not entirely sure where the (sales) market might be, either. It's my intention to a small charter 'fleet', of maybe 7 or 8, to place around Europe for charter.

Wondered if devotees might like to rent one a week at a time....

moonraker 36

Visit site
Hi basically it does not ride level, falling off centre on to one side of the hull or the other depending on conditions, this happens when you push the hull design beyond its intended design speed.

Hulls designed and built years ago were tested with engines that were available in that day and age, like the moonraker which had as low as 2x 100hp Bedford bus engines, then the later perkins ht6354 engines at 145hp gradually increasing over the years to 175/185 and 220 in the last moonrakers built by JCL marine, a friend had one and boy did it go! but the keel digs in and throws the boat around, which can be unpredictable to say the least!.

The Fairline 40 had a similar hull and had a long production run by todays standards again started off with a pair of 212 mermaids the last ones had 2x 306 volvos again the speed increase caused the hull to skip about on the chines rather than run on the flatter aft part sections of the hull.

Hope this explains a few things.

Maybe w will get some naval architect to come along with a full explanation, ive rode on both boats in my working life, thats why a modern princess and fairline feel much better at speeds above 20 knots.

well mine def dose not chine ride...
theirs one up for sale with twin 330hp iveco's ask him if it chin ride's...

can't find any other comment's on the net..that moonraker's suffer from chine ride.
apart from yourself paul.

Last edited:

Lesdyxic

Visit site
Moonraker

Well, we'll see, I do intend to really upsec the interior, and along with a few external alterations, well, as I say, we'll see. As soon as I have it on CAD I'll show some 3D images, see what the feedback is.
I wanted one for myself, we'll see where it goes from there.

PCUK

Visit site
Whatever the general consensus, it will be an exciting project and I'll be looking forward to seeing the results.
Shame there's no practical mag' for motor boats now that boat has gone as it would have made a brilliant series!

oldgit

Visit site
"They are the 'F' design, the final. I'm told the previous design issues are addressed"

" F design" ? ??..... Out of interest do you know what MODS were done and where on the hull and why and by who.
Just an interested bystander :)

Firefly625

Visit site
Well, we'll see, I do intend to really upsec the interior, and along with a few external alterations, well, as I say, we'll see. As soon as I have it on CAD I'll show some 3D images, see what the feedback is.
I wanted one for myself, we'll see where it goes from there.

please keep on posting on this forum, would be rather odd, but in a good way, to see a brand new Moonraker! I too lusted after these as a kid...back in the day it was either a Moonraker, a Fairey Huntsman or one of the Sheerwater hydrofoil passenger ferry's (preferably number 5) I wanted when I grew up!

MystereMarcus

Visit site
please keep on posting on this forum, would be rather odd, but in a good way, to see a brand new Moonraker! I too lusted after these as a kid...back in the day it was either a Moonraker, a Fairey Huntsman or one of the Sheerwater hydrofoil passenger ferry's (preferably number 5) I wanted when I grew up!

I think we must be of similar age / taste. When I started boating years ago in North Wales I fell in love with both a Fairey Huntsman and a Moonraker that were on the river (incidentally it was a yellow Moonraker). I managed to get a Huntsman but bypassed the Moonraker for her big sister. I would love to see a new take on a Moonraker it would be very nostalgic. Lesdyxic please post lots of images.

Lesdyxic

Visit site
Mods

I don't is the simple answer. I know what I've picked up from talking to various parties, all of whom see things only from their own perspective, like most of us.

Going through the drawings (lovely old things, a piece of art in themselves) I've not looked to see if there is any evidence that the mould tools were revised in line with the drawings, vice versa, or whether adaptations were made during construction of the mould tools (or indeed the boats) without reference to the original design.

This revision has a keel, (I'm told 'D' was without a keel?) and speaking to people with first hand knowledge of boats made from this mould tool, there don't appear to specific issues relating to chine riding, (any more or less than any other chine boat), and also people who have had them out in all conditions and don't report particular problems in a following sea. I think ability at the helm would certainly make a big difference to perception on that one. Any boat handles badly under a given combination of circumstances? But that's a throwaway observation, really. I'd bet good money that 90% of the contributers to this thread know more than I will ever know about boats in general, and Moonrakers in particular.

Last edited:

MystereMarcus

Visit site
MM,

Just had a look at your page for your Huntsman and its very very slow, even crashing Chrome which is nigh on impossible.

Perhaps you have a coding error...

Thanks Whitelighter, I think I know the problem and will get onto it.
It would be really embarrassing if anyone on here knew that I was an IT consultant :D

Lesdyxic

Visit site
---------> Marcus

And Marcus, yes, I will post as much as I can.

I assume from the 'big sister', you have a Mystere?

Having been told the mould tools were no more, from long ago, I was told recently they had (or at least in part, hull and s/structure.) survived. I set off to buy them, with the intent of adding them to my 'stable', only to find that they are no more. But had I been a little sooner the guy would not only have given them to me, he may have been prepared to pay me to take them away, as they ended up filling many skips.

Tragedy? I think the Mystere still looks like a 'new' boat?

MystereMarcus

Visit site
And Marcus, yes, I will post as much as I can.

I assume from the 'big sister', you have a Mystere?

Having been told the mould tools were no more, from long ago, I was told recently they had (or at least in part, hull and s/structure.) survived. I set off to buy them, with the intent of adding them to my 'stable', only to find that they are no more. But had I been a little sooner the guy would not only have given them to me, he may have been prepared to pay me to take them away, as they ended up filling many skips.

Tragedy? I think the Mystere still looks like a 'new' boat?

I do indeed have a Mystere (the last one built). It is a tragedy about the moulds. I had heard some time ago that they had turned up in a back garden in Norfolk (looking closely at the superstructure mould I think it may have been the Mirage). If you had managed to get them you would be halfway to resurrecting JCL :cool:
Where abouts are you located, I assumed Norfolk?